films that have inspired you

hffan2000

film is a medium that has the power to move and inspire all of us. what are some that have inspired you?

my top 5 are:
The Passion of the Christ
Ben-Hur
Braveheart
The Last Samurai
Miracle

S

skywlkrinc

Mine would be the same as yours, but take out Miracle (haven't yet seen it) and replace that with Band of Brothers.

Luke

I

Indy_Jones88

havent seen Passion Yet but cant wait

1. Indiana Jones Series
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Band of Brothers
4. Black Hawk Down
5. Rudy

Luckylighter

Seven Samurai is a very important film to me. I can watch that over and over and catch something new everytime. Kurosawa was a genius and an artist. Film was his canvas, and his imagery were his brushstrokes. I love that film. I could be stranded on a desert island with just a copy of Seven Samurai, and equipment to view it.

Jaws always meant a lot to me too, from a storytelling aspect. That is how a master tells a story.

Close Encounters...I could spend a whole thread on that movie alone...how it is a metaphor for man's relationship with God: The presence of beings from up above inspires people to create something (images of Devil's Tower), and their creations lead them back to the source of their inspiration. That is the nature of art, creation, and how we interact with God, spelled out right there for us, and in such a beautiful way.

Tennessee R

Indiana Jones,
James Bond,
and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies.

They inspire me to go out and make adventures.

Katarn07

Hrm....

The Passion of the Christ is the only really moving movie experience I've had that brought me to actually having my eyes tear.

Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers are excellent and shows us what WWII really was and because of them I now have a greater appreciation for the military and veterans as a whole along with history in general.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Well? there's a number of movies that made a lasting impression?.
But the Star Wars trilogy (the original one) and the 3 Indy movies are way on top of my list. :)

Life is Beautiful definitely moves me, and so does It's a Wonderful Life. Both of them inspire me to live in the moment and realize that there's always a silver lining to every cloud in our lives.

Katarn07

Life is Beautiful is a foreign film with the Italian Jew? Yes, very good movie; a little hokey at times but still very touching.

Well, I guess SW and Indy are 'moving' in the fact I have one massive action figure collection for both. I have 9 years worth of SW toys ('95 - present, still collecting them) and all the Indy toys (Hasbro's RotLA, LJN'S ToD, and Disney).

I also can and do quote them quite often.... sometimes unknowlingly.

Strider

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Dr. No
3. Casablanka
4. X2
5. The Godfather
6. The Two Towers
7. Godzilla (The Japanese version not the cunkleheaded american rip off)
8. Star Wars
9. Jurassic Park
And the list goes on...
The truth is, I've seen and loved to many films to make an accurate list.

Pale Horse

Staff member
hffan2000 said:
film is a medium that has the power to move and inspire all of us. what are some that have inspired you?

my top 5 are:
The Passion of the Christ
Ben-Hur
Braveheart
The Last Samurai
Miracle

In all seriousness, "Inspiried me to what?"

Luckylighter said:
Seven Samurai is a very important film to me. I can watch that over and over and catch something new everytime. Kurosawa was a genius and an artist. Film was his canvas, and his imagery were his brushstrokes. I love that film. I could be stranded on a desert island with just a copy of Seven Samurai, and equipment to view it.

Jaws always meant a lot to me too, from a storytelling aspect. That is how a master tells a story.

Close Encounters...I could spend a whole thread on that movie alone...how it is a metaphor for man's relationship with God: The presence of beings from up above inspires people to create something (images of Devil's Tower), and their creations lead them back to the source of their inspiration. That is the nature of art, creation, and how we interact with God, spelled out right there for us, and in such a beautiful way.

I think I am goin' to like this guy...

Joe Brody

Luckylighter said:
. . . . Close Encounters...I could spend a whole thread on that movie alone...

What's stopping you from kicking off that thread? I think we got some folks here that are chomping at the bit for a good discussion -- I know I am.

westford

Indy got me into archaeology and WWII history. (And Harrison Ford ;) )

American Beauty showed me that the world is full of beautiful things, if you just look for them.

Donnie Darko gave me hope.

grumpus

Well the Indy moveis and the Star Wars movies. I dont know how much they have "inspired" me. But they have done a lot for me. I think i can safely say that i have more Star Wars books in then anyone i know

grumpus

hmmm I counted just the other day, i have at least 20 but im pretty sure i havent found them all. And 12 or 13 about it. You know, The Essential Guide to Characters and other ones about ships. Really i have no life and spend all my time reading Star Wars and look at Indy stuff. My pals thinks im dumb, but i cant stop it.

grumpus

I acutally dont really feel like its the same thing. i mean maybe theres some similatries between them. If you really want something different, try The Bounty Hunter Wars, you get to follow and learn a lot more about Boba Fett and why he is the best. But this did come out before the prequels, so if you are just now going to read them, you already have an idea why he is so good.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
12 Angry Men - viewpoint is the most important thing in attempts to find the truth

1776 - what seems, in hindsight, as if it were destiny for some untouchable demigods could really have been incredibly difficult for ordinary men to achieve

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Against incredible odds, right, justice, and innocence can prevail

Harvey - it's the sane who are really crazy

That's four...I'll leave the fifth spot open.