Questions for Treating a Lambskin Jacket

deckard24

I just recently stopped into a Wilson's Leather store and found a great Indy like lambskin jacket on clearance that I just couldn't pass up. I've been wanting to buy a Wested for a while, but just couldn't justify the cost with other bills to be paid. I may still get one one day in the not too distant future, but for now this is good enough for me.

The jacket which if I can figure out how to post a pic will show, has a lot of the characteristics of the Wested. I know it's not exact as it doesn't have the same pockets or the straps on the back, but it's still really nice looking and I'm wondering how to treat it. I've read about Pecards leather lotion, and I've also seen waterproofing sprays. I've heard the argument not to do anything to it, but just let it age naturally and develop its own distressing and patina. Yet there are a lot of people in the treat it camp. I'm unsure of which way to go. I owned one other leather jacket before and I don't think I did anything to it, and it got a whitish discoloration in some areas.

Some help from you Wested wearers or other leather gurus would be appreciated!

deckard24

How is Letap different from Pecards?

Also, since I know you own a Wested lambskin, will it age and distress on its own even if treated or does it prevent it from happening? I'd like to make the jacket last a while, but I also wouldn't mind it getting a nice weathered lived in look!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The look doesn't change much, but the feel of the leather returns from the rain-hardened stuff back to the original butter soft lamb. :cool: I've only used the classic Pecard Leather Dressing, compared to Letap it's a whole different thing. Pecard's is sticky and yellowish and takes a while to soak in, it's not for lambskin as it won't soak in and will remain on the surface making it sticky. Letap is especially for lambskin, it comes as foam in a spray can, looks exactly like shaving cream and liquifies instantly. Letap won't return the scratched surface, but it might return some shine and will definitely return the softness of the leather.

HovitosKing

My father-in-law gave me an old leather bomber jacket of his, which remained untreated for several years, and ultimately it started to dry and crack. I would recommend treating once per year, as VP said, just to protect against unwanted wear and tear.

tekors

Hi, I have a Wested Lambskin Raiders and I am fully satisfied. I know Lambskin is a bit less durable than cowhide or goatskin.
But you know, at the end, all leathers need care, and they will tear apart in any situation.
Lambskin has the advantage of being lighter. Compared to my other cowhide jackets, the lambskin one is amazing, sometimes i just dont feel i am wear it. It's not heavy, it's comfy, soft and can be as durable as cowhide.
Besides, I do NOT intend on getting under a truck ;)

cheers!!!