Americans, what attracts you so much about the UK?

Canyon

As some of you know, I recently visted Scotland and it got me thinking.

Many times, I hear of Americans who really want to visit the UK, and so I thought I would post a thread.

I guess the most obvious one would be Stonehenge in Wiltshire, England, but I would very much interested in hearing your views on what other places you would like to visit. ;)

So, too all of you lovely Americans out there, is there anywhere in the UK that you would love to visit.

Finn

Staff member
<small>Canyon... what if we put this in the OT for now? Does it sound like a plan to you?

(Yes Ren, I'd moved this even if you hadn't posted. This is not an attempt to PO you even more.)</small>

IndyBlues

Hmm, good question. Let's see:

The Thames, Big Ben, Piccadilly Circus(sp), Scotland Yard(as a tourist, not a convict),Stonehenge, The Blarney Stone, Canyons flat, The Highlands of Scotland, Liverpool(just because of the Beatles), and I'd love to see a Soccer( er, Football) game in England.

Can't think of anything else offhand.
'Blues

Johan

Well I may not be American, but I AM Canadian. For me its the history and the amazing architecture. We have very little of the craftsmanship of buildings and churches that you guys have. Besides the fact that all my hero's (or scholars) went to Oxford; people like John Wesley, George Whitfield, and Lord Byron. The things that these people have inspired into my life came from what they learned at Oxford and thier homeland.

Element

I would like to visit London, I heard it is very nice there.

I would also like to visit Scotland because of its beautiful scenery and its historical background.

Redwall

I hear the British have an average IQ over 100. Could be just rumors, but even a small chance to experience that would be worth it.

monkey

When I was younger I was fascinated with the world of Sherlock Holmes. I'd like to see all of those places where he had all of his adventures.

I would love to go see the 'moor' country where 'Hound of the Baskervilles' took place.

I would love to visit the remote regions in the southwest of England, as well as the Northern part (isn't that Cornwall?)

And of course, the highlight of my trip would be a visit to Bristol to see a lovely lady named Canyon.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I love history, so that is why I would go. I would also like to see my family roots...we were royals at one time, but various wars changed all that.

I

Indy's_main_man

sometimes it just a new place...American tourists view Hawaii as a paradise but i'm sure some locals think it's too hot and boring and hate all the flowers and sunburn.

Indyologist

Personally, Canyon, I'd like to see the historical sites like your castles, the Tower of London, etc. I'd have a blast just walking down the street and hearing the cool English accents!

I think England is unique because it's one of the only countries in the world that is actually under a monarchy. It conjures up romantic images of princes and princesses, beautiful gowns and tiaras, gilded coaches, etc. For ME it does, anyway. Dag, I bet Her Majesty the Queen taxes you guys to death, though.

Canyon

Indyologist said:
Personally, Canyon, I'd like to see the historical sites like your castles, the Tower of London, etc. I'd have a blast just walking down the street and hearing the cool English accents!

You like our accents? That's great!

IndyMcFly

Well, it's someplace different, it's not just another state - it's another country, it's on the other side of the world, it's a monarchy (another "just something different to experience" thing), AND... you guys speak the same language as us (or at least relatively close, lol). But yeah, the accents are fun, too. And, also being from California, I'd say - it snows there, too! Woohoo!

(Of course I'm talking about something like England... I've been to London, that's where I'm getting all of this)

In Christ,
Shane

Joe Brody

I love Scotland -- the mountains and small towns. It's one of those places that more than lived up to my expectation after having read about it (mainly in Stevenson's works).

I've never been to England and Wales. If I could get to London I'd love to see (in order) the Channel 4 building, the new Lloyd's building, the British Musuem (? -- the one with the new closed over courtyard), and Canary Warf. I'd also like to see T.E. Lawarence's last home and the Welsh countryside,

I

Indy_Jones88

I have always wanted to travel to Europe, England Especially. I would want to visit:

Bristol-To meet a very nice, beautiful Ravener.

London-I am a History freak and would love to see all of the places of historical signifigance. I also love fish and chips :). + I really like cloudy and rainy weather and I've heard it is that way year round.

Also I would like to visit MY CASTLE. Seriously, My ancestors owned a castle somewhere over there. I will have to ask my dad where it was exactly.

Anyways, I have always wanted to travel East. Maybe someday..... (Daydreams)

Over and Out,
Kris "Indy_Jones88"

I

Indy's_main_man

Canyon said:
You like our accents? That's great!

most americans love english ones and try to immitate them (even if they're horrible at it).

some people think british accents are sexy others think they're funny.

what surprises me the most is that americans (for the most part) are oblivious to thier own accent and think they don't have one.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
We have several brands of accents here in the USA. I've lived in all parts of the US, so I've heard most of them. I speak with a funny accent at times, but if put up to it I can do a good English, Austrailian, Cockney, Scotish, and a terrible French...what can I say I teach a drama class.:)