A New DVD Collection?

Indy fan 235

If these have anything extra that isn't already on the DVDs out then I'll buy these. Just like I did with my VHS copies, I'll give the ones I have now to my friend's kids.

Grizzlor

No way I am buying the Trilogy on DVD again until after KOTCS has come to DVD. Given Spielberg's reluctance to do commentary, I can't imagine what the set would have to entice me?

Salacious

^ Exactly.

I doubt this set will have anything new that is worthwhile. I'll wait the several years for the definitive bluray boxset...as I dont yet have a hidef player or tv set....that will also have to wait....a long time.

Blue Jay

if it is indeed tagged special edition than we have something different on our hands, which would be really cool.

On the other hand, it could be that they will only release the movies separatley and cut the making of according to each movie, mix in the trailer and one of the featurette and you have your special edition and "wont be forced" to buy the whole box set :mad: This would be a pretty crappy idea, wont it?

In the end, i think it will be something in between, maybe a deleted scene and a short making of on indy 4, nothing to lose one's pants.

Tyger Cheex

Well Paramount is now onboard with Blu Ray (see this article fromt he Hollywood Reporter) so that means Indy on Blu-Ray is a strong possibility so I think it will be worth waiting.

Yeah it would be nice to see things like deleted scenes and stuff deom the new film but they will be on youtube within hours of them being released (assuming there IS any in the "special editions") so I'll get my fix there! But as a PS3 owner, I'll be waiting to see what happens after KOTCS is released before I start buying films I already have!

blueseattle

Finn said:
There is nothing definite about a 2nd edition DVD release at the moment. They might release a "quadrilogy" box or they may not. I don't think there will be a re-edited trilogy collection to come around the same time as the first KotCS DVD release. We'd heard something about it by now.

Even if they do release one, I doubt that apart from a few possible new extras, we'll get one with the most desired thingies that were not in the current set; commentaries for the original trilogy (they'll probably whip something together for KotCS, I figure). One thing that might urge one to buy the current trilogy collection is that they're pretty much cheaper now than they were back in the day.

To me it's always been about the movies, never the extras so I guess I'll just go with whatever first single-DVD release we get of KotCS. They'll hardly be pushing out a re-edited quadrilogy box at the same time as the first KotCS release and I think most of us around end up getting that one no matter the future ones down the so...

This is what I would do based on the info we have now. Of course, anything can come up, but I don't see the $40-60 (or ?30-40) a wasted sum right now even if there'll be something allegedly better down road. It's Indy, after all.

Pretty much my thoughts, too. However, some deleted scenes might be great and commentary with Ford and Spielberg would be sublime.

-Jones-

Little Indy said:
Why are they re releasing the special edition set in Standard Format if everything is going BluRay now?

Because not so many people has Bluray player /you know, the US are not the only country in the world ;) /.

Salacious said:
I doubt this set will have anything new that is worthwhile. I'll wait the several years for the definitive bluray boxset...as I dont yet have a hidef player or tv set....that will also have to wait....a long time.

Yeah, but they must first remaster it to HD, not only by changing the resolution, but enchance the image quality... If they won't do this, there is no point of buying the first three films on Bluray.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
The goal for Paramount and Lucasfilm is one and only one: MONEY. They want to cash in as much money as they can on the Jones name. Personaly, I don't think the movies will ever be touched. Artistically, they are Spielberg's films and he has expressed no intention in tweaking them. So, the game will have to be played among the extras.

One thing that we all want to see is more Indy footage and they can offer it in the form of deleted scenes and making of documentries. Now, with the new film to be released the thurst for Indy stuff is bigger than ever. Bigger than it was in Raiders' days. Why not get some extra cash by releasing the films again and offer the "Original Award-winning Documentaries" with a preview of Crystal Skull? It will not be the first time in the industry. Any major franchise has seen it. In such case I will buy the films only because I want the making of's in a proffesionally enhanced quality than the VHS transfers I have made myself. So, I know I'm putting money on that and not the films, and the companies know it.

When Crystal Skull comes to home entertainment we'll get a double disc DVD fully packed as Episode III was and later on a package of all four films, perhaps each one with it's behind the scenes footage. Same happened to Spider-Man this year, a package of three double disc films. But this Indy quatrilogy boxset probably won't have the extras of the first DVD boxset which will make it rare and some fans who resisted it the first time may want to buy it after all.

A definite or ultimate Blu-Ray collection with the four films and all the extra footage previously released will, if ever, come in a five to ten years time upon "fan's demand". Hardcore fans have not that much patience and companies know it, too.:cool:

Playmount

-Jones- said:
Yeah, but they must first remaster it to HD, not only by changing the resolution, but enchance the image quality... If they won't do this, there is no point of buying the first three films on Bluray.

All three films have already been restored in (at least) 2k resolution by Lowry Digital Images (now DTS Digital Images) for the 2003 DVD release. They are just sitting there in HD waiting to be authored for Blu-ray (you can see glimpses of them in the new KOTCS trailer). I cannot imagine Paramount and Lucasfilm letting this opportunity of a new Indy movie coming out in theaters -- the first Indy movie in 19 years -- and not finally release these classic films in HD.

http://www.apple.com/ca/pro/film/lowry/

I have a pre-Lowry 1080i HD broadcast of "RAIDERS" on my PS3 and it looks great. I can only imagine how great the eventual Blu-ray will look. The only thing that bothers me about my HD copy (other than the few cuts and censored lines of dialogue) is that annoying blue emulsion scratch that is throughout the middle of the film... buy Lowry Digital removed it (almost completely) in 2003.

xVendetta17x

The original special edition was pretty good
But the absense of deleted scenes and commentaries were something that I was missing

Stoo

Playmount said:
I have a pre-Lowry 1080i HD broadcast of "RAIDERS" on my PS3 and it looks great. I can only imagine how great the eventual Blu-ray will look. The only thing that bothers me about my HD copy (other than the few cuts and censored lines of dialogue) is that annoying blue emulsion scratch that is throughout the middle of the film... buy Lowry Digital removed it (almost completely) in 2003.
WOW, Playmount, you are one lucky son-of-a-*#&! Welcome to The Raven!:hat:
Where and when was this broadcast? I have The Movie Network in HD but they
never show Indy.

xVendetta17x said:
The original special edition was pretty good
By "special edition" do you mean the DVD because the snake reflection was removed?

It's a good bet that this new release will include a sneak-peek of "Crystal Skull"
that will be *exclusive* to that boxed set.

Stoo

xVendetta17x said:
Some Exclusive Sneak Peek, since Kingdom comes out a week after it's released
By "exclusive", I meant not available anywhere else. Fish bait, y'know?;)

xVendetta17x

I guess
I'd get in anyway because it's Indy
I still think they should wait till KOTCS comes out on DVD
Instead of using it as a promotional tool

Major West

They've probably taken the bonus material from the 4th disc of the old boxset and split them up so each film becomes a two disc set. They'll probably have really cool cover art so that we collectors won't be able to resist buying them again.