archaeology

junior

would real archaeology be anything like indiana jones? i mean would i have any adventure, risks and danger? do you have to figure out riddles and dodge booby traps? or do you just dig and hope for the best? thanks,
Jnr

Ouroboros

Well, I doubt there's much risk of booby traps and riddles. Unfortunately, most archaeology is only exciting in an academic way, involving the uncovery of walls, fragments of pottery, etc. As Indy himself says in The Last Crusade, 90% of all archaeology is done in the library with research.

However, there is adventure from time to time. Hiram Bingham back in 1911 spent days hiking through the Andes mountains looking for Vilcapampa (Macchu Pichu), Bob Ballard and Clive Cussler get to spend a lot of time under the sea looking for wrecks, and occasionally, without any real physical adventure you get the thrill of a magnificent discovery.

But on the whole, no. Not only is archaeology not a high-paying job, but it's pretty scholarly and methodical as well.

qwerty

Archaeology is the search for fact. Not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Doctor Tyree's Philosophy class is right down the hall. So forget any ideas you've got about lost cities, exotic travel, and digging up the world. Eve do not follow maps to buried treasure and "X" never, ever, marks the spot. Seventy percent of all archaeology is done in the library. Research. Reading. We cannot afford to take mythology at face value.

IndyBuff

There have been some reports of traps and things like that. I saw an interview on the History Channel that involved an archaeologist who had found traps and dangers inside tombs, although I'm sure those are rare cases. Archaeology can be exciting but the odds of running into traps, deadly tribes and grave robbers are probably few and far between.

junior

qwerty said:
Archaeology is the search for fact. Not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Doctor Tyree's Philosophy class is right down the hall. So forget any ideas you've got about lost cities, exotic travel, and digging up the world. Eve do not follow maps to buried treasure and "X" never, ever, marks the spot. Seventy percent of all archaeology is done in the library. Research. Reading. We cannot afford to take mythology at face value.

you watch waaaaaaay to much indy... and as to how i knew it was from indy eludes me but i dont think it involves the fact that i watch wat to much indy
and X did mark the spot...

"would real archaeology be anything like indiana jones?"

No

i hate you! arhh you just ruined my dreams, ambitions and dreams! i am gonna go eat a tub of choc mint, i hope your happy:mad:

junior

i know this is gettin' old but i was reading a book "temple" (M. reilly) and in it it refers to archaeologist being killed and torchered in rural parts of the world by natives who didnt like caucasions, do you think this really happens? because in his other books he does alot of research and have found his facts to be true and so i feel he has credibility behind him. however the stuff he says that happens to the archs isnt exactly plausible....:confused:

qwerty

junior said:
you watch waaaaaaay to much indy

I went to google, typed in words "Indiana Jones and the last crusade script", and then I followed the link. There I found those lines.
There is no person in the world that could type all of that just by memory.

IndyBuff

qwerty said:
I went to google, typed in words "Indiana Jones and the last crusade script", and then I followed the link. There I found those lines.
There is no person in the world that could type all of that just by memory.

I'm pretty sure there are a few of us here that could, or at least could come fairly close (me included).;)

Deadlock

junior said:
i hate you! arhh you just ruined my dreams, ambitions and dreams! i am gonna go eat a tub of choc mint, i hope your happy:mad:

I hope you were joking, because that's the funniest thing I've read all day. :D

roundshort

Would you rather archaeology be like Jurrasic Park or Indy? Personally I wish Truck Driving was more like Big Trouble in Little China!

phatr32

no, arceholigy isnt like indi movies.

and archeoligist dont get the chick either.

nor do they keep any artifacts (legally)

steve

junior

alright, we have covered the fact that archaeology isnt like indy unless by some freak coincidence you happen to stumble upon nazi. my more recent question is do you get a finders fee (like if you find the templars resure do you become real rich?)
and my second one was are there any rural areas where archaeologists get killed because i read a book and there are all these stories of archs getting killed by native poachers, rebels ect.
and no i did not eat a tub of choc mint......
.....we were out so i settled for choc fudge ga-gady-gu (thats meant to be quagmire)
:whip:
Jnr
PS: steve, as to whether or not you get the chick depends on who you are CO*whenilooktomyleftiloollikeharrisonford*UGH... wheres my cough medicine...

westford

junior said:
alright, we have covered the fact that archaeology isnt like indy unless by some freak coincidence you happen to stumble upon nazi. my more recent question is do you get a finders fee (like if you find the templars resure do you become real rich?)
and my second one was are there any rural areas where archaeologists get killed because i read a book and there are all these stories of archs getting killed by native poachers, rebels ect.
1. It depends on the country you make the find in. Here in the UK, we have laws relating to the finding of treasure (plus a long definition of what 'treasure' is). Some archaeological finds belong to the Crown, but others can be kept by whoever finds them, or a museum might choose to buy them. You're unlikely to get rich from simply discovering a new site.

2. Yes, there probably are some places in the world where that could happen/has happened. A German archaeologist was held hostage in Iraq in 2004 for example (she was released after a ransom of $5 million was paid, but that story could easily have had a different ending).

indifan101

All hollywood bro, all hollywood. But ya got to admitt that would be an awsome life!:D Painful but still worth it!