Indy's whip

Could someone really use a whip to jump across a gorge, like in the Indy movies and games? Wouldn't the whip come undone as you swing across? If not, it would be hard to get the whip back as it would probably be locked in place.

Finn

Staff member
Techincally it's possible. I guess it all has to do with taunting the whip as soon as it wraps around its target. You can actually try this if you have a whip, simply lash it around a thin tree (or pole or something) and jerk it tight quickly, it won't come off. But at the second you take a step or two forward towards the tree... it'll come off.

Of course I won't recommend trying to cross a ravine after this test... in the case of Indy as well, the skill to do it has required a lot of practice, not to mention confidence.

(And no, I can't do this either.)

I

Indy_Jones88

If you do it just right, it might be possible. But I wouldn't go tryin it above a ravine for yoru 1st time. You just have to work with the whip, practice, and see what works and what doesn't

In the trilogy, they actually used a steel reinforced whip for the stunts.

Over and Out,
Kris "Indy_Jones88"

Battleflail

Yes, this is possible. Yes, I tried it. No, not over a ravine. I did it on a 12 foot swivel handle bullwhip from Sheplars. (Cheap whip, but it was what I had.) Swinging on a whip will definitely do some damage to it, which is why David Morgan braided a steel cable into the long whips that were used for those stunts. As for releasing it at the other side, watch TOD. After Indy swings onto the altar, he turns and flips his wrist. He is unlocking the whip.

Indydan13

I could never do it with my whip. I ruined it in one use. I did just what Indy did, but when I tried to unlock it, it ripped.

the hammer42

I got a David morgan whip. It came with a book of instructions.
it warned me about the damage you might do when putting too much pressure on a whip.

Indydan13

It was a birthday gift from an Aunt in florida. It could have been cheap, I don't know. I came in a random box with nothing but safety precautions.

Rob "jones"

well...

my first whip ever is in the post, as its my first i want to keep it for a while, you wouldnt advise me using it to attempt some "indy style" moves?

Battleflail

I think I would avoid it. If it is a cheap whip, it will probably snap and drop you on the ground. If it is a really expensive whip (DM, moment of silence) I wouldn't want to risk getting it dirty...
But you can still learn all the different cracks and have a great time. Have fun and good luck with your whip.