Stuck at "The Dragons Claw" in ET...

Clintwood

I've understood that I'm supposed to avoid the red-colored circles, but all of a sudden there is a cut-scene, and then there are no (safe) blue circles anymore? :confused:

- I've tried running jump - no success...
- I've tried running jump + whip-swing - no success...
- I've been looking for some ledge to jump to - can't find any...
- I've tried to jump back again - no success...

I don't know what more to try...can anyone assist me?

MP3

Once again, the great and mighty MP3 is here to save your butt, Clintwood! ;) Heh heh heh...

As you may or may not have discovered by now, the blue torch is the key to surviving this hellhole. It will illuminate things that are invisible to the naked eye (such as in the hallway where stepping on certain tiles will cause you to be struck by lightning, the torch will reveal the offending tiles). As such, the things revealed by the torch will not be visible beyond the torch's range - if the light from the torch cannot reach a certain tile, that tile will not glow at all (neither red, nor blue), until you get closer to it. Thus, you cannot see the next blue circle because it is too far behind you.

Here's what you do: watch the cutscene carefully, and note which tile flips. Turn around, and go back toward the tile that just flipped. As you approach it, it will begin glowing blue. Presto!

One final word: it seems as if you could do with an explanation in general of how ths puzzle works. Here goes: When you start out, all the tiles are red except for one. When you step on the only blue tile, it flips another tile from red to blue. And then when you step on that one, it flips yet another one, and so on. Now, here's the important part: although the order in which you will have to step n the tiles does not follow any logical pattern, what you are doing is flipping them one by one until the whole bridge is blue. Thus, WATCH THE CUTSCENES - they show you which tile flips so you know where to go next. Furthermore, stepping on a fresh "safe zone" does not kill the old one, and you CAN go back and forth on the tiles you already flipped as much as you want - it's just a matter of finding and stepping on the next "trigger" that will create another safe zone for you.

The object of the game here is to make the whole bridge blue, but watch out: there is hidden artifact available here, and if you like to collect those, this is what you do: when the (seemingly) last tile flips and you can get off the bridge, most people don't look back, and continue on to the next part of the level. The artifact seekers, on the other hand, must go back one last time and step on the last tile that flipped (this is not immediately obvious, since it's possible to continue without doing so). You will know that you have succeded when you see a cutscene showing a tile flip, and then a different shot of a piece of wall crumbling. Later in the level (when you get to the room where you used the gong mallet to strike the booby-trapped gong in the last level), you will find that crumbled section of wall, and there is an artifact n the alcove behind it.

Good luck, and let me know if you need anything else!
Moishe

MP3

One more thing about the cutscenes - note Indy's orientation (which way he is facing); sometimes, the cutscene is showing something behind him, other times it is showing somethng in front of him.

Clintwood

OK MP3, You're my savior (or whatever)!

I still don't understand...I've already tried to jump back, and then it didn't work? Whatever, noe it worked.

However, I'm still not through...will you be there to save me again?

MP3

Clintwood said:
OK MP3, You're my savior (or whatever)!

I wonder if by any chance my name is Thomas A. Anderson a.k.a. Neo, and you name is Choi... :D:D:D

(If you don't get it, watch The Matrix.)

Clintwood said:
However, I'm still not through...will you be there to save me again?

{{{BEGIN RUSSIAN ACCENT}}}Clear as Vodka, my friend!{{{END RUSSIAN ACCENT}}}

Gah... there I go again, quoting Vladimir from "Max Payne". ;)

Clintwood

OK MP3...it has been some years since I saw Matrix...I'n not really sure what you mean...

Anyway, have not been playing ET for some days, but just recently finished "The Tomb of the first Emperor". Piuw, that was heavy to pass. I can't recall that I have restarted a level that many times earlier.

Once I finally learned how to pass the pit with the spikes, I miss the double-whip (as always). Then there are those electrical balls, and to learn how they work there were many restarts. By know I think I'm a pro of getting out of the pit with the spikes!

I'll it wont get any more complecated in the next levels, otherwhise I gladly pay someone to program a save-function!

/"Haven't given up yet!" ;)

Clintwood

OK...Von Beck rules...???

