Four Choices

Four Choices

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joe Brody

While I burn most of my free time on Red Line: Destination Nepal, I?m the sort that likes to research various other stories and take notes on various scenes, characters, and storylines. Right now I?m kicking around three ideas, and I?m curious as to whether readers here would have any preference for any particular idea. Below is a short synopsis of the three projects. There is also a fourth option -- which would be telling me to stick it because my stuff is boring and sucks. I welcome all feedback.

?Marcus Brody ? Threat to the Union? (working title)
Set contemporaneously with Raiders of the Lost Ark, ?Threat to the Union? is a novella featuring Marcus Brody ? who, while staying in New York at something very similar to the Union League Club -- is tapped by an ailing retired General to track down a mysterious figure with knowledge (or even a plot) that could bring down the U.S. Government. There will be a back-story likely going back to the Civil War and a current plot that likely involves German agents. As the story unfolds, Marcus travels to various cities in North America and stays and dines at notable establishments that survive to this day. ?Threat to the Union? won?t have the swashbuckling action of an Indiana Jones story ? it?ll have a lot more of the elements of an old, old school detective novel. For example, scenes could include Marcus being followed through the empty dark alleys of Philadelphia on his way to early morning meeting with an unsavory character at Mcgillin?s Old Ale House.
Or, in Chicago, Marcus may go to The Berghoff to seek the assistance of (or to confront) a prominent German American ? and having to effect a clever escape. ?Threat to the Union? will be more like Caleb Carr?s Alienist novels, with real life historical figures appearing in the story and Sherlock Holmes style detecting. This will be the Raiders (not Last Crusade) Marcus (and no, for this adventure, Marcus is not a Mason). It?ll be one part travel-guide to interesting places and one part detective novel. Turns out the old guy wasn't too old to get it done afterall. . . and I wouldn't be surprised that Marcus happens to wrap things up in Washington D.C. just in time for Indy's arrival.

Indy Team-Up
This is a straight-up all-action adventure set immediately prior to the scene in Last Crusade on the Coronado. Essentially, Indiana Jones finds himself in Spain during the Spanish Civil War where behind Fascist lines he comes across an American dynamiter named Robert Jordan (from Hemingway?s ?For Whom The Bell Tolls?) who is intent on achieving his objective -- which, as in ?For Whom The Bell Tolls, is critical to the war. However together Jordan and Jones learn of a cache of Moorish artifacts that the Fascists ? being Fascists ? are determined to destroy. Dilemma here is that it appears to be an ?either-or? type situation ? either save the artifacts or achieve Jordan?s objectives. Complicating, the issue is that the Communists for whom Jordan serves are just as likely to want the religious artifacts destroyed and Jordan will have conflicting views on whether he should destroy the artifacts himself. This will be straight-up fast-faced action adventure. Not many characters. It will be in the spirit of Marvel Comic?s old Marvel Team-ups where two uber competant heroes get together and beat the living Hell out of everything. Things may not go that well for Indy, but he may get a lead to an artifact that he's been searching for all his life.

