Flanery's Season 3 Mullet

Remy

I don't fully understand why they chose to give Sean Patrick Flanery longer hair for all the episodes filmed after the two ABC seasons. I don't mind the hair cut. It actually makes him look a little tougher. Unfortunately, when you see it in the middle section of Spring Break Adventure, the beginning section of Love's Sweet Song, every other scene in Daredevils of the Desert, and so on, it kind of ruins the illusion. It's fun to play "Which new scenes did Lucas add?", but it's not much of a challenging game with the hair length differences. For a different TV series that actually filmed episodes and seasons in relatively consecutive order, it wouldn't really matter. And for the original two-part episodes (like Peacock's Eye) it's fine, as long as all the scenes were filmed in the same year. But, in the situation where little scenes are added here and there, or when two episodes that were filmed years apart are pieced together, it's less successful, especially when the actor already looks a little older (or in the case of Corey Carrier, when the actor looks about 15 years older.)

tupogirl

It drives me crazy. They *seriously* couldn't give him a trim?

And his hair coarseness and color seemed to change after he did 'Powder' and kept his head shaved for 3 months. I think that might be part of it too.

Adamwankenobi

Welcome to The Raven, Remy! It's where the lights are on all nght... or something like that. :p

Remy said:
(or in the case of Corey Carrier, when the actor looks about 15 years older.)

That's even worse than Flanery's longer hair! :sick:

tupogirl

Welcome Remy:).

I heard they used some movie magic to make poor Corey shorter in those segments. I've only seen one so far though.

Remy

Yeah, Corey looks short, but he has the face and Peter Brady voice of someone old enough to leave home and join Pancho Villa. But computer trickery made him shorter. Great, so he's a Hobbit. Not very successful. I enjoy his episodes, but usually it's because I enjoy all the other actors and the stories. I'm glad Lucas went back and used him in a few more episodes for the good of the series, but he does look a little ridiculous.

tupogirl

Both guys aged a lot in the face too. Obviously Corey would, but Sean did too.

George picked a rough age to try to do so much with (Corey's age).

Remy

I agree. Both looked older in the face. Flanery went from boyish-looking to more adult-looking. Corey went from confident kid to awkward-phase teen. It's nobody's fault. And, hey, I enjoy all the episodes anyway. It's just a tad funny to me that they'll spend gobs of money on CGI effects to make Corey look shorter to match old footage, but won't grab a pair of scissors to make Flanery's hair look right.

tupogirl

Remy said:
I agree. Both looked older in the face. Flanery went from boyish-looking to more adult-looking. Corey went from confident kid to awkward-phase teen. It's nobody's fault. And, hey, I enjoy all the episodes anyway. It's just a tad funny to me that they'll spend gobs of money on CGI effects to make Corey look shorter to match old footage, but won't grab a pair of scissors to make Flanery's hair look right.

*grin* Remy had some odd facial hair too, lol. And Sean went through some 'funky' cuts and colors after the show too, it's not like he never cut it! Heck, even a wig might have worked, lol.

Actually, the episode with Edith Wharton *really* bothers me with the way he looks. It's probably my least favorite episode. They paired it with one of my favorites though, Italy 1917. To me, it totally looks like they filmed it as an afterthought and just popped it on the back of that one. And their relationship is weird to me.

Remy

Yeah, I see what you mean about Remy. On Love's Sweet Song, his mustache is normal-sized in Ireland, then it's really huge in the middle sequence on the boat (and his dialogue is rushed and incomprehensible), then he doesn't have a mustache at all for the rest of the episode.
Oh, I find the Edith Wharton episode pointless and creepy. I'll have to rewatch it to check out Sean's weird hair. Not sure why they bothered filming that episode at all.

tupogirl

Remy said:
Yeah, I see what you mean about Remy. On Love's Sweet Song, his mustache is normal-sized in Ireland, then it's really huge in the middle sequence on the boat (and his dialogue is rushed and incomprehensible), then he doesn't have a mustache at all for the rest of the episode.
Oh, I find the Edith Wharton episode pointless and creepy. I'll have to rewatch it to check out Sean's weird hair. Not sure why they bothered filming that episode at all.

Sean's hair is long and his face is thin and gaunt. The only redeeming point of the episode is the discussion about celebrities having a private life.

Yeah I was completely flummoxed when I noticed how odd both Remy and Indy looked in the bridge sequence, lol.

