So what actualy moved it?

qwerty

In Temple of Doom there are some things I just do not quite understand. When Indy and ShortRound are traped in that chamber all the mechanical stuff works. How is that posible? That room was made 100 years ago. What actualy moved those stone blocks.
I can understand that the people who originaly made that place knew how to make the system of pullies but what actualy moved it all. Do not tell me that they used electromotor or some internal or external combustion engine. I do not think that it was available back then.
So what actualy moved it?

IndyBuff

To be honest, I'm not sure. It's the same thing with the light trap in Raiders and other obstacles that Indy runs into. You just have to take it for what it is.:)

qwerty

Ok, I will ask the question again.
In the world of Indiana Jones there is the room in wich there is a lot mechanical parts that move. But what gives power to all of that.

I hope that you were being ironic when you asked all of those question.

Finn

Staff member
It doesn't really need any kind of electricity or any other kind of "power" source. Everybody knowing something out of simple physics laws can say that the kind of contraption is actually functionable with simple weights and pulleys... of course there's gotta be a heck lot of them in a very complicated layout.

You know, Shorty pushes back one tile, it releases something, which is used to release something else, which is used to release yet another thing which releases something very big... anybody who's ever played a computer game called T.I.M. should know what I'm talking about.

The light shaft trap is whole another cup of tea however.

qwerty

The Inredible Machines is one of the first games that I played. And it's great game but even that game shows one big flaw.
Althow it is not hard (relativly speaking) to make a contraption using only pulies and weights it is still just a thing that can be trigered and that's it. Once it does what it's supposed to do it doesn't come back to the original position. If it would it would be perpetuum mobile. That is basic low of thermodynamics.
So that contraption NEEDS an engine.

Finaly all those years of studing payed up.

Henry Jones Sr

ClintonHammond said:
"the room in the story..."

... was a movie set

You're not thinking. ;) You have to put yourself in Indiana Jones's shoes, not Harrison Ford's. Get it? You have to think about the story, not the movie set.

qwerty

roundshort said:
Who is to say that the thuggee did not "spruce up" the room when they reopened the mines . . .hhhhmmmm?

I tought of that before I started this thread but there is still a question of how come that you do not hear any noise but the click-clack of the chains.

roundshort

qwerty said:
I tought of that before I started this thread but there is still a question of how come that you do not hear any noise but the click-clack of the chains.

because of WIllies and Shortys making too much dman noise! And the music was loud also!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
Everybody knowing something out of simple physics laws can say that the kind of contraption is actually functionable with simple weights and pulleys...

What about a steam engine generated from the volcanic activity from the chamber below? Seems pretty simple.

qwerty

Pale Horse said:
What about a steam engine generated from the volcanic activity from the chamber below? Seems pretty simple.

That is actualy preaty good idea. If the steam engine technology was good enough at the time when the chamber was built that would be very possible.
No wonder that today there is so many good engineers coming from India.

Patrick

perhaps there were two sets of pulleys. one activated by the block, and the other by the stone, pulling in the opposite direction. One could've had a stronger base or somehow ended the first pulley sequence.