Joe Brody?s Indy IV Script
I?m tired of waiting and thanks to recent post from Deadlock I?ve reviewed some of my past ideas and have come up with fairly coherent idea. Here?s a summary of the first act (i.e. the first third of the script). Essentially, the film opens with an exclusive antiquities auction in New York. Indy is bidding and doing well (perhaps better than he should be because the auctioneer seems to be cutting Indy some breaks) against the well-healed elite (the object in question may even be the old Fertility Idol). On the next item Indy gets in a bidding war with a character who turns out to be a very well-dressed Sallah. Just as Indy again seems to be getting another break from the auctioneer, Sallah shouts out a preposterous sum ? so there can be no doubt as to the bid. Over initially affable drinks after the auction, Indy bemoans being tied to a Museum budget and not being able to compete with Sallah?s resources. Ambivalent and a little hard from the death of his family during WWII, Sallah ? sounding very Sydney Greenstreetish -- admits that the key is playing both sides of the big drink. For every relic or work of art he brings back to the Middle East, he ships another to some sucker (private buyer) in the U.S. for an obscene price. In fact, Sallah admits that a particularly notorious Egyptian artifact is arriving in New York by ship that day. Enraged that the artifact has left Egypt (and prompted by another stimuli), Indiana Jones storms off ? after receiving a hard warning from Sallah to not interfere with his dealings. Indiana goes to the bustling U.S. Customs House and finds that a familiar freighter is due in. On the dock all hell breaks loose and Indy ? after a truck chase through the zig-zag canyons of Southern Manhattan -- ends up with the relic. Essentially, this story turns one of the central concepts of the franchise on its head ? Indy gets the relic in the first part of the novel and has to return (repatriate) the relic. Even before getting the relic, he is plagued (haunted?) by certain figures from his past (likely Elsa, Wu Han, Forrestal and Belloq). Indy however will have several stops prior to making it to Egypt ? where, once there, he confronts Sallah in Sallah?s lavish Saloon (think of a huge terrace with billowing curtains -- reminiscent of Sallahs old and more humble abode seen in Raiders ? awash with light from a hazy golden sunset light like the void-comp testing scene in Bladerunner) and has to contend with the Ugly American used by Sallah to bull-doze sites to get to the relics needed to fuel Sallah?s business. Conceivably, this could turn out a little bit like Lord of the Rings.

Last edited:

Joe Brody

Thanks for voting Vogel. I never set up a Poll before and my fear was that no one would cast a vote.

Colonel Vogel said:
I think Indy 4 should have Dracula in it. ;)

I sorta have to doubt your sincerity but erring on the side of caution. . . .

I'm a big Dracula fan but believe that the story and characters are over-exposed now due to films like Van Helsing and League of Extra-ordinary Gentlemen -- plus novels like The Book of Renfield.

Deadlock

Torn between the three options, I voted for the crossover adventure. Putting Indy against the backdrop of war, with no clear party to trust... I really think that is taking Indy in an awesome new direction. Getting away from some of the more common elements in Indy is fresh and exciting.

My only issue with Indy vs. Sallah, is the idea of Indy as a benevolent do-gooder museum type. I could see how you might come to that conclusion after Crusade... but you know I prefer a darker Indy for his fourth outing. :) Making the villain an old friend has a nice noir feel, and I love the ideas for the reuse of Raiders elements.

EDIT: Okay, another reason why I like the team-up idea. The Cross of Coronado tie-in... I really think there's great potential to flesh out this adventure. I'd actually considered this for the writing contest. Finally, this sentence really sold me... :)

Joe Brody said:
two uber competant heroes get together and beat the living Hell out of everything.

Last edited:

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
Torn between the three options, I voted for the crossover adventure. Putting Indy against the backdrop of war, with no clear party to trust... I really think that is taking Indy in an awesome new direction. Getting away from some of the more common elements in Indy is fresh and exciting.

I agree with you, but my problem is I'm ready to write the Marcus Brody story now (having been to the places I want to use) whereas I haven't been to Spain. But I think I need to do something that's all action -- after Red Line, which (due to all the characters and storylines) has a lot of talking.

Deadlock said:
My only issue with Indy vs. Sallah, is the idea of Indy as a benevolent do-gooder museum type. I could see how you might come to that conclusion after Crusade... but you know I prefer a darker Indy for his fourth outing. :) Making the villain an old friend has a nice noir feel, and I love the ideas for the reuse of Raiders elements.

Indy wouldn't exactly be a 'do-gooder' from the get-go. It'd be pretty clear that constrained by his budget Indy may have resorted to 'fixing' the auction by getting help from the auctioneer (this would echo the opening to Temple of Doom where Indy is helped by Wu Han). As for Sallah, I'm a huge fan of the terrace scene in Raiders and I'd love to contrast that with a huge lavish but empty (no kids, no laughter, no wife) terrace in Indy IV.

