The Neolithic Revolution

Strider

Can somebody give me some interesting facts about the Neolithic Revolution? I've got a horendes essay due in two days about it and I could use some enlightening information.

Pale Horse

Staff member
While I seem to know everything, I can honestly say with no ego, I know nothing that can be of any help.

I am also thinking "The Raven" won't be your best resource either.

Danie

Neolithic revolution

Morning
This was one of the major aspects of my first year undergrad degree. VG Childe, coined the phrase in 1941 when he was trying to piece together the processes that led to a more sedentary life, in a nucleated village format. It relates to the more intensive use of farming and the related to consequences.
This was all based around the "Crucible of Civilisation" or Fertile Crescent of the Near East.
The teaching that he came up with, draws heavily on Marx and Lenin and he came up with 10 rules for the process of urbanisation.

<li>A dense population which is more populated than any previous settlement;</li>
<li>Enough surplus production to support a specialized craft class and other non producers of food;</li>
<li>Taxes which are paid by the primary producers;</li>
<li>Monumental architecture;</li>
<li>Formation of a ruling class;</li>
<li>A system of writing or recording of administrative functions;</li>
<li>Calendrics; arithmetic and geometry;</li>
<li>Artistic craftsmen;</li>
<li>Foreign trade in luxury goods;</li>
<li>Establishment of a political entity which guarantees security.</li>

The book that you really need is the The Dawn of Civilization by Childe.

That should be a good starting point......
It's quite enjoyable when you get going, if I was back in Cambridge, I'd post my essay.

Dan