Raiders of the lost cliches

bob

'allo

Nothing too heavy this time, i think it would just be fun to suggest what things we would like to see in Indy IV they can be major plot points or just small things that you would like to see...

Anyway heres mine

1. A boat chase in an exotic location like one of those south-east Asian cities with lots of tight gaps and obstacles. I think it would create a great sense of energy which is absolutely right for an Indy film.
2. Indy sword fighting, its the one great action cliche left for him to do
3. Truly exotic locations for the movie, LC was pretty stagnent in this respect but i think that for the final Indy film there should be truly extreme and exotic places for Indy to visit rather than yet another desert.
4. More reference to the mythology of the artifact, it just really adds so much more depth to the movie.
5. This is related to the exotic locations but i would like to see Indy kept out of the 'civilised' western world where possible.
6. A larger supporting cast, i would like to see lots more secondary characters helping Indy rather than the duo of Sallah and Henry.

Anyways on to your ideas :)

Venture

I'd like to see a sidekick and maybe a passing on of the mantle, so to speak. Near the end of LXG, Quatermain said to Tom Sawyer: "May this century be yours as the last one was mine." Not that Indy has to die or that there should be any continuation with said sidekick, but that's my kind of closure.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
1. Sword fighting...that sounds great, and never occured to me...too bad the castle setting is already out of the way
2. Hmm...seems I must be going...I'll say more later

Pale Horse

Staff member
How about an epic battle? It seems that sometimes in the chaos of thousands of people dying, the true heart of a man is revealed.

It would also by a nice backhanded tribute to "LofA". How to work this in the 50's, I am not too sure of, though.

Lightning

I have been thinking about his transportation. Being in the 50's he has to fly on a Constellation. I would like to see Indy's car too. (Have we ever seen the car Indy owns in the States? I know we have seen Marcus's.)

intergamer

Attila the Professor said:
1. Sword fighting...that sounds great, and never occured to me...too bad the castle setting is already out of the way

Heh, Attilla, it occured to GL and SS: remember the gun thing in RotLA where Indy pulled a gun on the sword fighting guy - and they even made an inside joke in ToD when the same scenario occured, but Indy went for a gun that was not in his holster.

To actually have sword fighting in IJ4 would hurt continuity - but they could easily play the "gun gag" once more.

ClearNinja2000

To actually have sword fighting in IJ4 would hurt continuity - but they could easily play the "gun gag" once more.

An amusing twist on that gag would be to have Indy, in a moment of extremity, grab up a sword and brandish it against a pack of bad guys. The bad guys all respond by pulling guns, and take an abashed Indy prisoner.

Reiterating cliches verbatim == bad sequel.

Randy_Flagg

A swordfight would be great, and it would need to be done in a very Errol Flynn, swashbuckling style. Let Indy swing on a chandelier in the middle of the fight if necessary. Yes, it's corny, but it would fit very well in an Indy movie and keeps with the tradition of reusing old cliches.

By the way, I don't think a swordfight would ruin continuity at all. In Raiders he didn't fight because he had a gun. Maybe this time he doesn't. In TOD he didn't fight because he was able to run. Maybe this time he won't be.

British_Lion_2003

I dont think a sword fight is sumfin that Indy would be able to do. Maybe he could defend himself for a bit but I see him as no expert at it.

00Kevin

Indyfan
bob said:
'allo

Nothing too heavy this time, i think it would just be fun to suggest what things we would like to see in Indy IV they can be major plot points or just small things that you would like to see...

Anyway heres mine

1. A boat chase in an exotic location like one of those south-east Asian cities with lots of tight gaps and obstacles. I think it would create a great sense of energy which is absolutely right for an Indy film.
3. Truly exotic locations for the movie, LC was pretty stagnent in this respect but i think that for the final Indy film there should be truly extreme and exotic places for Indy to visit rather than yet another desert.
4. More reference to the mythology of the artifact, it just really adds so much more depth to the movie.
5. This is related to the exotic locations but i would like to see Indy kept out of the 'civilised' western world where possible.
6. A larger supporting cast, i would like to see lots more secondary characters helping Indy rather than the duo of Sallah and Henry.

I nominate bob for co-writer on indy 4 ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
intergamer said:
Attila the Professor said:

Heh, Attilla, it occured to GL and SS: remember the gun thing in RotLA where Indy pulled a gun on the sword fighting guy - and they even made an inside joke in ToD when the same scenario occured, but Indy went for a gun that was not in his holster.

It wasn't a big swordfight though, and was never meant to be. I mean swashbuckler style - Flynn, Power, Rathbone - that kind of thing.

intergamer

All good points on the sword fighting. I like what ClearNinja said. And I see why a sword fight could work. But Brit Lion brings up a good point - why would Indy be a good swordfighter? So while a sword could come into play in a fight, I think it would have to be only one element. Also the idea of Indiana Jones is that it looks at old cliches in a different way: to me, the classic, tried and true, sword fight won't work with Indy. But a good twist on it might - possibly ending in Ninja's reversal of the gun > sword gag.

merancapeman

If Indy ever had a son, i'd fight my way through rows of security and have a "chat" with Lucas. Indy is fine the way he is. I'd love to see Indy seperate from his dad again, only on purpose. Henry living in an undisclosed location, Jr going off and teaching his classes. But something must go horribly wrong, and someone is after him...

bob

00Kevin said:
bob said:
'allo

Anyway heres mine

I nominate bob for co-writer on indy 4 ;)

:)

Webley

Indy is lockt in a room by the bad guys he has no gun, no bullwhip, no knife.He fishis around the room and eyes a bullit, pulls the bullit out of the brass caseing and pors the gun powder in the lock takes out his "Lucky Charm" and lites the powder. 3...2...1... BOOM door flys open and Indy gets out.

Webley

dyslexic

I am dyslexic. (Hi, I'm Webley's wife..I'm typing this for him...I often help him out with the big words, but I was at work tonight.P.S Is that how you spell dyslexic? Maybe I am too! Ok, Im embarassing him now. Yes, honey, get away from the keyboard, I know.)

bob

How about a car chase through jungle or swamp at high spead dodging obstacles, which would make a contrast with the desert based action sequences of Raiders and LC and the indoor action sequences of ToD