Indy reminiscences when I was on the Greek island Zakynthos this month (september)

DaFedora

I came across some fond reminiscent experiences when I was on holiday in Zakynthos. First of all, I visited this magnificent film-scene-like bay with a stranded shipwreck, which kinda reminded me of the Coronado Ship exploding in The Last Crusade.
Also, while touring the island, our bus stopped down the road that took us to another bay where we got onto small river boats to scout the cave areas along the shores.

On my right towards the shore, I noticed a wooden cabin with fishnets (looked almost like a relic from the goldrush-epoch), located on a quite steep greenhill. I just thought it could've fitted perfectly as a setpiece for the Disneyland Indiana Jones ride or just the place where young Indy would've gone fishing with Henry Sr.

A plate, mounted right on the roof of a granery-like store (plated walls) located across the other side of the dock, displayed its name (written in red): "The ARK". This was just very coïncidental !

Finally, it appeared that our guide on the last tour her name was MARION (!) - she was a blonde, but remarkably the style of her outfit closely resembled the clothes Karen Allen wore in the Cairo sequence (puchy white fabrics and very light pants)...
I must admit (everything considered): a lot of adventure/Indy-related associations started pouring in my mind...
Didn't dig up any idols or artefacts unfortunately - then the adventure would've been complete hehe

Tennessee R

That's great.
You didn't even sneak one little piece of pottery? ;)
Have you been to Cape Sounion? That's a neat place.

DaFedora

Tennessee R said:
That's great.
You didn't even sneak one little piece of pottery? ;)
Have you been to Cape Sounion? That's a neat place.

Funny you'd mention pottery... ! In fact I've got 4 Egyptian canope (sacred urns)-replicas I bought 4 years ago during my Egypt tour (with Nile cruise... absolutely something you gotta do before you die), figuring Anubis (jackal), Horus (falcon), some other God (Nechbet i think) and a mummyfied head as lids.

But amongst my Greek replica collection, I've got the following items:
- a replica of the "Stone (diskos) of Phaestos" which is the academic example of the eldest Minoan epigraphic artefact in the yet undeciphered "Linear A" language found in one of the palace complexes of Crete.

- a painted yet coarse and aged-looking replica of a small blue, yellow, black and red decorated Minoan jar.

- a metallic greyisch plate depicting the still-uncertain-interpreted of "Bull-catapulting/jumping" sport (maybe a rite of passage for Minoan boys?) in all sequences. The edges and all sides have been irregularly chopped to ressemble the original (in stone) I think.

As for Sounion: I was there about 11 years ago and the sunset is breathtaking among the most unique in the world !