Alexander

hffan2000

well folks last night i saw what i believe to be the worst film of the year, oliver stone's alexander. the ads promise an historic action epic like braveheart or troy but what you get is an extremely poorly acted film with plenty of homoerotica. i ended up walking out midway through. avoid this film at all costs.

Indy500

Well I should have checked the reviews first.... I made the mistake of watching this train wreck, but I did finally walk out! what a waste!

westford

My boyfriend was talking about this film last night. He reckons a lot of people are complaining about how the film portrays Alexander as bisexual. Well, what do they expect? It's true. Should we rewrite history and coat it in sugar so that people like the movie version? :rolleyes:

Raffey

It's only a movie for entertainment not documentary value. I mean c'mon really... Colin is 26 and Angelina (who is playing his mom is 29). LOL!

I have absolutely no argument with rewriting a movie to not show Alexander the Great's sexual preferences. If he was into guys, personally I don't want to see it.

In fact, make it totally a war movie and skip the bf/gf stuff all together.

Personally, I think that was also where Stone went wrong. Let's face it, this is not a Lifetime or Oprah movie. The demongraphic on this film would be mainly males. And, most of them don't want the 'hero' of the movie to be 'controversial'.

Stone shot himself in the foot by not only making one of the most expensive movies ever made but by also making the main character not appealing to the demographic audience.

Finn

Staff member
Whoa, you're telling us there's still <i>auteurs</i> in this world?

Not commenting their taste, though.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
A side historical note...

westford, et. al., Only a handful of historians believe that Alexander was gay/bi. He was Macedonian, not Greek. Macedonians looked down on such sexual activity, whereas the Greeks (at the time) had a homosexual sub-culture, but they too were not public about it. It wasn't until about 200-300 years after the death of Alexander that the Greeks began openly experimenting with various sexual practices.
There is little or no evidence that Alexander was anything other than a normal, female-chasing, man who just so happened to conquer the known world.

Rick5150

Alexander the Gay?

It wasn't until about 200-300 years after the death of Alexander that the Greeks began openly experimenting with various sexual practices.
I believe the word Greek itself refers to ...ah forget it. :sick: Personally, I do not think Colin Farrell was the right choice for Alexander. I am getting sick of seeing his caterpillar eyebrows and beady eyes on every magazine I pick up too. He was acceptable in Phone Booth and way better than Ben Affleck in Daredevil (which is not saying much), but Superstar material? Not to me.