Diamond From ToD's Opening Scenes

Gobi-1

Does anybody else think the diamond that Indy trades the urn for is actually the Treasure of the Peacock's Eye from the Young Indiana Jones tv movie of the same name?

I like to think it is.

Indyologist

I personally can't see Indy hanging onto something like a diamond that long. I mean, where would he put something like that? The flour canister? His sock or underwear drawer? Nah. He'd probably keep it in a safe deposit box in the bank-- I think. Still, he would either have it put in a museum or would have sold it a long time ago.

Andy Jones

It would be good if it was. The diamonds are very similar, but it could just be a coincidence.

Maybe Lucas will say on the Young Indy dvd's.

Katarn07

Indyologist said:
I personally can't see Indy hanging onto something like a diamond that long. I mean, where would he put something like that? The flour canister? His sock or underwear drawer? Nah. He'd probably keep it in a safe deposit box in the bank-- I think. Still, he would either have it put in a museum or would have sold it a long time ago.

Indy doesn't get the diamond at the end of Peacock's Eye nor does he trade the diamond to Lao Che. He's giving away the remains of that dude in the urn for the diamond which he may have lost all those years ago. In a way, it was sorta like the Cross of Coronado to him.

I have only seen Peacock's Eye once so don't have an opinion on the matter. The way GL drags characters from the old SW films and puts them in his new ones just for the sake of doing it (Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, Mon Mothma, Tarkin, Chewbacca, etc), I wouldn't be surprised if the diamonds are supposed to be the same.

Finn

Staff member
The diamond in the beginning of ToD goes pretty unexplained. Why does Indy want it so bad? The movie never answers that question (but perhaps we're left to assume it's some famous historical [but fictious] gemstone that really should be among the British crown jewels or something).

Possibly, Peacock's Eye was made to explain why Indy is after the diamond in ToD.

Indyologist

Katarn07 said:
Indy doesn't get the diamond at the end of Peacock's Eye nor does he trade the diamond to Lao Che. He's giving away the remains of that dude in the urn for the diamond which he may have lost all those years ago. In a way, it was sorta like the Cross of Coronado to him.

I have only seen Peacock's Eye once so don't have an opinion on the matter. The way GL drags characters from the old SW films and puts them in his new ones just for the sake of doing it (Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, Mon Mothma, Tarkin, Chewbacca, etc), I wouldn't be surprised if the diamonds are supposed to be the same.

Yes, that's right! :eek: I forgot-- how silly of me. Some waiter who worked at Club Obi Wan probably was cleaning up all the water from the melted ice, found the diamond and now s/he's living in style somewhere.

Raffey

It is kinda strange that Indy is going through all that trouble to get a diamond.

Diamonds are added to--but rarely are by themselves--significant artifacts.

Maybe Indy just couldn't pass up the fortune even if there was no glory?

Finn

Staff member
That was odd, true. Unless it really was Peacock's Eye and Indy didn't want to miss his second chance to get it.

It also goes unexplained what Lao Che wants to do with the ashes of Nurhachi. Gain more influence, blackmail the culture attachés or something?

whipem

Which brings up another question: were those really the ashes of Nurhachi, or did he have the real urn kept somewhere safe? I just find it hard to imagine that Indy would give something like that away (even for a diamond), unless he planned to steal it back. Oh, the confusion!

Johan

I smell another book title coming for those fan fiction writers....Give us an Explanation!!

Junior Jones

IndyBlues said:
Maybe he was after the diamnond, so he could use that in another switch for something else.

A very logical explanation, especially for those who have played Desktop Adventures.

I personally like to think that the diamond in Temple of Doom is the Peacock's Eye.