No offense to LucasArts, but lets have another developer handle the next Indy Game!

Prime_Jones

I enjoy Emperor's Tomb to this day. I really do.

But Indy has enough potential it shouldn't sink so low to be developed by LucasArts. LA created RTX Red Rock, a game currently out, which has "C-R-A-P" written all over it. LA just isn't a Top Notch developer, like say Bungie is :D . Or say BioWare, or Rareware is. Now, with Indy's potential, if the game was done right, it would be remarkable!

Especially if Rareware created it! They created GoldenEye, and Perfect Dark. Games you should DEFINENTLY have heard of. The theres Bungie, who brought us Halo.'Nuff said.

Indy games could be the best First Person Shooter corporated out of a video game, if done right. It just needs someone beside's LucasArts.....

VP

Moderator Emeritus
LucasArts didn't create ET. It was the Collective.
LucasArts might be bad at times, but overall it's a great company. Especially on adventure games.
No other company could create an Indy game, because George Lucas has invented Indiana Jones, and LucasArts is Lucas's company (obviously). And GL isn't going to sell the rights.

BTW, why do you think that LucasArts sucks only because it has created one bad game? (And I'm not saying that all the other Lucas games are great.)

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
BTW, the manager of Lucas Arts just left, so things are probably gonna change little now.

Prime_Jones

LA, just creates mediocre games IMHO.

I know that no other Developer can create the next Indy game, unless Lucas hands the rights to the next game to someone, but the Indy games have soooo much potential.

spohlso

I wouldn't mind seeing Factor 5 take a shot at it. So far the best stuff I have seen from them have been the Rogue Squadron games. (The 2 for GameCube have been absolutely stunning! They have somehow managed to squeeze better graphics out of the GameCube than I have seen in any PS2 or X-Box game, even though those consoles are presumably superior in the graphics department.) They seem to be best at flight sim type stuff (the latest Rogue Squadron game has a lot of 'on foot' stuff, but the engine is seriously weak.) With a good platform or FPS engine they could do very well. They have shown a mind blowing amount of attention to detail. With the Star Wars games they have really found a way to make it feel like you're part of the Star Wars universe. If they could make an equally immersive Indy game it would be the greatest thing ever!

Prime_Jones

I would crap my pants if Rare developed it, but that wouldn't work, because Rare is an X-Box exclusive company as far as I know.

bob

I think that Lucasarts can make a great Indy game but they need to be a little bit brave and innovative things that whatever you thought of IM and ET were definately lacking...

Randy_Flagg

LucasArts already DID make a great Indy game-- it's called "Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis."
Let's face it, graphic adventures have always been LucasArts' strengths, going all the way back to Maniac Mansion. They excel at storytelling and humor, so they ought to make another Indy graphic adventure.

Finn

Staff member
True, Randy.

IM - a TR clone. Put Lara in instead of Indy and you wouldn't have noticed any difference. 'Cept the little improvement in eye candy.

ET - not bad, but what made the PC gamers very PO was the fact it had "console game" printed all over it.
<small>(I told you long before the game was out, ET may not be the thing in every Indygamer's dream... but did you listen to me? Think about it.)</small>

Adventurer

There's only one company besides LA i can think of which could create and handle an Indiana Jones game, and at the same time, re-establish the fortune and glory of days long gone. And that company is Revolution Software, the creators of the soon-to-be "Broken Sword" trilogy and Beneath a Steel Sky.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, the next Indy game needs to be a KOTOR-style game. Less action focused and more adventure focused. I would like to keep the fighting elements from ET, and merge it with several possible storylines and thus a desire to replay it several times.

Prime_Jones

Exactly, thats why I mentioned BioWare, the developers behind the masterpiece that is KOTOR. But, a wish is only a wish...

bob

Randy_Flagg said:
LucasArts already DID make a great Indy game-- it's called "Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis."
Let's face it, graphic adventures have always been LucasArts' strengths, going all the way back to Maniac Mansion. They excel at storytelling and humor, so they ought to make another Indy graphic adventure.

But the golden age of graphic adventures ended about 8 - 10 years ago, the old team is gone.
FoA is 11 years old
It has been 3 years since Lucasarts released an adventure game and 5 years since it released a truly great one (Grim Fandango)
The gaming world has simply moved on and i think that we need to let go as the age of adventure games has passed and really is not even the best genre for Indy as Indy is an action character first and foremost

Randy_Flagg

Adventurer said:
There's only one company besides LA i can think of which could create and handle an Indiana Jones game, and at the same time, re-establish the fortune and glory of days long gone. And that company is Revolution Software, the creators of the soon-to-be "Broken Sword" trilogy and Beneath a Steel Sky.

