Indy V as a Hammer Film

avidfilmbuff

I mentioned in a previous post that each of the Indy films seems to be a tribute to a different type of escapist entertainment. Raiders is a Saturday matinee film, Temple is 1930's pulp fiction, Crusade is a 1930's Hollywood Blockbuster, and Kingdom is a 1950's B movie. So if there is a fifth Indiana Jones, how would it be made to emulate. Well I know that many Indy fans are wishing for a more darker film, which gave me an idea. Why not make the fifth Indy film in the style of a Hammer horror film. For those of you who don't know, Hammer is a United Kingdom film production company that was notable for making horror films in the 50's, 60's, and the 70's. Reportedly, George Lucas is himself a huge Hammer fan, which would explain why Hammer alumni Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee were cast in the Star Wars films, besides the fact they are both terrific actors. But anyway, back to Indiana Jones, here is my proposition for a Hammer Indiana Jones film.

The film begins with some unrelated adventure. When he gets back to Marshall College he receives a letter from an old professor of his, played by none other than Christopher Lee, to meet him in Dartmoor, all you Sherlock Holmes fans should know where that is. When he arrives, his old professor asks him to recover some macguffin, which I have no idea what it would be. When he finds it he makes the shocking discovery that his old professor is actually the head priest of a sinister neopagan which wishes to use the macguffin to bring about evil spirits to help them take control of the world. The climax would be Lee successfully managing to raise the evil spirits, which instead destroys him, and it's up to Indy to drive them back to where they belong.

Making a Hammer Indy film would make for a perfect opportunity to make the darker Indy film that everybody wishes for. So how about it everyone? A Hammer Indy film?

James

avidfilmbuff said:
Making a Hammer Indy film would make for a perfect opportunity to make the darker Indy film that everybody wishes for. So how about it everyone? A Hammer Indy film?

My ideal scenario would be an Indy 5 that homages 50's horror, followed by a 6th which homages 50's adventure (ie. Indy and the Garden of Eden). (Mutt and Marion would be sidelined for the fifth, but would return for the finale.)

I actually had a story worked out (just for the hell of it) which was partially inspired by Hammer. Of course, suddenly it doesn't seem that original. :D

Rocket Surgeon said:
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=429364&highlight=ebola#post429364

For those of you who want a horror movie,consider the subject of a NONFICTION book: The Hot Zone as the inspiration for the mythology of zombies. The symptoms of ebola infection manifest themselves inaway aprimitive culture would interpret as zombies.
Imagine Indy encountering zombies in western Africa...

Say what? Ebola has nothing at all to do with the creation of the zombie legend. Zombie lure dates back much further than the first case of ebola. Zombisim is deeply rooted in voodoo legend, not Ebola... not even remotely.

ResidentAlien said:
Say what? Ebola has nothing at all to do with the creation of the zombie legend. Zombie lure dates back much further than the first case of ebola. Zombisim is deeply rooted in voodoo legend, not Ebola... not even remotely.

Allways fun to read your posts as everthing you read is an interpretation and you tend to f them up.

1.consider the subject of a NONFICTION book: The Hot Zone as the inspiration for the mythology of zombies

This was merely a quick easy and acessible reference to the subject matter...consider it.

Now, since you allways drag that dogsh t on your shoe into conversations, please:

Tell us all the earliest documented case of ebola?
Do you expect us to believe such a premordial killer didn't exist and even thrive BEFORE it's first documented outbreak?

I've been trying to keep an even kiel with my posts but yours simply come off as, simple and unduely condescending.

What is the weather like up your a$$?

Not even remotely...I feel sorry for you, to be so sure and so wrong is to miss so much.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Allways fun to read your posts as everthing you read is an interpretation and you tend to f them up.

1.consider the subject of a NONFICTION book: The Hot Zone as the inspiration for the mythology of zombies

This was merely a quick easy and acessible reference to the subject matter...consider it.

Now, since you allways drag that dogsh t on your shoe into conversations, please:

Tell us all the earliest documented case of ebola?
Do you expect us to believe such a premordial killer didn't exist and even thrive BEFORE it's first documented outbreak?

I've been trying to keep an even kiel with my posts but yours simply come off as, simple and unduely condescending.

What is the weather like up your a$$?

Not even remotely...I feel sorry for you, to be so sure and so wrong is to miss so much.

First documented case was 1976. Key word-- DOCUMENTED. Kinda hard to be the inspiration for something if no one knows it ****ing existed.

But yes, I am an idiot. :)

First zombie movies? The 1930s. Zombisim was a common belief derived from Haiti and nearby cultures dating back to the late 1800s. It is also believed to have evolved via various toxin and herbs that induce comatose states.

But yes, Ebola was the influence for Zombies in anything other than a Resident Evil game. *Rolls Eyes*

And that's to say nothing of George Romero's interpretation of the Zombie mythos (the prevelant interpretation in all modern popular incarnations of zombies). That was 1968... a full 8 years before Ebola was documented.

But yeah, sure-- it was likely around before it was documented. Absolutely. But ebola sure as **** didn't inspire something that was around long before anyone ****ing knew about it.

