Young Indiana Jones Chronicles McDonald's promo

lonestriker

Hello all,
Hoping for your collective help. I have been trying to find the promo for young indiana jones that shipped on the VHS copies of Indian Jones that was given out at mcdonalds. It was a lot better than the stuff I can find on youtube but b/c of its uniqueness I can't find it anywhere.

J

metalinvader

That was amazing.Thanks for sharing this gem.The voice acting is a a bit dodgy,Not very Indy like but the clips they used was the perfect representation of the show.

Good stuff!:hat:

Stoo

Thank You, Lonestriker and Dad!

Lonestriker, I can't THANK YOU enough! McDonald's in Canada did not have the VHS promo so I have never, ever seen this before. A-W-E-S-O-M-E! Indeed, it as a gem. My deepest and most sincerest gratitude to you & your Dad for the RARE GIFT...:hat:

This is really cool, from the opening of the diary to all the maps/graphics. I'll have to look into it but am pretty sure there is unused footage from the "Somme" episode and some of the lines in the narration made me laugh out loud.

"Especially that trip to China where I ALMOST DIED!":dead:
&
"...and needless to say...I fell in love more than once." (cut to Corey, "Holy Smokes!"):D

@metalinvader: I bet a lot of people would have preferred this voice to George Hall's. Shocking to hear at first but we now have another actor (whoever he is) to put on the list of people who have portrayed Indiana Jones.

Crack that whip

I don't know if I'd count a voiceover for a promo spot as an "actual" performance, but it does warrant mentioning.

So, wow, Stoo, you'd never seen this? I remember watching it back in the day (I wonder whether I still have it?). It's certainly good to see again.

Stoo said:
Lonestriker, I can't THANK YOU enough! McDonald's in Canada did not have the VHS promo so I have never, ever seen this before. A-W-E-S-O-M-E! Indeed, it as a gem. My deepest and most sincerest gratitude to you & your Dad for the RARE GIFT...:hat:

Shocking to hear at first but we now have another actor (whoever he is) to put on the list of people who have portrayed Indiana Jones.

Yea! A thread about Indiana Jones! Thanks for the post, always nice to get something new, (old) to watch!

metalinvader

Stoo said:
"Especially that trip to China where I ALMOST DIED!":dead:
&
"...and needless to say...I fell in love more than once." (cut to Corey, "Holy Smokes!"):D
Heh.That "Almost died' line drew a smirk from me as well.Apparently,It's the only time Indy has cheated death!:p

The 'fell in love more than once" line I really dug.In fact it reminded me of one of the "Young Indy has to many girl friends' threads from awhile back.

indyclone25

i remember seeing that video on something before ---- maybe on the vhs from mcdonalds also but they might have also aired it on abc at one time te when the aired raiders on abc , it was nice seeing it again

Crack that whip

AnnieJones said:
It doesn't look like a McDonalds commercial?

It's not. Back around 1991, that promo was put at the beginning of VHS tapes of the three movies that then existed, and the McDonald's promotion was that the tapes were sold for a couple weeks or so in McDonald's restaurants for a low price (something like $5.99, I think - something significantly lower than they normally cost otherwise at the time). The idea was to entice people to pick up new tapes of the classic movies at the promotional price, thus getting the Young Indy promo spot seen by lots of people.

There were separate TV commercials for McDonald's promoting the availability of the movies in the restaurants, which would hopefully get people to go to McD's and buy the Indy movies with their Happy Meals, get home, put the tapes in and see the Young Indy promo before the movies.

Lao_Che

Stoo said:
@metalinvader: I bet a lot of people would have preferred this voice to George Hall's.

Why isn't it George Hall's voice in the promo? The promo guy can be the voice of New Jersey Jones.
new_jersey_jones.gif

indyclone25

Crack that whip said:
It's not. Back around 1991, that promo was put at the beginning of VHS tapes of the three movies that then existed, and the McDonald's promotion was that the tapes were sold for a couple weeks or so in McDonald's restaurants for a low price (something like $5.99, I think - something significantly lower than they normally cost otherwise at the time). The idea was to entice people to pick up new tapes of the classic movies at the promotional price, thus getting the Young Indy promo spot seen by lots of people.

There were separate TV commercials for McDonald's promoting the availability of the movies in the restaurants, which would hopefully get people to go to McD's and buy the Indy movies with their Happy Meals, get home, put the tapes in and see the Young Indy promo before the movies.

and if i'm not wrong i do believe that a year later mcdonalds did a similsr promotion with back to the future , where they sold the trilogy for 5.99 a video

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
I don't know if I'd count a voiceover for a promo spot as an "actual" performance, but it does warrant mentioning.

So, wow, Stoo, you'd never seen this? I remember watching it back in the day (I wonder whether I still have it?). It's certainly good to see again.
No, as mentioned, McDonald's in Canada (in my province, anyhow) didn't have the Indy VHS promo. This is brand NEW stuff for me, Crack!:D To put the situation bluntly, I'm as happy as a pig in sh*t to see this so thanks again to lonestriker and his Dad!!!:hat:

Re: a new Indy performance. I agree with you which is why I chose the word, "portrayed" (in a Doug-Lee-kind-of-way).;)
metalinvader said:
Heh.That "Almost died' line drew a smirk from me as well. Apparently, it's the only time Indy has cheated death!
Ha ha! No kidding. "Very funny", as Shorty would say.:D

metalinvader said:
The 'fell in love more than once" line I really dug.In fact it reminded me of one of the "Young Indy has to many girl friends' threads from awhile back.
That was a memorable one.:D indy's fiancees, ever get tired of them?
Lao_Che said:
Why isn't it George Hall's voice in the promo? The promo guy can be the voice of New Jersey Jones.
new_jersey_jones.gif
Good one, Lao Che.:) The voice definitely fits New Jersey Jones but I find it much closer to an older Indy than George Hall (who was Canadian and his accent takes away from the believability). Why isn't it G.Hall? Most likely because he had not yet been cast at that point (1991) and the bookends weren't even filmed. (There's an example in Season 2 which shows how close to airdate the bookends were shot.)

Does anyone know EXACTLY when the McDee's VHS promo was available/took place in 1991?:confused:
Stoo said:
I'll have to look into it but am pretty sure there is unused footage from the "Somme" episode
What a G_dsend. Just noticed even MORE UNUSED FOOTAGE and alternate shots! The MUSIC is UNIQUE! Details to follow...

The promo is a treasure trove and earliest (to my knowledge) glimpse of the TV show. I hate to go against lonestriker's judgement but this topic deserves to be in the Young Indy section. It's too precious for YIJC fans to miss!

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Does anyone know EXACTLY when the McDee's VHS promo was available/took place in 1991?:confused:

I'm not sure, but I think it might've been around October, for some reason, but don't hold me to it. Surely there must be some publicity of the period someone here could dig up.

As mentioned earlier, there were actual McDonald's commercials themselves for the promo - at least two of them and perhaps more, IIRC. I specifically remember one of them using footage from the Tri-Motor flight / map montage from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (I think there were three spots, each featuring scenes from a different movie), and they all mentioned that the three movies were now available at McDonald's (!) at this special price for a limited time (I don't think the McD's commercials said anything about the YIJC promo spots on the tapes; it would have come as a complete surprise to most people buying them). Anyway, if we could find an old tape with one of those commercials for this promo, other topical references on the tape (or perhaps some dates in the commercial(s) itself/themselves) could pin it down for us.

Stoo said:
What a G_dsend. Just noticed even MORE UNUSED FOOTAGE and alternate shots! The MUSIC is UNIQUE! Details to follow...

The music is, I believe, stock library music chosen for its general "adventury" sound, and (I'm almost certain, though not quite) not something specifically composed for the show or any other Indy-specific project. I've heard it one other time, when it was used for a superhero-themed sketch on a '90s TV comedy series - Fox's In Living Color, IIRC. Virtually all I remember of it was this same music accompanying shots of one of the Wayans brothers flying around in a red tights ensemble.

Stoo said:
The promo is a treasure trove and earliest (to my knowledge) glimpse of the TV show. I hate to go against lonestriker's judgement but this topic deserves to be in the Young Indy section. It's too precious for YIJC fans to miss!

It was indeed my own first glimpse of actual motion footage from the show, though I believe I'd already seen still photos from the production in the pages of The Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine, the fan club publication that later became The Star Wars Insider.

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
I'm not sure, but I think it might've been around October, for some reason, but don't hold me to it. Surely there must be some publicity of the period someone here could dig up.

As mentioned earlier, there were actual McDonald's commercials themselves for the promo - at least two of them and perhaps more, IIRC. I specifically remember one of them using footage from the Tri-Motor flight / map montage from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (I think there were three spots, each featuring scenes from a different movie), and they all mentioned that the three movies were now available at McDonald's (!) at this special price for a limited time (I don't think the McD's commercials said anything about the YIJC promo spots on the tapes; it would have come as a complete surprise to most people buying them). Anyway, if we could find an old tape with one of those commercials for this promo, other topical references on the tape (or perhaps some dates in the commercial(s) itself/themselves) could pin it down for us.
Those commercials would be cool to see. (I know many people LOATHE McDonald's but I am not one of them. I love McD's and I love Indy so those adverts are right up my alley!) Thanks for the estimate on the date. So you recall later in the year than spring or summer? Perhaps someone else can shed some more light.
Crack that whip said:
The music is, I believe, stock library music chosen for its general "adventury" sound, and (I'm almost certain, though not quite) not something specifically composed for the show or any other Indy-specific project. I've heard it one other time, when it was used for a superhero-themed sketch on a '90s TV comedy series - Fox's In Living Color, IIRC. Virtually all I remember of it was this same music accompanying shots of one of the Wayans brothers flying around in a red tights ensemble.
Phew! Good. Thanks for your keen ear, Crack. One less thing to track down!;)
Crack that whip said:
It was indeed my own first glimpse of actual motion footage from the show, though I believe I'd already seen still photos from the production in the pages of The Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine, the fan club publication that later became The Star Wars Insider.
Which started out as the "Star Wars Fan Club Newsletter" (if I remember correctly:confused:). The 1st motion footage I saw was from commercials for the upcoming "Curse of the Jackal" premiere. What an exciting time...(y)

Here's the RARE stuff from the preview that I've noticed (so far):
0:00-0:10 - The hands/diary is obviously special to the preview. I wonder who played the part of Indy's hands in this shot?:p
0:16-0:17 - European cityscape. Where is this from???
0:20-0:22 - OUTAKE from "Barcelona/Espionage Escapades"
0:22-0:22 - TEMPLE OF DOOM! (Not rare but it's funny that it was used)
0:22-0:23 - People disembarking boat. Looks like Venice. Where is this from???
0:30-0:35 - OUTAKE of Ms. Seymour tutouring Indy aboard ship to Egypt from "Curse of the Jackal/My First Adventure".
0:46-0:50 - ALTERNATE SHOT of Indy by the campfire near the pyramids from "Curse of the Jackal/My First Adventure".
1:11-1:14 - OUTAKES of Indy approaching the snake charmer/close-up of snake charmer from "Curse of the Jackal/My First Adventure".
2:08-2:25 - OUTAKES of Belgian assault in the "Somme/Trenches of Hell"

There may be a couple more...Thank you again, LONESTRIKER!

AnnieJones

When I watch the video,it only goes a little past half way right where he mentions about joining WWI.Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
AnnieJones said:
When I watch the video,it only goes a little past half way right where he mentions about joining WWI.Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem?

No such trouble, no. It goes through to the end for me.