OK, MP3, As you'ld guessed, I'm stuck again. This time, it's not a pussle or a trap. It's von Beck and his incredible machine...

I'll guess you expected me to be stuck on this level...and guess what, you were right!

I'll get the issue here (i think anyway). It's just to keep away from the infernal machine by running, jumping and whipping.

My main problem though, is that I have problem with getting Indy to run straight...(running PC version).

Is there any trick or hint how to solve this? Otherwhise, I'm afraid I have to give up. (don't worry, I will try a couple of more times first!

Looking forward to hear from you, MP3! :)

MP3

Ahhhhhhh... Von Beck's Revenge. The **** in the frosting of an otherwise perfect cake of a game, if you get the metaphor. ;)

Von Beck's Revenge has got to be the most miserable excuse for a level in the entire game. I must have gotten out at least a hundred times while playing it. :(

There isn't much I can tell you about how exactly to pass it, but I can give you some survival tips:

1) To keep Indy going straight (also a major problem that I had in the beginning), you must get used to steering him using the keyboard keys. If you try to use W to go forward and the mouse to steer, you will experience one of the more interesting bugs in the game: Indy will veer off course and crash into the nearest statue, followed by a free, complimentary flattening ceremony performed by Von Beck's Infernal Machine (whoops, wrong game). ;) Instead, you must get used to using W to run and A and D to steer.

2) As the level progresses, you will reach some pits where you have to cut your swing short, since the next pit is so close after the first one that if you follow through your first whip swing, you will swing right into the next pit. Instead, try to get used to letting go of the whip earlier than you normally would, so that Indy will land further back from the next pit.

3) Sometimes, when the sceario desribed in 2) occurs, you can try to give yourself a better chance of survival like this: as Indy is letting go of his whip, begin pressing spacebar as rapidly as you can, as if your life depends on it - because it does. If you do that, than Indy will jump the second he hits the ground; like this, even if you swing a bit too far and Indy lands with his toes over the edge of the next pit, you stand a better chance of making the second jump safely.

4) When you reach the end of the series of whip-swings (if you ever make it), don't stop to celebrate, or Von Beck will be there momentarily to crasht the party. Instead, when you reach the end (you will know when this happens when the camera switches from Von Beck's POV to the usual position right behind Indy), run like hell striaght ahead onto the ramp. As Indy slides toward the bottom of the ramp, there will be one last whip swing to safety. DON'T MSS IT, or you will be compelled (if you posess the normal human emotions called anger and frustration) to hurl your coffee mug into your monitor. After you make the swing you can turn around and cheer as Von Beck, whose digger is obviously not equipped with a whip, plunges to his death into the pit you just swung across. Congratulations! Now you can party all you like. ;)

5) Be careful as you navigate toward the end of the level - there are no bad guys, but there are a couple of small crevices that you don't want to fall into after finally beating that SOB. Walk carefully, watch your step, and you'll be fine. ;)

Cheers!
Moishe

P.S. The Matrix reference was when Neo (when we first meet him) gives Choi (the redhead whose girlfriend has the "white rabbit" tattoo) an MD in exchange for $2,000 and Choi says to him "Thaks man, you're my savior! My own personal JC!" You said I was your "savior", so I made the reference. ;)

Clintwood

OK, thanks for the tips!

...specially the one regarding steering Indy. The no of times I've tried so far, this has been a major problem. :mad:

I'll guess I must start with practicing to steer with the keyboard keys. After tha, lets see if I'm able to pass the level...

Thanks again! :)

War Eagle

Clintwood said:
I've understood that I'm supposed to avoid the red-colored circles, but all of a sudden there is a cut-scene, and then there are no (safe) blue circles anymore? :confused:

- I've tried running jump - no success...
- I've tried running jump + whip-swing - no success...
- I've been looking for some ledge to jump to - can't find any...
- I've tried to jump back again - no success...

I don't know what more to try...can anyone assist me?
Same here, I was just about to start a similar thread or ask it in another. Glad, I'm not the only one.

Gonna study MP3's explanation.

MP3

00Kevin said:
Welcome to the Raven, Where Paths Cross.....or at least, they use to

ROTFLMAO!!!! Just when you thought a certain line became a classic, someone comes along and revises it... ;)