So drag your feet through the ****. --dumbass.

:) Have a nice day.

avidfilmbuff said:
Well anyway, about my idea?

Reminds me of an episode of The X-Files-- Hollywood AD. Against popular opinion, I detest that episode. But... if it was done well I suppose it could be intriguing. The most infuriating part of the whole X-Files debacle is that that episode started off as one of the better entries in the abysmal 7th season... and then deteriorated into trite comedy. But had it stayed serious, it had a vaguely Indiana Jones meets The X-Files vibe going on that I was really digging.

agentsands77

I do think a Hammer Horror angle would be a fine route for INDY V to take. It definitely fits, and could be really effective it done properly.

ResidentAlien said:
First documented case was 1976. Key word-- DOCUMENTED. Kinda hard to be the inspiration for something if no one knows it ****ing existed. But yes, I am an idiot. :)
Ah the truth has set you free...do you think for a moment those legends and stories may just have been the primitive cultures manner of documenting it?
Take a breath of fresh air and wipe the "dirt" from under your nose Sanchez...
Do you expect us to believe such a primordial killer didn't exist and even thrive BEFORE it's first documented outbreak?
Glad you could "key-in" on MY qualified term, "documented". It's a shame you cant grasp the rest.
After all, documentation is so available for primitive cultures...it's not as though we need archeologists to interpret findings for us. It's not like primitive cultures passed on their histories verbally because of the, lets say Norman Invasions for one easy example.
ResidentAlien said:
First zombie movies? The 1930s. (So fing what? what was the first zombie story?) Zombisim was a common belief[/B](like I'm trying to get through to you, there's NO documentation, of all the primitive cultures that no longer exist (PREHISTORY) your 30's movies and 1800's Haiti citings are the first records...surely you know LOTS of Sh t happened before that)derived from Haiti and nearby cultures dating back to the late 1800s. It is also believed to have evolved via various toxin and herbs that induce comatose states.(wow, great examples :rolleyes: great job debunking me with beliefs!:rolleyes: )
Igit! We know there are dead cultures, even today in South America there are primitive tribes with no recorded history...you're accounting for zombie lore with sh tty 30's movies and Haiti voodoo culture?
ResidentAlien said:
But yes, Ebola was the influence for Zombies in anything other than a Resident Evil game. *Rolls Eyes*
Played the first one, liked the idea, got bored put it down. But I can tell you’ve invested a lot of time in such worthwhile retreats. What a way to form an outlook. You must get your "hard news" from Jon Stewart too!
ResidentAlien said:
And that's to say nothing of George Romero's interpretation of the Zombie mythos (the prevelant interpretation in all modern popular incarnations of zombies). That was 1968... a full 8 years before Ebola was documented.
All right filmboy, we're all media consumers here, let's not lavish undue accolades on Romero. Don't take this the wrong way; taking you at your word is hazardous to sanity. You can't even grasp the qualifiers of the original post. Isn't there a new post on the Miley Cirus Thread you need to obsess on?
ResidentAlien said:
But yeah, sure-- it was likely around before it was documented. Absolutely.
That’s correct and since we don't know ANYTHING about the history of ebola...it IS an effective killer, and, putting it MILDLY we don't have complete records of cultures that existed even in RECENT times, and some that still exist, I think it's fair to say that ebola and man crossed paths many times. It's not a great stretch to believe that some of the cultures that experienced the horror could have inspired such tales. To be so sure of the contrary betrays your arrogance and ignorance.
ResidentAlien said:
But ebola sure as **** didn't inspire something that was around long before anyone ****ing knew about it.
Yeah written records = knowledge. Time to get your a$$ off your shoulders.
ResidentAlien said:
:) Have a nice day.
Stop watching underage girls on The Disney Channel and read a book...read two.

Last edited:
For someone alluding to the terms Rocket Scientist and Brain Surgeon in their name, you sure are neither.

In fact, your grasp of rational, logical argument is so shockingly abysmal that it's shocking to me that you are able to write at all.

Allow me to really spell this out for you.

Haiti, birthplace of the zombie myth, is located in the Caribbean.

Ebola came out of Africa. Located on the opposite side of the world.

Do you wish to continue your absurd tantrum or have you grasped your flagrant idiocy yet?

Stoo

avidfilmbuff said:
The film begins with some unrelated adventure. When he gets back to Marshall College he receives a letter from an old professor of his, played by none other than Christopher Lee, to meet him in Dartmoor, all you Sherlock Holmes fans should know where that is.
Have you read the opening prologue from the "IJ and the Monkey King" script? The haunted, Scottish castle was an early idea for a part of Indy 3 but it goes all the way back to the original brain-storming sessions for "Raiders". Plus, the Transylvania episode from Young Indy "Masks of Evil" contains many Hammer-ish moments. It's unique for the supernatural elements and is one of the darkest entries in the catalogue.:dead: (Bob Peck does an excellent Vlad!)

