Indy 5

indyrcks

What do you want the film to be like I was a bit disappointed with Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull for some reason it just wasn't as good as the original films do you think they could make Indy 5 as good as Raiders, Temple or Crusade :whip:

Well maybe they're looking at the big picture, considering the legacy of Indy and since CS was most Like Last Crusade Redux, maybe they'll work their way backwards, make Indy V a dark cartoon like Temple was and end it right with an Indy VI that is more in line with the sensibilities of Raiders...

...as long as you're asking what we want.

DocWhiskey

If Indy 5 is just a little tiny teeny bit better than KOTCS I'll be a happy camper.

And I'm hoping this is the last one. And if it is, they have to top LC's ending of the trilogy.

DocWhiskey said:
If Indy 5 is just a little tiny teeny bit better than KOTCS I'll be a happy camper.

And I'm hoping this is the last one. And if it is, they have to top LC's ending of the trilogy.

Maybe they'll let Harrison have a death seen finally...he's been itching for one since Jedi! The way they handled the Indy toys, they can't use not being able to sell the "dead Indy" action figure as an excuse anymore!

Dayne

DocWhiskey said:

Agreed. Only I wouldn't mind a series focusing on the Adventures of Mutt Williams after the next one (in the vein of his father's adventures of course).

DocWhiskey

Rocket Surgeon said:
Maybe they'll let Harrison have a death seen finally...he's been itching for one since Jedi! The way they handled the Indy toys, they can't use not being able to sell the "dead Indy" action figure as an excuse anymore!

Haha. KOTCS's last scene is the wedding, Indy 5's last scene is the funeral. Circle of life I guess.

but seriously, I really don't want Indy to die in the series for 2 reasons:

1. It wouldn't be right. It would be like killing James Bond or Luke Skywalker.
2. I at least want to pretend the YIJC is canon.

Goonie

I wonder if it's time to open up an Indy V section on this board. They did yesterday over at COW. Someone out there must know something.:cool:

emtiem

A little darker could be fun: kids love a bit of gruesome stuff. It needs to have a bit more tension this time: there wasn't enough feeling of peril in the last one.
More jokes as well, though please: the two aren't mutually exclusive. It'd be nice if Spielberg could bring back some of the visual wit he had with the first three and was a little lacking in 4.

Real locations are a must as well, of course. I'm not upset by the use of special effects, though.

I don't want a death scene, though: Indy's not a real enough character for that. I mean he can change, probably more than someone like James Bond, and I quite liked the subtle changes in his character for KOTCS (his becoming a slight bore as shown in the quicksand bit, and the reversal of 'this is intolerable!') but I don't think the movie should be about him in that way: Indy movies are plot-based.

Darth Vile

Part of me wants a movie with more CGI, less location footage, more Mutt and more fridges, just to really p*ss off those naysayers. Only joking ;)

In all honesty, I think the only thing that could make Indy V as "good" as Raiders would be to get in a time machine, go back in time and make Indy V first... with the same production values/limitations... and with a 30 years younger Ford/Spielberg/Lucas. With all the best will in the world, Indy V will not be Raiders. Even on practical terms, that would be impossible.

However, that's not to say that there aren't some things I'd like on an Indy V wish list...

1) Some nice European locales e.g. London, Paris, Rome
2) Less of an ensemble piece (only because we’ve had that with both TLC and KOTCS)
3) A Hitchcock'esque type “wrongly accused man on the run” plot
4) More booby traps (well at least two)
5) Corrupt government officials
6. A less extravagant finale/dénouement. Something smaller, more personal

Last edited:

tocksic

Darth Vile said:
3) A Hitchcock'esque type “wrongly accused man on the run” plot

"You find that man! He had a mechanical ... arm!" (y)

No serious I fully sign your ideas. Especially 2 and 4.

matt black

There have been reports that a main character dies in Indy 5 ! Hope its not Indy himself. By the way, what does 'canon' mean?

The Drifter

matt black said:
There have been reports that a main character dies in Indy 5 ! Hope its not Indy himself. By the way, what does 'canon' mean?

Canon means what officially happened in the Indy time-line.

emtiem

Darth Vile said:
In all honesty, I think the only thing that could make Indy V as "good" as Raiders would be to get in a time machine, go back in time and make Indy V first... with the same production values/limitations... and with a 30 years younger Ford/Spielberg/Lucas. With all the best will in the world, Indy V will not be Raiders. Even on practical terms, that would be impossible.

Exactly; I'd never be expecting another Raiders. That was a movie pure in concept: no sequel with ever be like that; and of course if you were making a brand new movie about an adventuring archaelogist chances are you wouldn't cast a man in his late sixties as your lead!

Darth Vile said:
However, that's not to say that there aren't some things I'd like on an Indy V wish list...

1) Some nice European locales e.g. London, Paris, Rome
2) Less of an ensemble piece (only because we?ve had that with both TLC and KOTCS)
3) A Hitchcock'esque type ?wrongly accused man on the run? plot
4) More booby traps (well at least two)
5) Corrupt government officials
6. A less extravagant finale/dénouement. Something smaller, more personal

2, 4 and 5 don't matter too much to me, and I don't know about 6. I like a big finale! A European locale would be nice, although I did quite like the idea of New York as seen in City of the Gods for the second act location.

QBComics

Goonie said:
I wonder if it's time to open up an Indy V section on this board. They did yesterday over at COW. Someone out there must know something.:cool:

Sorry for not knowing, but what is COW?

I want a darker, more brutal film. And a scene that would really send the series off well.

Darth Vile

emtiem said:
Exactly; I'd never be expecting another Raiders. That was a movie pure in concept: no sequel with ever be like that; and of course if you were making a brand new movie about an adventuring archaelogist chances are you wouldn't cast a man in his late sixties as your lead!

Yep - As much as Ford's age wasn't/isn't an issue per se... there is no getting away from the fact that Indy can't be portrayed as in his prime. That doesn't mean that there aren't interesting stories you can tell about an older character, but it does mean that you lose some of that energetic drive in both the performance and portrayal... and that does reflect in the overall movie. Take a 40 year old Ford and drop him into KOTCS, and I think it would feel markedly different.

emtiem said:
2, 4 and 5 don't matter too much to me, and I don't know about 6. I like a big finale! A European locale would be nice, although I did quite like the idea of New York as seen in City of the Gods for the second act location.

1950's New York... Yep, I agree - I'd like that. As far as the finale is concerned, when I say "smaller, more personal"... I mean within context e.g. I don't need leviathan spaceships and entire cities collapsing (not that I have a problem with that), but something more akin to TOD's rope bridge set piece for "smaller" or TLC for "personal".