Infernal Machine working on modern machines

IAdventurer01

For any of you stuck with a 64-bit OS and longing to play some Infernal Machine, you're in luck! I finally found a utility that lets you install the game so you can play it. (y)

http://www.markusegger.at/Software/Games/Default.aspx

After finding a 32-bit installer replacement for Grim Fandango a while back, I figured it had to be somewhere. While his solution does require a little finagling, I got it up and running and just gleefully completed Canyonlands.

If you need any help, post here and I'll see if I can offer assistance.

INCUBUSRATM

Hmm, I wonder if I can get my Infernal Machine copy working on my Macbook Pro on its 20GB Windows XP Bootcamp partition I made a while back...

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Are all levels and weapons working? It sometimes crashed with XP when you tried to use the SMG and other later weapons.

IAdventurer01

Well, I've just worked my way through Shambala, so I'm not sure if its 100%.

The only major glitch I've run into (that didn't already happen back when I was playing it in Win 98) is an inventory bug where sometimes after you pick an item up, you can't open your inventory. It's fixed with a reboot or if you pick up something new.

Suddenly, those hidden treasures can become invaluable. ;)

EDIT: Remembering there were cheats, I just had Guybrush Threepwood run around the island shooting various weapons like a madman without a hitch.

On another note, did you know that Guybrush shoots exploding rubber chickens out of the bazooka? I had no idea.

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
IAdventurer01 said:
On another note, did you know that Guybrush shoots exploding rubber chickens out of the bazooka? I had no idea.
Of course, and it also plays a theme from Curse of Monkey Island while the chicken is airborne.

I didn't get how you are supposed to burn the installation disc. Exactly which files/folders are you supposed to burn and what do you do when being asked for inserting disc2 during the installation? :confused:

IAdventurer01

Captain Defence said:
I didn't get how you are supposed to burn the installation disc. Exactly which files/folders are you supposed to burn and what do you do when being asked for inserting disc2 during the installation? :confused:

If you download the executable from the site, you run that and it creates a new installer file wherever you decided to install it to. You add THOSE files to the files of the original installation disk 1 and burn that to a new disk. When installing from the new disk, you open the disk and execute the new installer, not the old one.

Then you insert an unaltered disc 2 when it prompts you to.

IAdventurer01 said:
If you download the executable from the site, you run that and it creates a new installer file wherever you decided to install it to. You add THOSE files to the files of the original installation disk 1 and burn that to a new disk. When installing from the new disk, you open the disk and execute the new installer, not the old one.

Then you insert an unaltered disc 2 when it prompts you to.
Thx man! But Marcus mentioned that you should create a support folder and put the source installation files there. What does that mean?

IAdventurer01

Captain Defence said:
Thx man! But Marcus mentioned that you should create a support folder and put the source installation files there. What does that mean?

Honestly, heck if I know. I recall disregarding some of his directions and doing some trailblazing due to some initial hang-ups. :D

lornconner

Hoping somebody here can give me a hand,

I've been trying to get Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine running for quite some time, and no matter what method I'm using, nothing seems to work.

I've tried using Mark Useggers installation method posted earlier in this thread, as well as the Indiana Jones 5 installer that was produced by Penumbra (at indy.mamo-net.de) but I continually run into crashes either while trying to load the game or when trying to load the Canyonlands.

Based on other threads I've read, it sounds like there are issues with running the game in resolutions other than 1024 x 768, but I've also read that you need to run the game with the 3d sound checkbox enabled, and in True Color (32-bit) mode.

The problem I'm having is that the 3dsound checkbox is disabled, and saving the video options with True Color enabled doesn't "stick" - it switches right back to 16-bit mode after i've supposedly saved the settings.

This is drivine me nuts!

I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit edition) on an Alienware M14x-r2.

Video card is an Nvidia GeForce GT 650M, running 9.18.13.1422 drivers. (dated 03/14/13)

Sound card is a Sound Blaster Recon 3Di.

I've tried running both Jones3d.exe and and Indy3d.exe in various compatibility modes, and without. Most compatability modes crash frequently, most stable seems to be Windows XP SP3, with "Disable Visual Themes", "Disable desktop composition", "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings", and "run as administrator" selected.

