What happened to Indy's mom?

roundshort

Haivng not seen the young Indiana Jones series, and this thread my well belong there, what happened to Indy's mother? I have only seen the movies, I wish I could see the Young Indy series, I don't believe they are out on dvd, although they probably are, and I don't look at the novels or comic as "real Indy"

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Nice, Jay good advice, scarlet fever and dies in 1912, hmmm kinda lame

What's lame about it? Wouldn't the seemingly arbitrary death of Indy's mother be the perfect wound that spurs young Indy toward the shadows?

roundshort

Hmm. . . doesn't add up if she dies while Indy is young he probably inherited some cash, so where does his desire to sell his findings for hard cold cash?

And Jay, your a prick!

No problem ToJ!

"what happened to Indy's mother?"

Sr. said in Last Crusade... "She kept her illness from me, until all I could do was morn her...."

So, some kind of disease like cancer or some such probably

roundshort

I was always hoping that she was hitting the bottle a bit hard . . . I think they called that an illness back then>

It's a more modern take on alcohol abuse... thinking of it as an illness... so I'm afraid that doesn't wash....

It also doesn't seem to fit the general tenor of the movies...

Paden

Joe Brody said:
What's lame about it? Wouldn't the seemingly arbitrary death of Indy's mother be the perfect wound that spurs young Indy toward the shadows?
That's an intriguing and valid point to ponder. If, as we can infer from Last Crusade that Indiana's relationship with his father was an emotionally distant one, it would seem that his mother's death would be foundational to Indiana's independence and lone search for purpose. Very interesting.

IAdventurer01

I like where this thread is going. :)
It seems to make perfect sence that the death of Indy's mother makes Indy into who he is. I don't remember much of the YIJC, but I remember young Indiana not being as much like the adult Indy we know and love. This would help explain that change of character.

And on another note. I don't think there is anything lame about Indy's mother dying from a disease. Keeping it a secret makes it even less lame in my opinion, because it helps add to the trauma. Now if Indy were to kick the bucket by getting sick.....

LAME

roundshort

Really I understand Indy's need for fame, to win the attention of a father that never gave him any, but why the lust for cash, was he just greedy?

IAdventurer01

Although not mentioned in the movies, according to some of the novels Indy wasn't exactly the most well-off cash wise. Most of what we see are adventures funded by someone other than Indy. Basically, Indy needs the cash to get by. He's just out to "make it big" Ironically of course, after all of his big discoveries, he leaves empty handed. :p

This would explain his desire for money. Besides, who doesn't want to live a very comfortable life?

IndyBuff

IAdventurer01 said:
Although not mentioned in the movies, according to some of the novels Indy wasn't exactly the most well-off cash wise. Most of what we see are adventures funded by someone other than Indy. Basically, Indy needs the cash to get by. He's just out to "make it big" Ironically of course, after all of his big discoveries, he leaves empty handed. :p

This would explain his desire for money. Besides, who doesn't want to live a very comfortable life?

Very well said! One thing I enjoy about Indy's character is that he's basically like everyone else cash-wise. He had modest apartments and a nice house but nothing fancy or lavish. He's working to make ends meet just like everybody else and usually needs artifacts and pieces for the museum to fund his travel.

Junior Jones

roundshort said:
Hmm. . . doesn't add up if she dies while Indy is young he probably inherited some cash, so where does his desire to sell his findings for hard cold cash?

Indy didn't inherit the cash, his father did. And he spent it all on research.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Was this before or after his living in Moab Utah? (from LC)

is this from the novelization or YIJC?

Indyologist

IAdventurer01 said:

Excellent point! Probably the most significant money Indy ever got from a find was from the Raiders escapade. Marion alone got $5,000. That was a small fortune back in the 30's. She was able to return to the States "in style." So we have to imagine that Indy probably got even more. Although one of Indy's goals is "fortune and glory," it says in the novelization of Raiders that Indy spends his money as fast as he makes it. Overall, though, I think Indy is into archeology to learn and if he makes a significant discovery that brings him scads of dough, well, that's a bonus!

Pale Horse said:

is this from the novelization or YIJC?

I believe Indy lived in Four Corners, Utah-- not Moab.

Junior Jones

Originally Posted by roundshort
Indy didn't inherit the cash, his father did. And he spent it all on research.

Pale Horse said:
Is this from the novelization or YIJC?

Actually this is just speculation. I should have said:
"If this was true, Indy wouldn't have inherited the cash, his father would have."