Gladiator

Johan

I just realized watching the Gladiator movie that he gave the Thumbs down to signify that the Gladiator was to die..>This is actually historically incorrect. The thumb signified the sword, the thumb up meant "sword up on your shoulder...let him live", the opposite was actually a thumb to the breast signifying sword to the heart...or kill

Finn

Staff member
IndyJohan said:
I just realized watching the Gladiator movie that he gave the Thumbs down to signify that the Gladiator was to die..>This is actually historically incorrect. The thumb signified the sword, the thumb up meant "sword up on your shoulder...let him live", the opposite was actually a thumb to the breast signifying sword to the heart...or kill
Your sources... they are incorrect. It was thumb up (pollice orto) or thumb down (pollice verto), being a command to the winning gladiator to "let him live" or "finish him off". There are no notes about the Emperor pointing towards his heart. Of course, some modern scholars (and possibly some notes made after the fall of the Romans) claim that way, but is simply because they arrogantly think that Romans weren't "intelligent" enough to think in simple gestures and everything allegoried with something. Silly thoughts, if you ask me. After all, these guys were running a darn empire there, one of the kind not seen since in the Western world.

One actual mistake though was that the Romans had schaefers as their war dogs... a breed that didn't even exist back then.

I

Indy's_main_man

I just thought i'd contribute something...did you know the gladiators were all vegetarians? hey didn't want pure muscle and wanted to be lean so they ate mostly barley. In fact the romans called then something roughly translated to munchers of Barley.

johnfrancis

I love the moment in the Collosium when Crowe reveals who he really is.

After that the game gets real. I always look forward to that.

It's when the fun really begins...