Interestingly, after the installers didn't seem to correct my problems, I did find that downloading and installing the J3dUpdate1.2.exe DOES allow me to load the game every time without crashes, and succesfully enter the Canyonlands.

However, if I attempt to save or load any games (either from the launcher menu or within the game itself) I'll get an immediate crash.

The only exception seems to be Quicksave or Quickload - both of these seem to work.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

InexorableTash

Playing through this again (on my MacBook Air / Windows 7 via Bootcamp)

I love this game. I really do. I'd forgotten how much the little things in this game defined Indiana Jones for me, as odd as it sounds. Sure, some of the puzzles are convoluted, and the whip is a terrible weapon. (Actually, all the weapons are terrible - point-blank shoot outs?) The graphics are terribly dated by today's standards (but I've been gaming since the Apple II days).

But the settings! Indy in the desert! Indy in the Himalayas! Indy in the South Seas!

Commies - "I'm beginning to hate these guys." Whip swinging! Strange contraptions! Climbing, jumping, sliding.

*wallow*

My biggest issue is that, like most games of the era, you're expected to have to retry things multiple times, this save/restart over and over again. This takes you out of the "flow" of the game. Not as bad as earlier arcade games where you'd start from scratch, but definitely less continually engaging than modern games.

Arigato

Is it possible to make it work in windows 8?

Im having problems when I try to copy the CD2.Gob file from disc two

IAdventurer01

InexorableTash said:
My biggest issue is that, like most games of the era, you're expected to have to retry things multiple times, this save/restart over and over again. This takes you out of the "flow" of the game. Not as bad as earlier arcade games where you'd start from scratch, but definitely less continually engaging than modern games.

At least it doesn't take 10-15 minutes to reload a level like it did when I originally played it. It takes like ... 4 seconds for me now.

inlimbo

any advice for fixing stutter, out of order audio and crashes in win 7 x64?

i'm guessing stutter is the just the way it goes, which is fine if so, but browsing through a youtube walkthrough from late 2012 gives me hope the audio and crashing is mostly fixable. it's possible that walkthrough came from an xp install or a 32 bit win 7 install, though, which i'm guessing would be more stable.

i get awful jumbled and looping audio in a few levels, including tian shan river, palawan volcano and teotihuacan, and nub's tomb just plain won't start without crashing in the first few moments

edit: also have always been curios if there's a way to get rid of any weapon on indy's back without replacing it with the machete or another weapon, either by console command or some in-game method i'm not aware of

Last edited:

IAdventurer01

inlimbo said:
any advice for fixing stutter, out of order audio and crashes in win 7 x64?

i'm guessing stutter is the just the way it goes, which is fine if so, but browsing through a youtube walkthrough from late 2012 gives me hope the audio and crashing is mostly fixable. it's possible that walkthrough came from an xp install or a 32 bit win 7 install, though, which i'm guessing would be more stable

Happened to me once or twice, but popping into and out of the menu resolved it for me. Did you try that? Also, I've still got a Creative-branded soundcard in my computer, so that might help a bit too. That's pure conjecture at this point, though.

kohlmark

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine - 64Bit Installer

Hello!

Today i want to present you, if you not did already know it, an 64Bit Installer, to install and play the game "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine", on modern operating systems, like Windows 8.1 x64, and up to Windows 10 x64, "Technical-" and "January Preview".

The installer contains the official LucasArts patch 1.2, and additional modifications, by the user "Penumbra", from the german Indiana Jones forum.
It was developed by replaying.de

You can download it here (direct link):
http://www.replaying.de/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=80

The installer continues to be regularly updated, if there will be done new modifications in the future.
It is possible, that some anti virus software, will detect malware, but i promise, the files are absolutely clean!

P.S.:
If you want to play the game on 32bit operating sytems, download this files, to perform the bugfixes (direct link):
http://www.replaying.de/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=97

Indiana_Jones_5_Infernal_Machine_Cover_2012.jpg

I´m looking forward, to play this jewel of a game, as long, as it is technically possible somehow.

Kind Regards from Austria
Markus

Last edited:

IAdventurer01

Interesting. This looks to be a bit better maintained than the one I found back in 2011.

Do you know if this installer includes a fix for the missing function call crash at the beginning of Palawan Temple that affected Win 7/8/8.1 x64 ? I was never particularly happy with the fix I made for that bug.