Is the Wested jacket a true fit?

deckard24

Hey everyone, I'm a new addition to The Raven, and I could use your advice. I've been planning on ordering a Wested for a while now, and I know it's custom made to your own precise measurements, but is it as bulky as some bomber jackets? Based on what I've seen, it looks pretty slim fitting especially the Raiders jacket, which is what I'm hoping for. The Temple jacket I read is the same as the Raiders just longer, and the Crusade jacket has a bigger collar and to my eyes looks bulkier. I like the look of the Raiders best, but more importantly I want a jacket that is more of a true fit. I'd appreciate your opinions, Thanks:whip:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The jacket has four inches of movement room. The pattern has been modified a bit to fit many body types, but an "original" 80s cut is available as an option. I think that the jackets which have the 80s cut have a tighter waist measurement and the sleeves are also better fitting. Ford's jacket size went from RotLA and ToD 40 to LC 44, that's why it looks bulkier. More info at Club Obi-Wan, http://indygear.com/cow/viewforum.php?f=2

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I own a Raiders style in Authentic Brown Lambskin, bought it in July '05. Here's an old pic:

netti3.jpg

Note that it's one size larger than my exact size would be, so it has some growing room and I can stuff heavier clothes underneath during the winter.

deckard24

VP, that's a great jacket! I spent quite a while researching on the Indygear forum, but I'm still a bit in the dark on some questions. You seem very knowledgeable, so I'd appreciate your thoughts. First off is that an 80's cut on your jacket? I'm leaning towards one, but I want to be able to wear it in cold weather with a sweater or light fleece underneath, but at the same time I don't want it to be bulky. I'm about 6ft/185 lbs , and my build is on the slimmer side so I don't want to swim in my jacket. As far as the Raiders and TOD jacket, they look like slimmer fits than the LC jacket, and I prefer the smaller collar size on those. Do you own a TOD as well as your Raiders? I saw fans pics of their jackets, and one showed the difference with arms stretched out, with the 80's and standard fit. The standard looked substantially baggier, which I'd like to avoid. I'm assuming since Peter customizes each jacket that sizing will definitely reflect your build, but would you recommend taking your measurements with a thin sweater on so the jacket does'nt arrive to tight? Thanks a lot man!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
No that's the standard cut and my only jacket. I read somewhere that you can fit a thin fleece under an 80's cut jacket, but that's about it. Measure yourself with a t-shirt or so and give them your exact measurements, then specify that you'd like to have some room for clothes and they'll cut the jacket with the extra room.

deckard24

VP, if you don't mind me asking how tall are you because based on your pic, we look to have the same build, and the look of your jacket is just what I'm looking for, not too bulky and not too slim fitting. I just don't want to have one that looks like a baggy varsity jacket or like some bombers I've seen. Plus, do you let yours just distress naturally over time, or have you done stuff to speed up the process.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I'm 6'2" or 188cm, 205 pounds or 93 kilos. Most of the jacket has aged naturally, you can see some experiments of sandpaper on the shoulder. I can wear a sweatshirt and a scarf underneath, and do so practically daily during the winter. Here's an even older pic:

2.jpg

Eric Solo

Wested

I normally wear a 44 Long in jackets, so I ordered a 44 Long initially (Goatskin). The 44 seemed too big. It fit in the chest, but the shoulders were too broad and it didn't lay flat across the back.

Later, I bought a 42 in authentic brown lambskin and it fit perfectly. Indy's jacket fit quite snugly in Raiders.

In my experience, I definitely recommend the smaller size in lambskin.

Lambskin seems to get that aged/worn appearance more readily and it is very comfortable and supple.

deckard24

Thanks for the tips guys, looks like I'll go with the standard cut, because I do want to be comfortable at the end of the day! I'm a little bit shorter than you VP, so based on your pic, a standard cut looks like it would work for me.:gun: