Anybody who still thinks Harrisons age is an issue...

Zorg

nezobiwan said:
Here's an issue I see.... Almost every thread I have read regularly or enjoyed has been ruined by an argument that has ensued between you and another member or members of the forum. And I see it as a mark of IMMATURITY to criticize absolutely everything, KNOWING that "Some unfortunate people are unable to endure criticism of something they like without taking it personally."

It's not a question of whether THEY should be taking things personally, but rather a question of whether YOU should exploit that to provoke them needlessly when YOU KNOW that the people you are speaking to tend to react that way.

I've been thinking about the exact same thing while reading this thread. Thank you for saying it out loud, nezobiwan.

FK "Compassion"... if you want something to be about your fragile emotions, go ask your mom to hold your hand... There is no such expectation attached to the internet.

"It's not a question of whether THEY should be taking things personally"
It absolutely is... Each person is responsible for their own reactions to things. If you think you're going to be able to nancy your way through life and NEVER be offended, never be challenged in the way you think or feel, you're sadly mistaken. Nowhere is it written that the world has to treat you and your 'beliefs', your 'opinions' with any sort of kid-gloves.

Opinions and beliefs exist TO be challenged.... Otherwise they have no purpose.

I can't imagine how worthless the discussions here would be if there was a 'rule' that promised to insulate posters from everything they might ever NOT like.... The only way to do that would be to ensure that no one ever posted anything.

"KNOW that this block of text was written by a PERSON"
Don't give a crap.... I don't KNOW anyone here, in exactly the same way that nobody here knows anything about me, except what I chose to show you... Posts here aren't people to me, nor do they have to be. (They can't be... It's impossible to know anyone in this text-only world... all you know is what you PROJECT of yourself and your own expectations onto that text.)

YMMV... But that's your burden to carry. I chose not to weigh myself down with any such thing....

"heinously off-topic."
Thanks for keeping it there.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
"KNOW that this block of text was written by a PERSON"
Don't give a crap.... I don't KNOW anyone here, in exactly the same way that nobody here knows anything about me, except what I chose to show you... Posts here aren't people to me, nor do they have to be.
Ouch. :(

So... what?!?! You think maybe you can KNOW someone just from what they post on a message board?

I can't see how....

Can you know someone from what they write on a mens room wall? Can you know someone from what they graffiti onto the side of a building?

Maybe you have WAY more insight into the text that people write than I do, but I suspect it's more that you just accept your own projections, your own assumptions about people than I do....

See, I KNOW how capable I am (And many many others are) at being deceptive, especially in the txt only world of the internet... Given how difficult it is NOT to misinterpret something that someone has posted in the first place, when you toss that element in as well, it becomes all too likely that the person you THINK you're communicating with is in fact NOTHING at all like what you think they are....

Maybe if we're going to continue this discussion, which is now not about Harrison Fords age at all, but is instead about how people communicate online, maybe we aughta move this to the off-topic board....

I'll leave that to you.... IF you want to keep talking about it, let's do it there where it belongs.... If you want to drop it, I'm fine with that too.

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
Don't give a crap.... I don't KNOW anyone here, in exactly the same way that nobody here knows anything about me, except what I chose to show you... Posts here aren't people to me, nor do they have to be. (They can't be... It's impossible to know anyone in this text-only world... all you know is what you PROJECT of yourself and your own expectations onto that text.

Well hopefully you know that there are actually people BEHIND the posts who can be offended by what you say.

nezobiwan

I've transferred my part of this current conversation to the off topic forum under the thread "Online Communication" at the suggestion of CH. Everyone else can feel free to join us there, or continue discussing Harrison Ford's age in this thread.

"continue discussing Harrison Ford's age in this thread"

I wonder if maybe the apparent large cut of his jacket (See the spoiler pics for more... I won't link to 'em so no one sees them by accident) is an effort to play UP the fact that he's old.... It sure serves to make him look like he's maybe shrunk a bit!

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
"continue discussing Harrison Ford's age in this thread"

I wonder if maybe the apparent large cut of his jacket (See the spoiler pics for more... I won't link to 'em so no one sees them by accident) is an effort to play UP the fact that he's old.... It sure serves to make him look like he's maybe shrunk a bit!

Maybe he actually HAS shrunk a bit.

nezobiwan

I can't remember where I heard or read this... I seem to remember hearing somewhere someone saying that Ford was relieved that he could still "fit into the pants" and it was meant literally. Perhaps they didn't change the specs on the costume to give it that realistic "I haven't worn this in years" look? Does anyone remember reading or hearing that phrase somewhere?

"to give it that realistic "I haven't worn this in years" look?"
Except that he's still wearing brand new costumes (Broken down as they might be)

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
"who can be offended by what you say"
Their responses, their emotions, are THEIR responsibility, not mine.

I see. So if I call you a dirty lowlife pr*ck, then its your fault you're offended is it?

Raiders90

Matinee Idyll said:
Subtle? I woulda said 'wooden'... but y'know, in a charming, Bogart, Grant kinda way.

I know this is an old post, but how is Harrison's acting ''wooden''?
I'm not really an expert on acting techniques or anything but still....

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
I know this is an old post, but how is Harrison's acting ''wooden''?
I'm not really an expert on acting techniques or anything but still....

I suppose the primary thing that would lead to that being said is that he doesn't go in for a lot of histrionics, or funny voices, or latex noses. Sure, his voice is a little monotone sometimes, the lack of those first three is definitely an advantage. (Of course, it works for some, but I feel that's the exception rather than the rule.)

This essay comes to mind, by Manny Farber, the bits on termite acting.

Manny Farber said:
Movies have always been suspiciously addicted to termite-art tendencies. Good work usually arises where the creators (Laurel and Hardy, the team of Howard Hawks and William Faulkner operating on the first half of Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep) seem to have no ambitions towards gilt culture but are involved in a kind of squandering-beaverish endeavor that isn't anywhere or for anything. A peculiar fact about termite-tapeworm-fungus-moss art is that it goes always forward eating its own boundaries, and, likely as not, leaves nothing in its path other than the signs of eager, industrious, unkempt activity.

The most inclusive description of the art is that, termite-like, it feels its way through walls of particularization, with no sign that the artist has any object in mind other than eating away the immediate boundaries of his art, and turning these boundaries into conditions of the next achievement. Laurel and Hardy, in fact, in some of their most dyspeptic and funniest movies, like Hog Wild, contributed some fine parody of men who had read every "How to Succeed" book available; but, when it came to applying their knowledge, reverted instinctively to termite behavior.

One of the good termite performances (John Wayne's bemused cowboy in an unreal stage town inhabited by pallid repetitious actors whose chief trait is a powdered make-up) occurs in John Ford's The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Better Ford films have been marred by a phlegmatically solemn Irish personality that goes for rounded declamatory acting, silhouetted riders along the rim of a mountain with golden sunset behind them, and repetitions in which big bodies are scrambled together in a rhythmically curving Rosa Bonheurish composition. Wayne's acting is infected by a kind of hoboish spirit, sitting back on its haunches doing a bitter-amused counterpoint to the pale, neutral film life around him. In an Arizona town that is too placid, where the cactus was planted last night and nostalgically casted actors do a generalized drunkenness, cowardness, voraciousness, Wayne is the termite actor focusing only on a tiny present area, nibbling at it with engaging professionalism and a hipster sense of how to sit in a chair leaned against a wall, eye a flogging overactor (Lee Marvin). As he moves along at the pace of a tapeworm, Wayne leaves a path that is only bits of shrewd intramural acting -- a craggy face filled with bitterness, jealousy, a big body that idles luxuriantly, having long grown tired with roughhouse games played by old wrangler types like John Ford.

caats

cowboys_and_aliens03.jpg

i thought this was applicable and BADASS.