ResidentAlien said:
First zombie movies? The 1930s. Zombisim was a common belief derived from Haiti and nearby cultures dating back to the late 1800s. It is also believed to have evolved via various toxin and herbs that induce comatose states.
"Serpent and the Rainbow" is coming to mind. What is the earliest zombie film, Res? I'm curious to know...

Stoo said:
Have you read the opening prologue from the "IJ and the Monkey King" script? The haunted, Scottish castle was an early idea for a part of Indy 3 but it goes all the way back to the original brain-storming sessions for "Raiders". Plus, the Transylvania episode from Young Indy "Masks of Evil" contains many Hammer-ish moments. It's unique for the supernatural elements and is one of the darkest entries in the catalogue.:dead: (Bob Peck does an excellent Vlad!)

"Serpent and the Rainbow" is coming to mind. What is the earliest zombie film, Res? I'm curious to know...

I believe White Zombie in 1932.

ResidentAlien said:
For someone alluding to the terms Rocket Scientist and Brain Surgeon in their name, you sure are neither.In fact, your grasp of rational, logical argument is so shockingly abysmal that it's shocking to me that you are able to write at all.Allow me to really spell this out for you.Haiti, birthplace of the zombie myth, is located in the Caribbean.Ebola came out of Africa. Located on the opposite side of the world.Do you wish to continue your absurd tantrum or have you grasped your flagrant idiocy yet?

And Columbus discovered America, an apple fell on Newton,The Great Train Robbery was the first feature film,Magellan circumnavigated the world,and Jesus was born on December 25.

You hold on tight to your dreams...

I love your phrase:

ResidentAlien said:
Ebola came out of Africa.

It certainly did, but it couldn't have landed in Haiti, well at least not like it did in Reston Virginia.(thingslike potatoes, tobacco, VIRUSES, they don't travel right? That would be impossible!)

Keep shovelling...I guess if you tell yourself enough times even you will believe it.

Rocket Surgeon said:
And Columbus discovered America, an apple fell on Newton,The Great Train Robbery was the first feature film,Magellan circumnavigated the world,and Jesus was born on December 25.

You hold on tight to your dreams...

I love your phrase:

It certainly did, but it couldn't have landed in Haiti, well at least not like it did in Reston Virginia.(thingslike potatoes, tobacco, VIRUSES, they don't travel right? That would be impossible!)

Keep shovelling...I guess if you tell yourself enough times even you will believe it.

No one has ever suggested that Great Train Robbery was the first feature film... It's been EXTREMELY wrongly asserted to be the first film, but feature? ...never... but that's neither here nor there. And now you'll only harp at me because I "didn't understand your sarcasm." Of course now you cannot... I deprive you of your idiotic low-blow.

As to the subject at hand... the Reston incident was in chimps, was isolated and was in 1989, well into globalization at that point.

We're talking a something that would have had to come from Kenya in the 1870s to a remote island in the Caribbean. There is simply NO EVIDENCE AT ALL to support such a wild-eyed claim. It's like going to the Mayan ruins and screaming aliens-- it's a far-fetched, baseless claim and you're only holding on to it to support your stupid misstatement. Let it go-- Ebola has nothing to do with zombisim. Zombisim, as I've already stated, is more likely influenced by various herbs and toxins that induce coma-- this has been documented, your wild-eyed Great Ebola Migration of 1870... hasn't.

Now... if you'll pardon me, I've work in the morning. Sleep is much more interesting at this moment than your petty and idiotic straw-grabbing.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Influenced by 1920's The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?

Which was influenced by Edvard Munch's The Scream and German Expressionism in general.

And the undead dates back further to vampire myths out of China and Europe, primarily China with their Jumping Vampires (Chiang-shih) that predates the Dracula novel.

Point being-- reanimated corpse mythology is NOT at all related to Ebola. Specifically, Zombie mythology comes from Haiti and Vampire mythology from China.

...now to bed for me.

avidfilmbuff

Listen, I don't mean to come off as impertinent, but I began this topic to discuss the idea of a Hammer Indy film not the origins of supernatural myths.

avidfilmbuff

Stoo said:

No I have not read the Monkey King script, but I have downloaded it, I'll read it eventually. The whole haunted castle thing seems an interesting idea, but I really love the idea of placing Indy against a Christopher Lee type cult leader. Perhaps a character along the lines of Boris Karloff's character in the Black Cat.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I do love the idea of a Hammer feel to Indy V, as I quite enjoy those and also enjoy the monster B movies of the 50s (such as "Creature from the Black Lagoon", which would have been a good foil for KOTCS). In which case, if Eden was the MacGuffin you could do something decent for the snake....:rolleyes: Though I do remember reading somewhere about an idea Lucas and Spielberg had about Indy being eaten by a giant snake and escaping, which was eventually shelved and I wouldn't be surprised if this idea was to surface in an Indy V with Eden.

Also another monster B-movie influence could be the Harryhausen films of the 50s and 60s such as the Sinbad movies (I watched "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" recently and couldn't believe the ending's similarity to the ending of KOTCS with the pyramid and it's source of power). The Sinbad films are closer to the 30s serial genre than 50s scifi movies and could be more easier to swallow for the audience, of course, with hopefully A movie quality.