Deadlock said:
EDIT: Okay, another reason why I like the team-up idea. The Cross of Coronado tie-in... I really think there's great potential to flesh out this adventure. I'd actually considered this for the writing contest. Finally, this sentence really sold me... :)

I think it is no accident that the Coronado is off the coast of Portugal (with a cargo of explosives) at that date. It just makes too much sense that Indy was just coming off some adventure in Spain.

Deadlock

Joe Brody said:
I agree with you, but my problem is I'm ready to write the Marcus Brody story now (having been to the places I want to use) whereas I haven't been to Spain. But I think I need to do something that's all action -- after Red Line, which (due to all the characters and storylines) has a lot of talking.

Well, you can always do both. ;) (After a little Spanish summer getaway?)

Joe Brody said:
Indy wouldn't exactly be a 'do-gooder' from the get-go. It'd be pretty clear that constrained by his budget Indy may have resorted to 'fixing' the auction by getting help from the auctioneer (this would echo the opening to Temple of Doom where Indy is helped by Wu Han). As for Sallah, I'm a huge fan of the terrace scene in Raiders and I'd love to contrast that with a huge lavish but empty (no kids, no laughter, no wife) terrace in Indy IV.

Maybe "do-gooder" is the wrong term. I guess I'm leery of the "it belongs in a museum" refrain. There's certainly room for development. You said Indy wants to return the artifact to Egypt because he was "prompted by another stimuli", so that might get us deeper than "it belongs in a museum."

Once again, I love the idea of a familiar scene turned on its ear.

Joe Brody said:
I think it is no accident that the Coronado is off the coast of Portugal (with a cargo of explosives) at that date. It just makes too much sense that Indy was just coming off some adventure in Spain.

Sounds good. :)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
?Marcus Brody ? Threat to the Union? (working title)
Set contemporaneously with Raiders of the Lost Ark, ?Threat to the Union? is a novella featuring Marcus Brody ? who, while staying in New York at something very similar to the Union League Club -- is tapped by an ailing retired General to track down a mysterious figure with knowledge (or even a plot) that could bring down the U.S. Government. There will be a back-story likely going back to the Civil War and a current plot that likely involves German agents. As the story unfolds, Marcus travels to various cities in North America and stays and dines at notable establishments that survive to this day. ?Threat to the Union? won?t have the swashbuckling action of an Indiana Jones story ? it?ll have a lot more of the elements of an old, old school detective novel. For example, scenes could include Marcus being followed through the empty dark alleys of Philadelphia on his way to early morning meeting with an unsavory character at Mcgillin?s Old Ale House.
Or, in Chicago, Marcus may go to The Berghoff to seek the assistance of (or to confront) a prominent German American ? and having to effect a clever escape. ?Threat to the Union? will be more like Caleb Carr?s Alienist novels, with real life historical figures appearing in the story and Sherlock Holmes style detecting. This will be the Raiders (not Last Crusade) Marcus (and no, for this adventure, Marcus is not a Mason). It?ll be one part travel-guide to interesting places and one part detective novel. Turns out the old guy wasn't too old to get it done afterall. . . and I wouldn't be surprised that Marcus happens to wrap things up in Washington D.C. just in time for Indy's arrival.

Is it any real surprise I would like to see you go this route? I just finished reading the Rule of Four, by Ian Cladwell, about Prinecton Eating clubs and a mysterious manuscript. I find the long term cyclical associations with people fascinating, as well as the possibilty of finding a pattern in friendships that could lead to darker associations. I am all for this vein.

roundshort

Hmm,
While being experty written, and very well thought out, I like the team up. I have a hard time thinking Indy would every be double crossed by two of his most trusted friends. Remember, Sallah was origninally going ot be killed in Raiders, so just the fact he was saved menas he is trusted.

Robert Jordon, the most Indy character ever (or is Indy the most Jordon like) is my favorite. While I love to see Indy kill Nazis, it would be fun to see him fighting a new foe. I woudl rather see Indy in Africa, to get back to the King Solomon Mine roots.

