Spelling

One to upset the spell check!!

Subject: Fw: cdnuold blveiee tihs

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt

monkey

This is fascinating. You are absolutely right!! I had no problem reading that at normal speed. I was amazed.

The first and last letter is indeed the key I guess.

Great post Sundance. Very very interisteng.

Deadlock

Sundance said:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt

Reminded me of one of gladhatter's posts... :D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Nw tr smthng dffrnt...kp th cnsnnts whr thy r, bt rmv th vwls, whch rll rn't prtclrl mprtnt, frm n tmlgcl prspctv. Nw tr ths gn nd rmv ll th cnsnnts, kpng th vwls, t fnd tht ths r cnsdrbl mr mprtnt.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Sundance said:

Wanha.

intergamer

This is very old. I remember reading a counterexample on slashdot, which I've looked up. I'll elaborate:

"Anidroccg to crad cniyrrag lcitsiugnis planoissefors at an uemannd, utisreviny in Bsitirh Cibmuloa, and crartnoy to the duoibus cmials of the ueticnd rcraeseh, a slpmie, macinahcel ioisrevnn of ianretnl cretcarahs araepps sneiciffut to csufnoe the eadyrevy oekoolnr."

As demonstrated, a simple inversion of the internal characters results in a text which is relatively hard to decipher."

Microsoft's Kevin Larson, a cognitive psychologist, dissected the main hypotheses on how we read at ATypI's Vancouver Typography conference. "Kevin supports the 'parallel letter recognition' model. People don't he says, recognise whole-word shapes. Instead the recognise each of the letter components and then make a series of best-guesses on the information returned to assemble, first, phonemes and then words." So what about the case of patterned re-ordering, aka the counter example to Can You Raed Tihs?"

^^^psychologically-wise, this is how we read. If the internal characters are screwed around but still close together, we can look at the first and last letter and make a guess based on the central letters. The brain does this automatically, just as it takes information from all the senses coupled with prior knowledge to create a best-guess perception of the environment. But if you simply reverse the internal letters, they are far enough apart and scrambled in such a way that your brain will not be able to reproduce the original word very easily - at least not subconsciously.

However it is true that the human mind reads words as a whole - in fact the exact process is that it recognizes each letter and then tries to determine what the word is. But if you look at the passage on the original post, you'll see that the internal letters are very strategically oriented.

Last edited:

Tennessee R

I was not familliar with this. Thank you Sundance for starting this, and Intergamer for expanding on the information.
Code, and deciphering have interested me, and read the unabridged version of Journey to the Centre of the Earth, during the first chapter or two for a great code-creating method.