Die Hard

Pale Horse

Staff member
Swords got me all excited with all of the Die Hard quotes in the Death scene thread, that I thought it deserved it's own thread. It is obvious that I am not the only one here who enjoyed it. It redefined action for the next decade, and quite possibly the next generation. The outmatched everyman hero, while similar to leading characters of the past also redefined how audiences can relate to protagonists. We can't even comment about how setting was revolutionized and copied still to this day. The thinking man villian, another aspect that was perfected. Even the cheesy "arnold" one-liners were improved to be both comical as well as appropriate to each instance. In my opinion, Die Hard exceeds Raiders as the perfect action movie* because it never tried to be more than just a simple story. It is by far the best action movie ever.

* Raiders is a better OVERALL film because not only does it succeed at perfect action, but there is a successful love sub-plot, and more dramatic layers, and more complete story telling which make Raiders the best Adventure film... didn't mean to scare any of you.

swords

EDIT: The Die Hard series is one of my favorite action trilogies, I actually think it can go head to head with the Indy films.

Goes without saying that McClane is your favorite everyguy hero who's cursing and cussing adds to his appeal. Harray for Die Hard!

[Edited by swords on 06-21-2003 at 08:59 am]

DrJones56

IndyFan
I'll agree that Die Hard is one hell of a movie, I loved the first one, but Die Harder just plain sucked, but when McTiernan took the helm for Vengance, it was a major imrpovment. I love to pop in the Die Hard DVD and watch him jump off the building with nothing but a fire hose seperating him from life, and a greasey spot on the ground, pure classic. Next to Raiders and The Matrix, Die Hard is one of the most coppied movies in cenima history. With it's classic and original characters, genius villains, smart diolouge, taylored-for-every-man action, you can't help but have a classic action movie. And the best part, you can watch it every Christmas! Yep, Die Hard is my favorite Christmas movie next to It's a Wonderful Life. :D

Though I don't think it's better than Raiders. Raiders has a classic feel to it, while Die Hard was set in the present time of it's release, and Raiders was set around the world, which is what I love about it, one reason I love Bond movies, while Die Hard was in one 60 story building. While I love the sky-scrapper setting, it doesn't hold as big a candle to the globe trotting excitment of Raiders. Plus, John never wore a hat. :p

Anyway, I think both Raiders and Die Hard are great films, and I love them both and as always will continue to watch them.

Yippie-Ki-Yay Motherf... ::is shot dead by moderator:: :D

00Kevin

Indyfan
DH

great story

great plot

great charactors

AND SOME OF THE GREAGTEST LINES IN FILM HISTORY

"Yippie-Ki-Yay ************"

A hundred million terrorists in the world and I gotta kill one with feet smaller than my sister.

now I have a machine gun. HO HO HO :D

Supervisor: Attention, whoever you are. This channel is reserved for emergency calls only...
John McClane: No #$%$#@#% #%$@, lady! Do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza?

I wanted this to be professional. Efficient, adroit, cooperative, not a lot to ask. Alas, your Mr. Takagi did not see it that way, so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life.

[recalls his wife's invitation] Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs...

Take *this* under advisement, jerkweed!

Hans Gruber: This time John Wayne does not walk off into the sunset with Grace Kelly.
John McClane: That was Gary Cooper, @$$hole.

They're gonna need some more FBI guys, I guess.

Now I know what a TV dinner feels like.

Welcome to the party pal!

am going to count to three, there will not be a four. Give me the code.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[After McClane sets off massive explosion]
John McClane: Is the building on fire?
Sergeant Al Powell: No, but it's gonna need a paint job and a @$$% load of screen doors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John McClane: Merry Christmas, Argyle.
Argyle: Merry Christmas.
[Argyle shuts the limo door]
Argyle: Man, if this is their idea of Christmas, I *gotta* be here for New Year's.

still cowboy

great bloody lines :D

Kumba

McClane: "What was that?"
German guy: (in accent) "He said don't shoot" WHACK!!!

911 operator: "Attention, whoever you are this channel is reserved for emergencies only"
McClane: "No F-ing $hit lady! Do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza?!"

German terrorist: "Next time you have the chance to kill someone, don't hesitate!"
McClane: BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG!!! "Thanks for the advice"

00Kevin

Indyfan
Kumba said:
911 operator: "Attention, whoever you are this channel is reserved for emergencies only"
McClane: "No F-ing $hit lady! Do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza?!"

yeah....that's of my favs (for the record, she was a CV communicator operator person)

did you guys hear about DH4? it seems last year there was a nagotiation that 'tears of the sun' can use the title 'man of war'...in return willis has to do Die Hard 4

sounds great eh? Hope it's true ;)

swords

Die Hard 4

Thats great, It will be interesting to revisit his character.

DH2 quotes, excuse any misquotes of course:
"I used it on my pet dog, the poor thing limped for an week."

"Wheres your badge?"
"On its way to Cleavland?"

"Take those twinkies out of your mouth."

"Don't worry, I've done this before."

"Oh why couldn't I have an regular Christmas? an Turkey, christmas tree, Cranberry sauce, but no, I have to crawl through this *beeping* tin can."

"Hey *dummie*, what do I look like to you?"
"A sitting duck."

"Marvin, show me an way to those dry ducts and I'll give you an lining for that coat."

"Freedom."
*Crunch!*
"Not yet."
"You were supposed to stay in your seat and wait until you reach the terminal, but no, so no more frequent flyer miliages for you."
"Who are you?"
"Im a cop, you see, Im one of the good guys, and you're one of the bad guys. Now that I got your sorry arse Im going to trade it in for my wife."
Ping! bang!*gun fire*

"McClane, time for the main event!"
*McClane trapped between an near death from an blade, takes[!] an bite out of Colonel Steward's flesh,*

Then of course, "Yippee Kiyay Mother Comrade."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
From the Netflix series The Movies That Made Us:
"They were legally obligated to offer the part to Sinatra first," screenwriter Steven E. de Souza recalls in the Netflix documentary. At the time, Sinatra was in his early 70s and so fortunately for everybody involved in the project, declined. De Souza joked that, "otherwise the chases in the building would have been on Rascal scooters."
Even septuagenarians make septuagenarian jokes.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Great Docu, if anyone hasn't seen it. Currently at the stable, horsie is building a 1/60th scale replica of the Nakatomi Plaza. Should be ready this weekend for Dec 1st coming up.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Seasonal Bump. I actually can settle the "Christmas movie or Not" debate. All via film theory and storytelling.