Does anyone here have an actual 1917 Smith & Wesson?

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Yeah - I have an actual 1917 Smith and Wesson. Remember, the "1917" is simply a military designation for the first year of issue. Smith & Wesson 1917s were made up through the 1950s!

And now Smith & Wesson is making them again. Here's mine:

Raiders1917.jpg

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Yes my observant friend - YOU DO! :whip:

Indyguns.jpg

Incidentally, this is the same Webley on TheRaider.net siet gear page...In fact, most of that gear is mine come to think of it...

The sad story of this Webley is that until another main spring can be located, it is officially out of action. Of course, a professional gunsmith told me that this is one of the Webley's that has earned its "Wobbley" nickname and should not be fired again due to cylinder shake. Doesn't bother me too much - I never planned to shoot it anyway. But I'm still gonna get me a main spring and fix it!

Lao Che Pun

Is that a 5 1/2 inch barrel?

Also, would you mind if I asked you how much you paid for it? I've seen some prices for new ones around $1100.....I wondered if I could pick up a used for less?

IndyFrench said:
Yeah - I have an actual 1917 Smith and Wesson. Remember, the "1917" is simply a military designation for the first year of issue. Smith & Wesson 1917s were made up through the 1950s!

And now Smith & Wesson is making them again. Here's mine:

Raiders1917.jpg

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Yes - it is a 5.5-inch barrel. There were no original 1917s made with 4-inch barrels. All the barrels in Raiders were CUT to 4-inches. As for price, yes you might find a used one for a deal, but condition is key and used revolvers must be carefully inspected if one intended to use it upon purchase.

My Webley, for example, was always intended for display only. Good thing too - because the cylinder is beyond help. Most original 1917s in good to excellent condition will be priced between $750 and $1,200.

Lao Che Pun

Thanks for the info Indy French!

One more question though...do you know... do they make a 4 inch barrel option on the current Smith & Wesson 1917 model?

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
They make a Model 22 with a 4-inch barrel that is very similar to the 1917, same caliber .45 ACP, but the gun has a different ejector shroud under the barrel and, alas, it does not have the characteristic Raiders lanyard swivel on the butt.

China Jim

1918 Mark 6 the real deal

Well guys its been almost 5 years since the last time I have posted but I the nosy- historian / relic hunter here is back I will post in the intro sites about whats been going on with me. But onto the subject at hand I am the proud owner of a fully functional .455 Mark 6 revolver circa 1918 she is not modified and I have yet to get her to a range to shoot her I also own a Mark 6 holster I purchased it from the Military antiques site. For those of you who have a .455 and you need ammo check out the Buffalo Arms web site you can get Hornaday ammo for 18 dollars thats 20 rounds worth of shooting fun there was another add on the same site for 50 rounds I believe the price was around 25 dollars.\
Well that all for now I will await replies.
China Jim
James Campbell Jr
" History is the search for facts not truths. If you want truths the philosophy class is down the hall":gun: :whip: :D

China Jim

38 Sw

Which Movie? If you have a 38 S&W thats a 38 short round either for the Webley Mark 4 or the Victory model S&W circa WW2 The one Hes carrying in the new movie looks like a mark 6 to me Get back with me on that.:gun:

China Jim

China Jim said:
Which Movie? If you have a 38 S&W thats a 38 short round either for the Webley Mark 4 or the Victory model S&W circa WW2 The one Hes carrying in the new movie looks like a mark 6 to me Get back with me on that.:gun:
History is the search for facts not truths. If you want truths the philosophy class is down the hall
China Jim:gun: :whip:

ValenciaGrail

Yup, these older, larger bore guns are a hoot to shoot, but you need to sell your first born to afford the ammo.

I have S&W Model 29 .44 magnum which I don't shoot nearly as often as I'd like. It's bascially BANG! (one dollar) .... BANG! (two dollars)... BANG! (three dollars)

The Golden Idol

This is a bit off-topic, but is the gun that Indy uses in KOTCS the same Smith and Wesson gun from Raiders? I don't mean if it is the same individual gun or not, but is it the same type?

Grant Lutjens

I have one..Well....two. S&W 1917 .45ACP's

One is a "Collectible". Mint basically unfired. Paid $430 for it out of a pawnshop. Already had a offer for $750 and turned it down ;)
19172.jpg

The second is a "Using gun". Paid $350 for it and it is a blast to shoot. Dad reloads low-power .45 ammo so it is relatively cheap to shoot. And even factory ammo can be had for around $16 for 50 rounds..Not bad considering you can take a classic out and have fun with it...Shooting a piece of history :D

One Question if no-one minds going off-topic ;) Is Indy still using a Revolver in the new "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"? Or has he FINALLY upgraded to a automatic? A colt 1911 would be a good match to him ;)

Stork

What would Indy carry in 2008

A bit off subject, I also have a Webley, and thinking about getting the new 1917. I have not shot the Webley, but I plan too some day.
Anyway, hypothetically, if Indy lived in 2008, and seeing someone caring a gun and a whip down the streets of Cairo was the norm, what weapon, apart from the whip, would Indy be caring now? I searched to see if this had been posted but could not find a thread.
Only two guns come to mind, one is the Glock because that thing is indestructible, and the other is a revolver (Indy has to has a revolver) called the Medusa by Philip and Rogers, unfortunately out of production. The Medusa wins for me because it takes three different cartage, 9mm, 38, and 357 (and one can mix them). So I figure that in theory if he had to reload findding any of the above in a remote part of the world would be easier than say a one caliber.:gun:
What do you all think?
Stork

cdsearcher

Wobbley Webley Not!

The sad story of this Webley is that until another main spring can be located, it is officially out of action. Of course, a professional gunsmith told me that this is one of the Webley's that has earned its "Wobbley" nickname and should not be fired again due to cylinder shake. Doesn't bother me too much - I never planned to shoot it anyway. But I'm still gonna get me a main spring and fix it!

Last year, while taking a gun safety course at a local small gunsmith shop, I saw a Webley Mark III that a customer had brought in for an overhaul. The gunsmith said the owner had been firing the pistol and was lucky it did not blow up on them since there was so much play in the cylinder. Fascinated by the Webley, about two months later I picked up a 1917 Webley MkVI in its original .455 caliber for $600 (a bargain!) at a local gunshow. After some study on some gun forums on the web, I found that the design of the Webley is such that the "wobbley" cylinder is actually normal and often confuses gunsmiths who are not familiar with the model. To check that all is indeed okay (at least with the cylinder locking mechanism) do the following:

1. Hold the pistol in you hand and check the play in the cylinder (uncocked), there should be about an 1/8" play.
2. Now **** the hammer back, the slack in the cylinder is significantly less.
3. Holding the hammer back with your thumb, pull on the trigger; there should now be no slack, the cylinder should by locked tight. This is the firing mode of the pistol. If all is well with the mechanism there should be no play in the cylinder.

Of course always have any gun checked out with a gunsmith before firing, but since these guns are very old and rarely seen anymore, some of the knowledge of their quirks have been lost by modern gunsmiths.

I highly recommend picking one of these beauties up if found! A wonderful piece of history. I picked up some 0.455 ammo and it shoots like a dream. Despite many being ground down to shoot .45ACP ammo, I would not recommend it. The pistol was not designed to handle the pressures of modern ammo, the cylinder might explode.

Now if I could only find (and afford) an Webley Automatic Revolver!

Cheers - cd