Tools for those interested in archaeology

Gotro

Cotswold Archaeological Tools & Services
http://www.catsco.org.uk/
The only company I've found so far that has a wide range of various archaeological equipment resides in the United Kingdom. They sell a starter kit for 150USD that includes:
* 4" WHS Spear & Jackson Trowel
* Leaf Trowel
* Line Level
* Plumb bob
* Pair of Arrows
* Vernier Gauge
* Kneeling Mat
* 3M Hand Tape
* 1" Paint Brush
* 2" Paint Brush
* Hank of Twine
* Eraser
* Pair Bulldog Clips
* 4 Clothes Pegs
* Assorted Finds Bags
* Assorted Finds Labels
* Nails
* Single Disposable Scalpel
* Roll of Masking Tape

All in a Large Tool Box

I also suggest purchasing a Gravestone Rubbing Kit (http://www.gravestoneartwear.com/rubbingkit.html) for when you are digging at field schools they rarely let you keep tablets and other finds. This way you can make a rubbing of your finds and be able to study them later.

Trust me, IF you wanna find real antiquities you just need 5 things:
  1. A good Metal Detector
  2. A shovel
  3. Indy's fedora
  4. A strong patience
  5. Shankara (who doesn't need it):)

If that's what you want to do you're better off going to the store and getting it all for your self. Trowels are pretty cheap. Line levels, brushes and the rest are even cheaper. I would say you could get all of that for $40-50 at most, and most of it you don't need. What do you even need a pair of arrows for? Plus most archaeologists use Marshaltown Trowles because they are all metal.

Gotro

Indyfan28 said:
One thing. If it is an archeology company, why is it called Catsco and has 2 cats on the homepage?

It's an acronym for cotswold archaeological tools & services :)

Edward The Head said:
If that's what you want to do you're better off going to the store and getting it all for your self. Trowels are pretty cheap. Line levels, brushes and the rest are even cheaper. I would say you could get all of that for $40-50 at most, and most of it you don't need. What do you even need a pair of arrows for? Plus most archaeologists use Marshaltown Trowles because they are all metal.

The price is steep because it's been converted from pounds. The arrows are used for setting the height of a section string line. :)

fortuneandglory

Hey

Hey, heres a real good kit to have. You can get most of those things at the hardware store, so I suggest you do that first... And make yourself a suitcase for it all. Yea, thats right, a suitcase. I have an archaeology kit, my brother made it for me when I was younger. It has the basic tools, and it also has a journal, and a suitcase to carry it in. Now, the suitcase is simply wooden. The great thing about it is, it comes with two different sizes of sifters, so you can sift through the dirt for the small things. Its a great tool to have!