Shia LaBeouf announces retirement

IndyForever

Make no difference to Indy 5 as Shia upset Spielberg with his highly unprofessional comments about Indy 4 so Spielberg dropped him as a protégé. Transformers dropped him as the lead actor & his career has been in free fall ever since Indy 4.

He's an egotistical punk.

Not only that, his recent attitude toward stealing someone's work and claiming it as his own is pathetic. His attempts at apologies seem close to being sarcastic to the rightful owner of the works he stole. Not to mention it is said he plagarized the entire first apology as well.

I read there is also trouble on the set of the WW2 film he is doing with Brad Pitt, andthat Pitt himself is upset with the guy's attitude. I think he fancies himself the Robert Downey Jr of his generation, but he is missing the likeableness. As an actor he is OK, but nowhere near the caliber of RDJ. Maybe in 20 years when he learns some humility (like RDJ possibly did) then he will be able to become relevent as an actor.

The Drifter

I couldn't care less that some overpaid actor is retiring. I don't hate him, but I don't love him either. I wish him well in life, but I sure won't loose any sleep over it.

HenryJunior

I think he can be a good actor, one of my favorite movies of his is "The Greatest Game Ever Played". Unfortunately I don't think he can dig out of his hole, and I agree with The Drifter, we're all just collectively shrugging and moving on.

Maybe he'll come back in few years when he's a little wiser and give us a good surprise.

And as for Indy 5, the scope of that film is yet to be seen but I have a feeling Mutt will get brushed aside like many supporting characters in the world of Indiana Jones, such as: Short Round, Willie Scott, no Marcus Brody in TOD, and no Marion until KOTCS. Mutt is going back to School :)

Finn

Staff member
Is he really eligible for public pension? The guy's older than he looks.

Walecs

HenryJunior said:
Mutt is going back to School :)

Oh really! What happend to "There's not a damn thing wrong, with you kid, don't let anybody ealse tell you any different!" ? :p

Forbidden Eye

Like Joaquin Phoenix who "quit" acting only to return quickly, I'm pretty sure this isn't the last we'll hear of "The Beef". I mean this kid has been acting for almost his entire life, what else is he going to do to support himself? Bake?

As has been stated, his clashing with Spielberg/Ford has made him less eligible to return to Indy 5 so not much has changed. I didn't mind Mutt Williams, but was also a bit indifferent so its really no loss. Seeing they'll likely have to expand the Indyverse and create new characters, it's actually quite the good thing he'd not return.

kongisking

Well, here we go...

It's a damn shame Shia had to go this route. From the start, I'd been a supporter of him, and still really enjoy his performance in Crystal Skull. He had a charm to him, a likable goofiness in his roles, and a quick, endearing wit. And for the last few years, I've continued to try to support him and defend him as Mutt.

But now I can't watch Crystal Skull without a huge depressed feeling every time I see Mutt, with the knowledge that the character will never go anywhere or contribute to the franchise beyond that film. The movie built up his huge, huge, huge role in the story of Indy's life and the possibilities in future adventures...and now he's going to be Jokered, disowned by the continuity and ignored. Just a pointless story arc, never to be properly explored or finished.

And it's because of LaBeouf's ego and idiocy. I don't usually like to say this, but he's literally ruined the franchise with his presence in it, not because he is bad in it, but because now this franchise is cursed with having had such a jackass be a major role in it, thus tarnishing its quality and reputation. It makes me bitter as hell, that the son of Indiana Jones was him.

Damn, I need to get to sleep. Pray it's a bad dream... :(

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
...he's literally ruined the franchise with his presence in it, not because he is bad in it, but because now this franchise is cursed with having had such a jackass be a major role in it, thus tarnishing its quality and reputation.

Sweet dreams. :sleep:

And remember, all you have to do is draw a line under The Last Crusade and consign the rest to a box labelled "George Lucas' fan-fiction".

That's what I do. Works a treat and preserves the integrity of the legitimate trilogy. ;)

But, damn! The Transformers are going to have to find another nerd of Shia's quality and expertize. :mad:

The Drifter

kongisking said:
Well, here we go...

It's a damn shame Shia had to go this route. From the start, I'd been a supporter of him, and still really enjoy his performance in Crystal Skull. He had a charm to him, a likable goofiness in his roles, and a quick, endearing wit. And for the last few years, I've continued to try to support him and defend him as Mutt.

But now I can't watch Crystal Skull without a huge depressed feeling every time I see Mutt, with the knowledge that the character will never go anywhere or contribute to the franchise beyond that film. The movie built up his huge, huge, huge role in the story of Indy's life and the possibilities in future adventures...and now he's going to be Jokered, disowned by the continuity and ignored. Just a pointless story arc, never to be properly explored or finished.

And it's because of LaBeouf's ego and idiocy. I don't usually like to say this, but he's literally ruined the franchise with his presence in it, not because he is bad in it, but because now this franchise is cursed with having had such a jackass be a major role in it, thus tarnishing its quality and reputation. It makes me bitter as hell, that the son of Indiana Jones was him.

If they ever do another film and what Mutt along for the ride - just use a different actor.

Finn

Staff member
Túrin Turambar said:
will be set in the 1960s now..so just have mutt fighting in nam...we never see him again.
Let me guess, he met his demise by fragging?

Goodeknight

Look -- all the "retirement" hubbub is is based on two Tweets. So it's practically worthless from the start. I mean, a Tweet isn't a notarized legal document in triplicate. It's a random thought someone feels like sharing with the world on a whim.

Furthermore, all it says is that he's "retiring from public life." Nothing about retiring from film. Reads more like a Hollywood brat saying he wants to be left alone (while continuing to make movies and rake in millions of dollars).

He's not retiring. I don't hate him, but I think he's a crappy actor with a weak personality both in life and on screen. Not the right fit for Indy's son.