Advice on a Fedora? Miller vs. Stetson

Brown Fedora

Hi, guys -

Recently recieved a Stetson 'Temple' as a gift; the hat was too small, and will need to be exchanged for another. However, I do have the opportunity to pick up a different style, instead, the 'Indiana Miller'.

Was curious what the group thinks of these hats? Which is better quality? Which looks more authentic? That having been said, what can I do with either or to make it look more like the genuine article?

I should probably mention that I do intend to wear this fedora :whip: in all weather, on digs, etc. Did the same with my Disney Indy hat for years before the damn thing was stolen, and never had any significant problems with it. However, I think it's time to step up to something nicer.

Keep in mind that I'm a total novice when it comes to costuming, so anything I can do to avoid having to get the thing cut (no local hat shop anyway), etc would be a great bonus in this instance. Don't know how to do the whole "bashing" thing, but both of these appear to be pre-bashed, so that may not be a problem.

Appreciate any responses,

Fed

ROTLA

I personally can't help you with your situation. However, I will point you in the direction of www.indygear.com where you can find loads of info about, well, Indy gear.

Of course I'm sure others on this board will be able to give you some personal insight into their own fedora experiences.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Well the Miller is better but I would get an Adventurebilt. A rabbit one would cost you about 145 bucks. It is hand made for you and Steve Delk can bash it the way you want. He can even get your initials in the sweatband.

Are you already a member at COW?

Brown Fedora

Appreciate the input, thanks. An adventurebuilt is simply not an option, as this was a gift, and Miller Hats does not accept returns.

I have applied for membership at COW, but it hasn't been activated yet.

-Fed

roundshort

I would contact Steve King at Bounty Hunter in Telluride Colorado for the best Hand built, beaver hats inthe world, his hat guyu Daniel can do a 100% pure Indy down to the color

roundshort

I don't think he does, and he is very, very expensive, but the quailty is there up to 100% beaver, and it will alst forever. He does a lot of movie stuff.

AB´s are also 100%Beaver. Also last forever and are not that expensive. ;)

Still would like to see pics to verify that they are the best hats in the world.

Last edited:

roundshort

What is an AB? Always on a look out for a good hat, Bounty is my favorite, as they fit very well, and really, really take a beating trust I took mine all over Africa, in less than plus situations, but a cheaper alturnative is always nice.

roundshort

Thanks a lot. Hat looks great, The bounty hunters hats are really great and built for a lifetime of real work outside inthe high country, but most of us are not cattle farmers and ranchers etc. I might have to check one out, do they run pretty true to sive?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
roundshort said:
do they run pretty true to sive?

Umm, what? Do you mean that do they look like the ones on the site? Those are real pictures of real customers that are completely satisfied with the hat they received from Steve.

Webley

I have the Miller and the Stetson and the Miller is the better hat if you ask me.

This is a pick of Me my wife and my kick ass Miller hat! :whip:
6d284015.jpg