the biggest problem with Indy 4...

Barryson Ford

how is it going to wow audiences in the actiondepartement ?

Its not what new artifact or villians they will come up with that i'm most curious about but its the action.

Come summer 2005 and audiences will have some of the most spectacular films of all time behind them like Lord of the Rings,Starwars prequels,the Matrix films,Jurassic Park franchise,the Mummy films etc

All these films feature amazing CGI action and some of the most spectacular actionscenes ever.
Now i'm sure Indy 4 will have a good story and all but how on earth is it going to have action that will wow the audience like the first 3 films did.
3 films that were together with Starwars the most spectacular films until the latter half of the 90s and the CGI revolution...

You see the Indy films are contrary to the films i mentioned above grounded in reality.
Sure there are some mild supernatural element but nothing fantasy like for instance The Mummy.
And because they are grounded in reality it puts a restraint
on potential actionscenes.
You cant come up with outrageous scenes/concepts because the formula simply forbids it.
Ford fighting a cool monster ? , not possible in the 'reality world' of Indiana Jones...

Then there is Ford himself , whose appearance (not talking about his fitness just his old appearance) puts a restraint on the physical action.
Some cool scenes on paper are gonna look ridiculous on film if you have such an oldlooking man doing them.
Think about the finale of Mission Impossible 2 and then imagine a 62 year old Ford instead of Cruise, you see ?
It will be laughable.

And finally there is the fact that basicly everything has been done before in the other Indy films.
Every sort of chase has been done motercycle,horse,car,boat,
train etc...

You know its not difficult coming up with a possible artifact or villian or whatever for Indy 4 but i find it sheer impossible to come up with a cool original actionscene that will wow audiences in a way that scenes in recent films have done .
Seriously try it...its downright impossible.

Barryson Ford

Attila the Professor said:
Frankly, if the script is excellent, but the action scenes are subpar, I don't really care.

Thats a bold statement seeing as the Indy films are actionfilms.
If the actionscenes are subpar the script cant be excellent.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Barryson Ford said:
Attila the Professor said:
Frankly, if the script is excellent, but the action scenes are subpar, I don't really care.

Thats a bold statement seeing as the Indy films are actionfilms.
If the actionscenes are subpar the script cant be excellent.

Doesn't seem that bold. A film isn't worth much if the script doesn't work, no matter how great the action.

Venture

The action is secondary to the characters and the script. It certainly wasn't the action that brought me to a message board. It was Indiana Jones!!! The action is a by-product of an extraordinary man who partakes of extraordinary events and thereby does extraordinary things. I agree with my esteemed colleague, the Professor, on this one.

monkey

I've got to agree with Barryson Ford to a degree here.

But not only do I think the action sequences may be compromised by both Harrison Ford's age AND Indiana Jones age (you've got to consider both here), I think that the whole 'aura' of Indiana Jones is compromised by the 1950's time setting.

For myself personally, the setting of the 1930's is so crucial to the whole Indiana Jones world that to put it in another time setting detracts from it.

bob

I have got to admit that the action has been getting worse as the Indy films have gone on, in Raiders it was great and wasnt overdone, in ToD most of the action was crammed into one 20 minute sequence, and in LC the action really didnt measure up particularly in Venice.

Action is going to be a big problem not just for the film but for credibility Indy has never been a one man army character, he has always been the underdog and the fact that he is 50 something will have to be taken into account if the movie is to be kept in the real world....

However i am really in Indy IV simply for the characters/plot and if the action is weaker then it doesnt really bother me....

raydelark

Trust the filmmakers

I believe they really know what they're doing with this one :) It's totally great to try to imagine what it's going to be like, but expectations are only good for so much. We didn't have any before Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, and it blew everyone away. We will never know what is going to be done with IV until it comes out, but my money is on it blowing us away :)

Venture

I agree. We can all theorize all we want, but it boils down to trusting the creators. (There's a sermon in that statement somewhere.) They've yet to disappoint, at least in my opinion. But the hypothesizing is meant to be fun, and as long as none of us are presumptuous enough to "dog" another's idea, let's have at it.

intergamer

It doesn't need the action. Its a throwback to 30s action shows. We still like the old Indy films, don't we? They still wow us today. If they came out in theaters now, we would love them. Indy doesn't need (and won't have) matrix-style stunts. We understand that it will not have them, and like it better that way.

intergamer

From my memory, plane chases haven't been done (although they were in one in ToD). And they would fit with the 50s: planes were starting to be big, like stunt planes and people using the old WWII planes for different reasons.

I always thought it would be kind of cool to have the infamous "map sequence" when Indy is travelling by plane to be put into the action. For example:

you see the dusty map, with a little plane figure going across it:
then we zoom in on it, and its indiana jones, which takes us into the action.

swords

intergamer said:
From my memory, plane chases haven't been done (although they were in one in ToD). And they would fit with the 50s: planes were starting to be big, like stunt planes and people using the old WWII planes for different reasons.

I always thought it would be kind of cool to have the infamous "map sequence" when Indy is travelling by plane to be put into the action. For example:

you see the dusty map, with a little plane figure going across it:
then we zoom in on it, and its indiana jones, which takes us into the action.

Sounds interesting...

Perhaps the next scene is the villian's flight directly behind it moving in for the kill, an fighter jet perhaps. And Indy, of course, on an public flight, with his fedora shielding his eyes, you know, his requisite nap, then he adruptly springs to his feet because the engines were shot(we'll just say Indy knows the feeling);). And its not an fighter, by the way, instead a plane piloted by an rookey to add to the suspense.

There, there is your cliffhanger...but it sounds like ToD, so it needs refining.

By the way, I don't think its the special effects that will be needed to give it an edge, instead Indy's resoucefulness(and not involving his brawn, instead his thinking inteligently and oddly enough I can't think of any on the spot, but there are times, such as the shovel in the mine chase[disagree of course, but Im just remembering all the brawls and gunplay).

I also think the fourth film will need gore, like the stuff found in Raiders and Temple...

And speaking of those concerned with the script, I share that sentiment like anyone.

Yet, action you see is Indiana Jones(and I know its the main attraction, since an good story will be the main driving force), but I think action will place an great emphasis on the film seeing how this is Indiana Jones and not an mystery caper(because thats what it would be without action, an mystery adventure in the vain of, *barf*, Amelia Peabody).

Excuse me while I go barf...

raydelark

...and so we conclude...

there is NO problem with Indy IV. And that's not a problem. It's great and I can't wait :)

Indy_(heheheh)

whaddya mean ford s too old to do cool stuff? have any of you seen league of extrodanary gentilemen?
connery kicked some ass and he's waaaaaaaaaay older than ford

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Not THAT much older, only 11 years! (Boy Henry, Sr. was doing something when he was young;))

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
That much is true, Ren. However, I might add that Frank has re-written the script twice (I think), since he said the first draft was done. All we need is approval from all of the Three.

Scaramanga

Barryson Ford said:
Come summer 2005 and audiences will have some of the most spectacular films of all time behind them like Lord of the Rings,Starwars prequels,the Matrix films,Jurassic Park franchise,the Mummy films etc

All these films feature amazing CGI action and some of the most spectacular actionscenes ever.

All those movies suck. You're an idiot Barryson Ford. and you're name is stupid. And you're a moron for comparing Indiana Jones to those crap movies.