Flannery Interview

Deckard

I stumbled upon this by accident.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=52932

Sean Patrick Flanery, who gained fame as the title character in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, told SCI FI Wire that he looks back upon his experiences on the 1990s TV show as the world's greatest history lesson.

Flanery spent three seasons playing the adolescent version of the intrepid adventurer in three-dozen-plus George-Lucas-produced episodes and made-for-television movies, now collected as The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. The show was filmed on locations all around the world and featured Indy interacting with real-life historical figures.

"It was probably more of a history lesson for me than anybody else, because I got the stacks of research material," Flanery said in an interview while promoting the April 29 release of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones: The Years of Change, a 10-disc set that includes seven feature-length movies, educational documentaries and interactive games and timelines. "I went to high school and university and everything else, and I learned more within that [time] of shooting Young Indy about history than I ever would have at university."

The Years of Change is the third and final collection of Young Indy DVDs, and it includes "Masks of Evil," in which Indy heads to Transylvania and takes on Vlad the Impaler and his army of the living dead; the jazz-themed "Mystery of the Blues," with Indy encountering musician Sidney Bechet, gangster Al Capone and a youthful Eliot Ness; and "Hollywood Follies," in which Indy works with film directors Erich von Stroheim and John Ford.

"I love 'em, man," Flanery said. "I mean, I really do. It's one of those things that ... it holds up. I don't cringe when I see it again. It's one of those things I think I'm going to be proud of until the day I die. I really love these. Jeffrey Wright played Sidney Bechet [in 'Mystery of the Blues'], and he's gone on to have a very well-respected, great career. That was one of the few we shot stateside. We shot that in Wilmington, N.C., and had a ball doing it. That's absolutely one of my favorites."

Flanery, who went on to star in such films as Powder and such TV series as The Dead Zone, added: "Having said that, you know, I'd be hard-pressed to name any [Young Indy episode] that I really didn't have fun shooting and that I really don't like the final product on. And I'm not saying that just to promote it. I really believe that. I really like them." --Ian Spelling