Does Young Indy belong in Indy's timeline?

Indyologist

I don't know if this goes in the YIJC forum, but here goes:

Everyone has their own opinions on what they think of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles series. When you think of Indy's life, do YOU count the YIJC in Indy's lifeline, or do you think the series was so farfetched and/or disinteresting that you discount it altogether and have your own theories about how Indy's childhood was?

LaoChe

I definately feel that Young Indy served time in the military. So I'd have to say, yes.

However, Ideally, I would've much rather explored how he came to be a rogue - selling old relics on the black market for pocket cash.

Seems the YIJC forgot that's who Indy was, originally...

Yes, I consider YIJC part of the Indy canon. Especially considering the Mystery of the Blues movie, with the HF bookends.

Another thing that is interesting is how much of Indy's background it shows. The way he worked through college and stuff was really interesting and plausible. Also, LC had more depth to me after I saw the SPF episode with Henry Sr. in it. Those sorts of things help the Indy timeline, in my opinion.

Finn

Staff member
<small>P'haps this one on young Indy table? P'haps?

And Indyologist... you just can't quit using me as an inspiration, can you?</small> :p

Anyway, as I stated in some other thread earlier, to me... part of YIJC belongs on that Indy timeline I've formed in my head... part of it does not.

Indyologist

And Indyologist... you just can't quit using me as an inspiration, can you?</small> :p

What? You mean you don't know about the Finn altar I have in my closet at home? I call you the Finn-tastic One! LOL!

Indyologist

[QUOTEAnd Indyologist... you just can't quit using me as an inspiration, can you?</small> :p

[/B][/QUOTE]

BTW, I've been TRYING to get out of your head, Finn, but it's awful dark in here. Could you light a Zippo by your ear?

Finn

Staff member
Sorry, hon... but the route is so full of twists and turns into that point you're standing that the light of guidance will never reach that far. ;)

Junior Jones

I also agree that Young Indy fits into the Indiana Jones timeline. There are so many things from the show that lead right into the movies.

LaoChe said:
Ideally, I would've much rather explored how he came to be a rogue...

Seems the YIJC forgot that's who Indy was, originally...

Of course Young Indy isn't Indy YET, but over the course of the show you can see him developing into Indy. And if the series had continued, there were plans to introduce Abner and Belloq which would have more closely tied the series and the trilogy together.

Finn

Staff member
<small>
Indyologist said:
What? You mean you don't know about the Finn altar I have in my closet at home? I call you the Finn-tastic One! LOL!
Wow. First Horsie and now you. I'm starting to think I'm slightly liked here.</small>

monkey

Well, you can call me strange, or what ever, but to me there is no Indy timeline.

For me the timeline starts and finishes at the start and finish of every movie or story.

With limited exceptions I don't know what he did before, or even yesterday.

It's only important what he's doing right now, and what he must do.

It's easier that way.

I don't give a Rat's *** that he met Charles DeGaulle 20 years ago, ...I care that there's a huge boulder rolling down a chute that's about to crush him to death.

Webley

Well I say if its got the lucas name on it it must be Indy.

Strider

Ben Friend of Indy said:
Yes, I consider YIJC part of the Indy canon. Especially considering the Mystery of the Blues movie, with the HF bookends.

Another thing that is interesting is how much of Indy's background it shows. The way he worked through college and stuff was really interesting and plausible. Also, LC had more depth to me after I saw the SPF episode with Henry Sr. in it. Those sorts of things help the Indy timeline, in my opinion.

They put Henry Sr. in one? Did he look enough like Sean Connery? Did he have the right accent?
I don't count any of them as part of the series. I like Indy's past to remain more of a mystery.

Raffey

Yeah, I have to agree.

I have a tendency to discount anything outside the three Indy films the same way I discount the Star Wars Christmas Special as part of that other popular Lucas series.

Junior Jones

Strider said:
They put Henry Sr. in one? Did he look enough like Sean Connery? Did he have the right accent?

Indy's father was in about a dozen episodes. And Lloyd Owen, who played him, does a great Sean Connery impression, IMO.

The relationship between father and son was great to see in the series. It devolved as Indy grew older, especially after his mother died, and I think it was well written and portrayed.

QueZTone

The young indy series is definitly part of it IMO. Like Webley said, if it has the lucas name, then its Indy for sure. But I really count most of the novels (if not all) to the timeline too. Why? More is good! :D The more adventures he has been in, the bigger the hero he is. :)

Even the games are official timelines for me :) The ones I've played. (havent played Lost Kingdom and those old ones though)

Oh and monkey, if you look at each one seperatly...well..some characters apart from Indy himself do feature in more than one adventure. So it makes it more fun if you recognise it as one big story instead of seperate stuff. You put more value in his friends that way imo.

monkey

Good point Quez, about building upon supporting characters, and carrying forth that information into the next story or the next.

Like in the old Doc Savage Adventures, you knew the habits, mannerisms, etc. of all of his team members. That was cool.

What I don't like is wallowing in the Indiana Jones Canon. I don't like it when it limits the character. Too much detail about his past makes him less interesting, not more, for the simple reason that you are less curious.

And pinpointing exactly where he was, and when, can limit the opportunities for storylines.

bob

For me YIJ can either stay or go, I don't particularly care for it personally and I suspect that future generations of Indy-fans will throw it away.

To be honest it conflicts with my whole view of Indy's appeal (that air of mystery) and also does seem to contradict my view of Indy as a character. YIJ presents him as far too much of an aristocrat for my tastes galavanting around Europe etc, does this really look like the same upbringing that the YIJ section in LC hinted at in which he lives in a normal house in an obscure corner of Utah. 1
As for Indy fighting in WWI I just can't see him really as part of that generation, I cannot accept that he spent 3 years in the trenches - that sort of experience changes a man and I just don't think it makes sense in regards to Indy.
I could accept him as having joined up against his fathers wishes when America entered the war in 1917 and perhaps serving for a short time but not for 3 years! Besides something like serving in the French Foreign Legion for a time seems a little more apt for a character like Indy.