What to start with?

If I didn't have the biggest budget (read: I'm a low income freshman), what piece of Indy gear would you recommend me start off with? I can check Indy Gear for info on pricing and stuff, but what item should I get first?

I

Indy's_main_man

I started with the jacket. 300 dollar disney collectable instead of a real one...but this jacket is nice so I went with it.

Then I moved onto Fedora. Then whip and finally right now i'm working on the bag.

I

Indy's_main_man

I'll be able to vouch for that as soon as I get mine.

But the jacket is something you can wear alot also. SO i'm gonna say go for either first depending on which you think you'd wear more.

IndyMcFly

Respond to Disney stuff like drugs, "Just say no." Forget about that jacket, (sorry IMM) and wait until you can get a jacket that you can brag was made by the same jacket that made the jackets for the films, a Wested... besides, they're cheaper than the Disney jackets, until you pay for shipping and import tax if you're not in the UK.

In Christ,
Shane

QueZTone

heh all these threads about indy gear make me want to buy a Wested or Akubra again...

but then again i need a new pc too! damn...need to win the lottery!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
If you're a teenager, you should get the bag first. Then the whip or holster and guns. You can't outgrow them.

Your profile says you're 14. Then you'll probably grow bigger, so you shouldn't get a leather jacket. You could get a cotton Wested.

chipuk

my first piece of gear was a wested,
I dont have the problem of getting taller, just expanding sideways( which I keep under check)

I thought it was something that I would use all the time ( and do)

IMHO if you are looking for something that looks really indyesque
then I think it is either the jacket of the fed.
Being on a tighter budget then as ren said the Akubra federation
can be picked up at a great price and will last a long time. If you outgrow it then being that you have taken good care of it(!) you will be able to pass it on to someone new.

However if you are looking to spend a little less, then the bag may be a little more up your street to keep you going while you save.

It depends what use you want from it. For example if item A costs
£100 and item b is £200, but you will use item b more then go for that.

I dont use the whip I have that often so it was lower down my list of wants.

I

Indy's_main_man

Is there anywhere I can get a bag besides the places on indygear?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
What kind of bag do you want? If you want an Indy bag that's going to last, get a What Price Glory repro bag. There are several sources that sell the original MkVII's, but they are running out.

Last edited:
I

Indy's_main_man

I found one on ebay but Wanted to make sure I was getting the best deal. 40 dollars seems alot for a bag...I'm not sure what's so ggreat about it.

So if I got the Federation and I modified it like they show at Indygear, I could still send it in if my head grew some more and not have to pay anything (maybe shipping)? I may go with that. At fifty bucks it does look like a steal, given the other prices for hats. And while we're on the subject of hats, would you recommend getting a Herbert Johnson once I have the spare cash, or just stick to the Federation?

Besides the bag and hat I would probably just get a whip, guns, and belt with holster(s) and whip holder. I think the things that would get the most use out of them would be the hat and bag, so I'd probably start with them first. I'm definitely going to wait on the jacket, shirt, and pants until I'm sure I'm done growing (I'm on the large side, not as in fat, but just flat out built large, so how big I'm going to grow is a bit unpredictable), same with the shoes if I want to get the Aldens, but as Ren said, any boots should do for now.

Finn

Staff member
Get the scar. I'm sure you know someone who agrees to let you have it for free. :D

I

Indy's_main_man

Theres always the traditional ford method. become a struggling actor/carpenter and get in a car accident. then, with exact precision hit your chin on the steering wheel. Even if you're loaded pretend you can only afford a cheap stitch job...and there you go.

Anyway, the delux akubra seems nice but my parents are iffy on the "over 100 dollars for a hat and a bag?!" thing. And Since I don't have a credit card to order off the net I have to give them my money (i don't have it all yet).

IndyMcFly

Indy's_main_man said:
Anyway, the deluxe akubra seems nice but my parents are iffy on the "over 100 dollars for a hat and a bag?!" thing. And Since I don't have a credit card to order off the net I have to give them my money (i don't have it all yet).

Then get a regular federation! The only difference is the quality of the felt and the color, I've heard it's still a great hat, and that's that one I'm getting - you know you get to shape these yourself, right? The pictures on the HatsDirect site don't mean that that's how they come... I'll post photos of the Federation I get after I bash it and everything.

In Christ,
Shane

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Ben Friend of Indy said:
And while we're on the subject of hats, would you recommend getting a Herbert Johnson once I have the spare cash, or just stick to the Federation?

HJ's aren't that good anymore. The ones from Lichtswerte.de are pretty good, but they don't have the famous liner anymore.
BTW, the info on the IndyGear main site is dated. They are currently updating it.

Here's my Akubra Federation Regular:

akubra1.jpg

akubra2.jpg

akubra3.jpg

akubra4.jpg

akubra5.jpg

akubra6.jpg

akubra7.jpg

akubra8.jpg

akubra9.jpg

akubra_machete1.jpg

Modified ribbon: