Demons of Deception (or Paris, October 1916)

Raiders90

I have to say, the Paris part of Demons of Deception, is pretty racy. Indy is acting like a typical teenage guy--all he wants is some *ahem* fun. And Mata Hari behaves not so lady-like as well. Pretty racy stuff for what people call a kid's show (imo, YIJ wasn't and isn't a kid's show). A great episode in my humble opinion, and while not an ''adventure'', Flannery is very much Indy in this one.

phantom train

Re: this Paris 1916 sequence in "Demons of Deception", it's worth noting that:

* The sequence on the DVD (and maybe the VHS, though I haven't seen that) would probably be considered R-rated (if it had a rating), whereas when it was first broadcast on U.S. network TV back in 1992/1993 it would've been PG or PG-13 - these scenes as they appeared on the DVD wouldn't have been allowed on network U.S. TV in the 1990's.
They must've filmed these scenes, then edited them out for TV, but put them back in when Lucas made the tele-films.

* Also interesting is that I've seen a picture of the real Mata Hari, and she looked nothing like the gorgeous, statuesque redhead who plays her in this YIJC episode. The real Mata Hari was much less attractive, IMHO.

* It was cool to see Ian McDiarmid (who plays Emperor Palpatine in the SW films) as a professor in this episode.

Stoo

phantom train said:
They must've filmed these scenes, then edited them out for TV, but put them back in when Lucas made the tele-films.
Right you are, my friend. The TV version is much tamer.

TalonCard

phantom train said:
Also interesting is that I've seen a picture of the real Mata Hari, and she looked nothing like the gorgeous, statuesque redhead who plays her in this YIJC episode. The real Mata Hari was much less attractive, IMHO.

IIRC, Indy sees a picture of the real Mata Hari on his way to Mexico in Curse of the Jackal/Spring Break Adventure. I feel his "Your pictures don't do you justice" line is explanation enough for this attractive inaccuracy. ;)

phantom train said:
* It was cool to see Ian McDiarmid (who plays Emperor Palpatine in the SW films) as a professor in this episode.

This was the main reason why my family decided to watch Demons instead of Adventures in the Secret Service. Thus the weird looks. :p

TC

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
The TV version is much tamer.
For some reason everyone from Blossom to Doogie Howser was losin' it in prime time, so it was probably wise for a struggling show to avoid the increasing scrutiny.

But the novelization didn't hold back.

TalonCard

tupogirl said:
I know I did NOT see nipples back in 93!

Mata Hari's nipples are shown in the DVD?!? :eek: :confused: :eek: I can't believe it....

....this completely contradicts an important plot point in the novelization. I can't believe Lucas would do this to us! (n)

;)

TC

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
TalonCard said:
Mata Hari's nipples are shown in the DVD?!? :eek: :confused: :eek: I can't believe it ....this completely contradicts an important plot point in the novelization.
I thought she only said they were bitten off by Vadim, but they weren't? I read somewhere she had "large discoloured nipples which she prefers not to reveal."

Stoo

Moedred said:
But the novelization didn't hold back.
I was following that thread and wanted to thank you for posting those choice excerpts.
Amazing how much discussion "The Mata Hari Affair" has generated around here lately!
Anyone spot the completely nude man and woman (who are posing for a painting, of course) during the museum scene?:eek: :whip:
No, I didn't notice! Adam, you just helped me unearth something extremely interesting!(y)
Rather than drop this scene in the original, all 3 nude model shots were digitally modified!
-The first long shot had the couple completely blocked by a pillar superimposed in the foreground.
-The frontal shot had the models larger on the screen and the artist was moved slightly over
to the left so that her elbow hides everthing except the male model's head & chest.
-The other long shot when they are leaving is impressive. One the large sculptures was
masterfully tucked in between Mata Hari and the models, who can't be seen at all.

It's been 15 years and I never picked out any digital tampering with this scene. Well done!
(This makes me wonder if there was any funky censorship like this in the sex scene...)

On another note...could that be Miss Seymour & Henry Jr. riding by in the carriage
when Indy & Mata Hari walk toward the Eiffel Tower?:p (Kidding)

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
On another note...could that be Miss Seymour & Henry Jr. riding by in the carriage
when Indy & Mata Hari walk toward the Eiffel Tower?:p (Kidding)

Time travel? Parallel universes collide? Hmm... :p

Stoo

Adamwankenobi said:
Time travel? Parallel universes collide? Hmm... :p
Ha ha! Yes, a time portal/doorway. Love it.
Indy & Mata Hari might be in "Paris, 1908"!:eek:

TalonCard

Moedred said:
I thought she only said they were bitten off by Vadim, but they weren't? I read somewhere she had "large discoloured nipples which she prefers not to reveal."

Well yes. But Indy never saw them in the novel, so if they were in the DVD we'd have a contradiction of epic proportions. Fortunately, it seems the only real nudity was that of the models (who were blurred out rather than digitally altered in the broadcast version of Demons.)

Crisis averted! ;)

TC

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
My God, we're still talking about Mata Hari! The version I saw on Youtube wasn't very revealing. No where near what you guys are talking about. I've got to wait a while longer before I see this. I can't afford the dvd's at the moment and Vol 3 hasn't come out yet.

tupogirl

Violet Indy said:
My God, we're still talking about Mata Hari! The version I saw on Youtube wasn't very revealing. No where near what you guys are talking about. I've got to wait a while longer before I see this. I can't afford the dvd's at the moment and Vol 3 hasn't come out yet.

It's not super obvious either... I just happened to notice it when I was watching it and it made me go 'huh'. LOL!