Very, very true. I'm keeping my finger crossed that the new Broken Sword game will be as good as the past two. It supposedly incorporates some action sequences, so it will be interesting to see if its engine would be a good match for an Indy game.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I would also like an RPG-like Indy game, a game like Morrowind, KOTOR or Pirates of the carribean (seadogs 2). Even though this type of game is not really action-adventure spirited like Indy games are supposed to be.

Adventurer

Originally posted by bob
But the golden age of graphic adventures ended about 8 - 10 years ago, the old team is gone.
FoA is 11 years old
It has been 3 years since Lucasarts released an adventure game and 5 years since it released a truly great one (Grim Fandango)
The gaming world has simply moved on and i think that we need to let go as the age of adventure games has passed and really is not even the best genre for Indy as Indy is an action character first and foremost

Yes, the old team is gone. They lost many very good people. But ended the age of adventure games really back then, or is this just a long break?

The adventure game is not dead. But it was talked to death, for sure. In the forums of Revolution Software was a post by one of the crew made last year which described the stubborn attitude of publishers. There, a customer asked why they will make the new BS3 in 3D instead of 2D and with a new user interface (keyboard instead of mouse). The answer was unbelievable. They said that there is not a single publisher on eath willing to sell a 2D adventure game, because it is not timely (or cool, i can't remember exactly) enough, and because it is in 2D. Yeah. Read that again. 2D. What a great justification. Nowadays it is enough to make a non 3D game to be considered antiquated.

Are they drunk?

The publisher said, there would be no market for that type of game. That is also valid for a 100% completed game, where they dont't even have to subsidise the game company. They only have to sell it in already established distribution channels. Exactly what happened to Pendulo Studios, the developers of "Runaway". The game was finished, but they didn't found a publisher for more than half a year or so. IIRC, a russian publisher took it and sold it nationally. It was a success.
From that moment on, other publishers woke up, because there was money to be made. And within a relatively short period of time, the game was sold internationally. Now, the studio is working on Runaway 2.

"as Indy is an action character first and foremost". That depends. What would you say the Indy films are: adventure or action movies? It's very subjective. I would say an adventure movie, beacuse it is about the story and the character. Action comes in third place for me. Maybe you're right and the adventure game is dead in it's original form. But i think it can be rising from the dead if there are a few more new impulses.

To Randy: There is a first impressions article on http://www.adventuregamers.com/display.php?id=307 . Sounds good so far. :)

[Edited by Adventurer on 11-08-2003 at 10:01 am]

Indy FPS?? naaah

an indy Fps (First person shooter) naah that just doenst sound like a good idea i mean yea id buy it cause it has DR.Jones's Name on it but still Fps shooters are highly over rated . what games need is to bring the greatest Genere of games back

The Adventure Game

Prime_Jones

I DEFINENTLY have to disagree with you! FPSs are not over rated. GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Halo, Half Life, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Socom, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six 3, Jedi Knight, Metroid Prime, and Time Splitters 2 are not "over rated". Check your video game history, because in the past years FPSs have been one of the most dominant, if not THE most dominant genre in gaming. Besides, that's just your opinion that FPSs are over rated.

Video wise, I think Indy is engineered to be nothing BUT a FPS. Indy has his gun, his whip would work very well in the FPS format, and with everything else, it would be phenomenal. Besides, the adventure game industry is dwindling. Gamers want something more, well, serious. Thats why Crash Bandicoot isn't outselling GTA: Vice City ;) .

[Edited by Prime_Jones on 11-09-2003 at 08:51 pm]

Not really

The adventure game's arnt doing that well is becasue of the short attietion span of americans today and i dissagree i think a FPS wouldnt be all that great yea they sell well but the market is too flooded with them too much of anything gets old fast.. just becsuase there is alot of something doesnt make it the best either.. i mean yea i enjoyd halo and some of those other games i like them too but that doesnt mean Fps are the best type out there.. althou i must say the last indy game in 3rd person was nice .. by the same makers of buffy game ... collective studios oh and by the way adventure games can be serious. and gta is another game that is enjoying its moment of fame now but in time that too shall fade like every other fad even thou i have all the gta games and enjoy them thats all they are is a gaming fad for now