Ep. 10: Barcelona, May 1917

Matinee Idyll

Now, I have little to no recollection of this episode... I saw it in full, but don't recall many details.

I remember the entrance to the secret hideout is accessed by sitting in the barber chair... and Terry Jones of the Pythons plays a spy. Oh, and there was a duel at the end.

Other than that, I'm out of the loop - was it a good episode? I don't recall many details.

I believe this photo was from this episode? Indy onstage doing some hip thrusting, while some comical espionage is going on in the audience?

yij43.jpg

Junior Jones

I like this episode, it's very funny. Terry Jones not only starred, but directed, so the style is a little different, but I like it.

This may be a good opportunity to address an aspect of the series that I think has resulted in a lot of the complaints, namely that the series encompassed a lot of different styles and genres. People who tuned in expecting the same action/adventure from the movies were confused and disappointed at the drama, comedy, romance, and mystery. Because it didn't live up to their expectations they hated the series. Each episode was directed by a different director, too, many with their own style which they applied to the Indy character. I personally loved the diversity and see it as a testimony to the strength and depth of the character that he can participate in such a broad range of situations and stories. That's just my opinion, you're entitled to your own.

Anyway, this episode was primarily comedy. A lot of it slapstick, and some of it verging on downright silly. With Terry Jones in the cast as well as directing, there was definitely a Monty Python feel to it.

A lot of the cast were European, with heavy accents, but I don't remember having too much trouble understanding them. Sadly, when this episode was edited into Espionage Escapades many of the voices were redubbed. They're easier to understand, but very distracting subconsiously since the synch is a little off and there's a sense that the sound and picture don't quite match up.

Some of my favorite parts:
The late William Hootkins (Major Eaton from Raiders) played Russian Ballet producer Diaghilev, a very unusual character. I've read that he really was as eccentric as he was portrayed in this episode.

A brief appearance by Pablo Picasso (quotes may not be 100% accurate):
Indy: Mr. Picasso, do you remember me? We met in Paris...
Picasso: Remember you? Of course I do! Norman! How have you been?
Indy: No, no. Norman Rockwell was the other kid. I'm Indiana Jones.
(Since the "Paris 1908" episode hadn't aired yet, this was a very intriguing scene. It made the subsequent episode that much more enjoyable.)

And finally the ballet performance during which Indy is supposed to just stand still, but instead uses his jeweled codpiece to flash a signal via Morse Code to his compatriots in the balcony thereby earning himself a rousing round of applause from the audience.

Bullwhip

Junior Jones said:
This may be a good opportunity to address an aspect of the series that I think has resulted in a lot of the complaints, namely that the series encompassed a lot of different styles and genres. People who tuned in expecting the same action/adventure from the movies were confused and disappointed at the drama, comedy, romance, and mystery. Because it didn't live up to their expectations they hated the series. Each episode was directed by a different director, too, many with their own style which they applied to the Indy character. I personally loved the diversity and see it as a testimony to the strength and depth of the character that he can participate in such a broad range of situations and stories. That's just my opinion, you're entitled to your own.

Agreed, well said.

Flannery10

I haven't seen that many Young Indy episodes yet but I also agree with you on that. It's imporant to look at a character from different perspectives, which is why George Lucas, appointed differrent directors to the episodes. Sometimes Indy is shown as a naive young guy, who doesn't understand the cruelty of war (chapter 10: phantom train of doom) and in the next episode as a person, who does everything to protect a young child from being killed. (chapter 11: Oganga, Giver and Taker of Life). In one episode he is extremely smart and knows exactly, what to do in a difficult situation (like chapter 18: treasure of the peackock's eye) and in annother one he's just standing around having no clue what's going on (chapter 6: Spring break adventure). You see him mature during each episode and learn an important lesson.
That's exactly why I like this series so much, because it's always different and never gets boring.