For Men Only : )

Rick5150

With over 1600 members, I only got 3 hits when searching for "Three Stooges" and they were all references to their antics rather than the actual comedy team. What's up with that!?

Okay, I know a few of the ladies will sneak in here to see what the topic is about and then once they realize what it is, they will make the same disgusted face that one would make if they plunged their arm into a bucket of warm vomit, and quickly leave. That's okay.

I recently found that there are new releases of the old shorts IN COLOR. What the hell are they thinking?! If it ain't broken, do not fix it! Anyways, I was curious as to whether there are any fans of the classic team of Moe, Larry & Curly (okay, and Shemp, but that is all) on this board. Personally, I find the world of the Stooges allows me to escape into their world and leave all my troubles behind for a while.

Yeah, they are silly. They poke each other in the eyes, say ridiculous things and get into some wild situations. They fall from high places and don't get hurt, get hit in the head with pipes, and beat each other senseless. But, I can say that they never fail to make me laugh my ass off, even if I have seen the episode 50 times. I find it is a good release for stress and laughter is the best medicine, after all. My favorite episode at this time? "Disorder In The Court," followed closely by "Microphonies" (Voices of Spring, anybody?)

To those of you that are too "mature" for the Stooges:

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Unfortunately Sam only looks back to his re-creation, 6/7/2004. There are probably more references further back, but my digging is only for profit, now...

Deadlock

As a current partner at Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe, I think it is my duty to say that I am enchanted, enraptured, and embalmed by your thread Rick. :D

The Stooges are a huge childhood memory for me (that and Looney Tunes). They're classic. I love the little references to them that just show up in random places (like Lethal Weapon).

Rick5150

I love the little references to them that just show up in random places (like Lethal Weapon).
Ever see the outtakes for Charlie's Angels? Drew Barrymore does a rather odd imitation of the Stooges, but funny nonetheless... "Army of Darkness" too.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Speaking of Army of Darkness, did you see that Sami Raimi (of Spiderman fame) who owns the rights to Sam Ash, and his dead series is considering a three-way movie sequel with Ash, Freddy and Jason all on the same screen?

Rick5150

Yeah, check this out:
Bruce Campbell, who played Ash in the Evil Dead horror films, told SCI FI Wire that there is "some validity" to the rampant rumors about the possibility of a movie that would pit his character against Freddy of A Nightmare on Elm Street and Jason from the Friday the 13th franchise. But Campbell added that nothing is imminent. "As I've been explaining to people, this wouldn't be a movie where you could just make a phone call and go, 'Let's do it,' and then it all happens," Campbell said in an interview. "You've got three franchises."

Campbell added, "[That] means you have 17 lawyers, each going, 'Yeah, look at my franchise. Yeah, look at my franchise.' So you have to get past that. Then you have to get past the question of 'how will the characters be treated?' What would you do with Ash? There's no way I'd be in it if I lost. No way. The good guy has to win, especially in that movie. You couldn't kill two whole franchises, but we could sure maim them."

Hey Moe!

Indy Benson

I'm completely against the coloring of the Stooges (and all b+w movies).
My main gripe over the 3 Stooges tapes/dvds is the price. For something so old, they sure are trying to swindle you out of some serious coinage.

Ash/Freddy/Jason: I hope and pray that this won't happen. What's next? Indy vs Jaws vs Robin Hood?

I. Fleecem
Lawyer

Deadlock

Indy Benson said:
Ash/Freddy/Jason: I hope and pray that this won't happen. What's next? Indy vs Jaws vs Robin Hood?

Good guess, but no. I hear it's a Spielberg grudge match... Indy vs Jaws vs E.T. :D

Tennessee R

It's actually 'disorder in the court' not dishonor. But anyway, yes, I do like the three stooges. The DVD's of them are so expensive, though.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Never been a fan...I much prefer Abbott & Costello, or, for folks more in the same vein, Laurel & Hardy - I grew up on those guys.

As for colorization...awful, awful, business.

Johan

its not always that bad. I use to love watching the Andy Griffith Show, and Roy Rogers (and no I'm not old) watching these as a kid I always appreciated when they had colour (canadian spelling for color) over the black and white

Attila the Professor

Staff member
With all due respect, it's an unprincipled whitewashing of an original work, akin to the chopping off of the sides in the pan & scan process. After all, the Skipper's hat isn't yellow... ;)

Johan

I appreciate black and white now, but when I was a kid I would have NEVER gotten into those classic shows (with good morale mind you) if they were not in colour.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Why is that Attila? At a germinal level, there really isn't any other way to see it.

Interpretation adds all of the color to every decision.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Renderking Fisk said:
I think Jones could take the Turtle head. And we've seen Jones take dangerous creatures before... haven't we?

He'd just strap his belt to the dorsal fin, and ride it till it tires out, of course, it would be edited out of the movie, so only us die hard fanboys would know.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Oh Happy Day,

That was bad Ren. But I guess if the formula puts those to characters together, then yes, they will have jumped the shark.