I think that makes the most since to close the series, Indy finding King Solomons mines, a very neat story in Africa, and we all know the Nazis were in Africa, so natural tie in witht he goose-stepping morons

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
I like the idea of the team-up the most.
Although I like the Marcus story also, I just prefer action over a slower pased detective story.
The Sallah-idea.. well, although the terrace scene would be a great thing... it somehow makes me sad to see him as the villain.

Canyon

Joe, I think that you should not give up writing fan fiction, as you do it very well. :)

I like both the Threat to the Union story with Marcus Brody and the Indy team up story. However, I'm not to keen on your Indy IV story, as I'd hate to see Sallah turn into some greedy collector.

roundshort

Sorry, VP I am one of those indy fans that only look at the movies or the Yoyng Indy series, the books are nothing until the big 4 make the movies, but that is just me, I understand that people really get into the books, but like Shakespeare, It is better viewed than read.

Joe Brody

First, I want to thank Vogel for being so quick to vote the fourth option. [Jokingly] I suspect others may have voted for this option had he not already checked the box.

Second, I'm glad the poll eliminated the Indy IV concept. That project had the most holes and I don't think I could really get into it. Although, I continue to feel strongly that Indy IV should have (i) a relic reparation theme, (ii) a familiar bad-guy (to reduce time-consuming exposition and increase audience interest), and (iii) some resolution of open questions about Indy's past.

The problem with the poll is that its deadlocked on the first first two options with three votes apiece. While it should have been no surprise, I note that there is a real appetite for action:

Ayrun said:
I like the idea of the team-up the most. . . .I just prefer action over a slower pased detective story.

Deadlock said:
Finally, [the uber competent heroes beating the Hell out of everything] sentence really sold me... :)

roundshort said:
Robert Jordon, the most Indy character ever (or is Indy the most Jordon like) is my favorite. While I love to see Indy kill Nazis, it would be fun to see him fighting a new foe.

My question is does reading action sequences in Indy fiction really deliver the goods? I ask this because all our expectations as readers are set by watching the fast-moving action sequences in the films.

My concern is that written action sequences unfold too slowly and rarely deliver the goods. . . .whereas the Marcus storyline, with all its historical elements, detective-novel styling and colorful locations really lends itself to the written form.

Help me out here . . . and other member, please vote!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Paden

I voted for the team-up option. I'm intrigued by the use of Hemingway's hero, Jordan, and how he might interact with Jones. As well, I think the story really has a lot of potential with regard to ongoing suspense, particularly with the potential for the main characters to be working at cross purposes. The different elements of the story (the war, the differing political factions' views on the artifacts, Jones and Jordan's interconnected missions) make it one where new developments (see also: complications) would probably be occurring in rapid succession once the story got rolling. Sounds like an excellent read.

As to the action scene as prose question, I think well-written action scenes can be very statisfying, with an appropriate balance of detail and good pacing. Tom Clancy comes to mind as a mainstream writer who writes satisfying action sequences, Rainbow Six having several good examples within its eight hundred plus pages. Granted, everything gets filtered through the reader's visual imagination, but I think a well-written scene can bring suspenseful action to life.

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Would Indy steal Jordon's women or hook up with Pilar?

Pilar is much women. I think Indy would agree with me on that one.

Paden said:
Tom Clancy comes to mind as a mainstream writer who writes satisfying action sequences, Rainbow Six having several good examples within its eight hundred plus pages. Granted, everything gets filtered through the reader's visual imagination, but I think a well-written scene can bring suspenseful action to life.

I never read any Clancy. Growing up I read a couple Robert Ludlums, got the formula and never went back to the genre again. I've heard good things about Rainbox Six and I'll take a look at it before I take a shot at anything truly action-oriented.

Also, thanks for your thoughts on the Jordan/Jones team-up. Your summary is better than mine.