I was just reading an old 92 interview of Sean's and he was saying how careful and precise and perfectionistic Lucas was...How he'd have to redo scenes he thought were fine.

robweiner8

Wharton episode = creepy, unnecessary, awkward. The stuff involving the secret mission to find out about the weapons is alright, but the whole romantic part scares me.

tupogirl

robweiner8 said:
Wharton episode = creepy, unnecessary, awkward. The stuff involving the secret mission to find out about the weapons is alright, but the whole romantic part scares me.

And I sit there wondering if I'm *supposed* to perceive it as romantic. It is unsettling. The weapon search seemed like a last minute 'oh shoot, we need to make this a bit more relevant' bit.

Plus I also find Indy saying good bye to all the nurses creepy as well. Even though I realize it's a Hemingway/Farewell to Arms nod.

phantom train

Excellent thread! I'm glad so many others noticed the discrepancy in SPF's hair length in the bridging sequences - I agree this is very jarring and obvious that these were filmed at different times. I see no reason the hair couldn't have been cut in the back to fit the length it had been originally, unless SPF was working in another film/TV role at the time that required the long hair in the back. Even so, something could have been done to make the hair shorter.

I also noticed that in the bridging sequence between Ireland 1916 and London 1916, Remy's hair is longer/shorter than it is in the London 1916 episode, and I noticed the mustache as well. Very sloppy on the part of the editors. It would have been better not to have the bridging sequences at all than to have them look the way they came out.

Last edited:

Stoo

tupogirl said:
I heard they used some movie magic to make poor Corey shorter in those segments. I've only seen one so far though.
:confused: Where did you hear this and what shots? This is news to me.
Remy said:
Yeah, Corey looks short, but he has the face and Peter Brady voice
Ha! Welcome to The Raven, Monsieur Beaudoin.:hat:

Here's the story of a man named Brady
Who was living with 3 boys of his own
They were 4 men living all together
But they were all alone.
robweiner8 said:
Indy with the Foreign Legion!!! I LOVE this episode! It was one of the coolest things from the VHS releases.
Brand new Young Indy. What a GIFT!(y)

Indy's relationship with E.Wharton adds more dimension to his character but it was weird on the 1st viewing
in a what-exactly-is-going-on-here type of way.
phantom train said:
Very sloppy on the part of the editors. It would have been better not to have the bridging sequences at all than to have them look the way they came out.
Put the blame on the continuity/make-up departments. The editors did the best they could with what they had.
You're right, though, Remy's moustache continuity is off (and actually worse than Flanery's hair)!

tupogirl

Stoo, you ask the hard questions! I don't remember where I read it so I hope I did read it (that they made him shorter). I'll try to find it for you later, can't remember where it was.

Remy

Stoo said:
:confused: Where did you hear this and what shots? This is news to me.

I remember hearing about Corey Carrier being made to look younger digitally in some promotional stuff for the VHS releases of the series (though it didn't really matter since the Carrier episodes didn't make it to VHS). I probably heard it here at the Raven around that time when I was a mere lurker.

Ha! Welcome to The Raven, Monsieur Beaudoin.:hat:

Thank you!

Indy with the Foreign Legion!!! I LOVE this episode! It was one of the coolest things from the VHS releases.
Brand new Young Indy. What a GIFT!(y)
Put the blame on the continuity/make-up departments. The editors did the best they could with what they had.
You're right, though, Remy's moustache continuity is off (and actually worse than Flanery's hair)!

Does anybody know how long of a time it was between the filming of the four post-ABC TV movies (Hollywood Follies through Travels with Father) and the stuff filmed to make all the episodes into movies (My First Adventure part 2 through Winds of Change plus all the little added bits)? I always incorrectly assumed that all the "season 3" stuff was filmed at the same time, but Carrier looks quite a bit bigger in the second half of My First Adventure than he does in Travels with Father.

Raiders90

Remy said:
Does anybody know how long of a time it was between the filming of the four post-ABC TV movies (Hollywood Follies through Travels with Father) and the stuff filmed to make all the episodes into movies (My First Adventure part 2 through Winds of Change plus all the little added bits)? I always incorrectly assumed that all the "season 3" stuff was filmed at the same time, but Carrier looks quite a bit bigger in the second half of My First Adventure than he does in Travels with Father.

Well, I believe the ABC TV movies were released in 1994 (?), 1995, and 1996. I believe the stuff filmed to link the episodes was filmed either in 1996, or between 1996 and 1997.