Custom Made Last Crusade Biplane WIP (Hasbro Scale)

glorbes

Last Crusade Biplane WIP

I haven't made a large scale biplane before, and I felt that I really needed to try another approach to planning my next model. Previous efforts have begun with styrene, and I always run into problems that slow the process down. I decided that this time, I would do a mock-up version in cardboard to work out the kinks and be less wasteful with expensive styrene material. The main issue with this approach is that cardboard behaves very differently than styrene, but I really believe that making this first pass at the plane is going to save me some headaches down the road.

I started as I always do...figuring out how I'm going to make the basic shape. Since the biplane is curved, I needed to figure out how I was going to make the frame. This was the first step:

DSCF9355.jpg

The oval shapes are what will create the front-on profile of the plane, and the longer piece of cardboard is the basic side-on profile. The side profile as is will have to be reworked in styrene...one solid piece will not conform to the rounded shape of the plane.

Assembled:
DSCF9356.jpg

Curved surfaces need to be achieved by thin strips attached to a frame:
DSCF9357.jpg

Completed fuselage:
DSCF9360.jpg

The wings in this cardboard mock-up will be far less complex than in styrene. For one thing, I'll need to figure out a way to have the tear-drop shape of the wing's side profile (or I may not bother).

DSCF9361.jpg

Two wings with cardboard support struts:
DSCF9365.jpg

Here's the completed cardboard mock-up:
DSCF9370.jpg

DSCF9371.jpg

DSCF9372.jpg

DSCF9373.jpg

DSCF9375.jpg

This first pass is overscaled, and is not very pretty, but I found it to be a pretty fun and informative exercise. The best part is that it only took two hours...doing this in styrene will take weeks. But, this cardboard version helped me overcome some engineering problems and was great as a practice run.

Dr Bones

Looks like you are on to a good thing.

Have you considered balsa wood? It's light and very easy to work with, hobby stores sell it in all kinds of shapes you may need and it's a bit more sturdy.

Plus you can work 3D shapes from the wood better.

IMO that's the way I'd go for something where you can get as accurate/detailed as you like. It may be more expensive but it will last longer.

You can wing it ;) or refer to scratch model builders. Plane models shouldn't be too hard to reaearch.

Good luck and keep us posted.

edit....here's some links I found....you could even make it fly!

http://www.glue-it.com/aircraft/gallery/bmfa indoor crawley.html

http://www.glue-it.com/aircraft/gallery/oldwarden2.html

Last edited:

MrJinx

It is all about imagination and re-imaging. It does not matter if is was made from cardboard, plastic, wood. I think this is a great way to keep your imagination going. When we were kids we used whatever we had handy to re-create our favorite scenes form movies. I cant count the times that I had Boba Fett fall from wooden made skiff from the side of my bed in to a garbage can with tentacles taped around the edge of the can. Good job on the cardboard plane. I hope it serves the Jones well in many flights across you living room.
Jinx

Montana Smith

MrJinx said:
It is all about imagination and re-imaging. It does not matter if is was made from cardboard, plastic, wood. I think this is a great way to keep your imagination going. When we were kids we used whatever we had handy to re-create our favorite scenes form movies. I cant count the times that I had Boba Fett fall from wooden made skiff from the side of my bed in to a garbage can with tentacles taped around the edge of the can. Good job on the cardboard plane. I hope it serves the Jones well in many flights across you living room.
Jinx

I think this cardboard test piece is destined for much greater things, if glorbes' marvellous TLC tank is anything to go by:

DSCF9295.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the biplane project, glorbes. (y)

hemble

Hi All

Well even cardboard and tape this still looks awesome mate and I have no doubt that if you go thru building it like you have with the LC tank it will look brillant.

Ron

Last edited:

glorbes

BIPLANE UPDATE!!!

The cardboard plane was helpful in some ways, but the technique used for styrene (as well as the big difference in the materials) meant that I still had a lot of trial and error. I used the same basic principal as on the cardboard plane...the oval shape was crafted, over which I applied styrene strips to form the rounded contours.

DSCF9384.jpg

The front end of the plane was built up, but I frigged up the profile a bit so I may have to tweak it:

DSCF9388.jpg

The wings are tricky...not sure quite yet how I'm going to get the curved tear drop shape:

DSCF9397.jpg

Fuselage with elements of wing assembly:
DSCF9398.jpg

I constructed the wings separately, but the parts fit all together:

DSCF9400.jpg

DSCF9407.jpg

More to come! Feedback and crits are welcome.

Stoo

glorbes said:
Feedback and crits are welcome.
It's shaping up very well, Glorbes. A few comments, if I may:

-The nose needs to be a bit thinner but it's too late to change at this point. It still looks fine so no worries there.:cool:
-Looking forward to see how you construct the machine gun turret.
-The wing struts are off. If you can, replace the inner pairs with shorter ones that go directly into the upper fuselage. The bottoms of the outer pairs should be moved inwards about 25 degrees. (As I'm sure you know, all the struts could be cut thinner but that might make the whole wing assembly too fragile.)

Nonetheless, can't wait to see this thing fully painted. Without a doubt, it'll be another splendid addition to your custom creations! Inky Skin would be proud.:hat:

glorbes

Thanks for your comments, Stoo.

You're totally right about all of the items you pointed out. The main issue with the struts is that I needed to figure out a way to support the wings and have them maintain their rigidity, while also being able to be removed...I am trying to design this so that it can be disassembled and shipped. The funky shape of the struts that are against the plane's fuselage are my attempt to approximate the right look of the struts attaching to the plane. I'm hoping that I can figure out a way to make removable landing gear as well.

The one thing that really bugs me about this is the nose of the plane...purely because it was me not thinking through how to achieve the right profile. Oh well...I'll get it right next time :D

Thanks again for the comments everyone.

glorbes

Montana Smith said:
This is looking great, glorbes.

How will you cover the final surface?

Sorry, missed this one in my last reply.

Thus far, I have puttied and sanded multiple times, and it seems to be working out pretty well. The ridged texture has actually made for a very authentic look. Still a few kinks to work out in terms of detailing.

I have shortened the wings on each end, and I do believe that I will eventually permanently attach the wings to get the correct look of the struts attaching to the fuselage. Right now, the look of the thing just isn't working for me.

Montana Smith

glorbes said:
Sorry, missed this one in my last reply.

Thus far, I have puttied and sanded multiple times, and it seems to be working out pretty well. The ridged texture has actually made for a very authentic look. Still a few kinks to work out in terms of detailing.

I have shortened the wings on each end, and I do believe that I will eventually permanently attach the wings to get the correct look of the struts attaching to the fuselage. Right now, the look of the thing just isn't working for me.

Ah, I never thought of the putty option.

This is going to be another amazing scratch build!

:hat:

glorbes

BIPLANE UPDATE MARCH 8/11

This project crawls forth a bit. First off, a failed experiment that was my attempt at avoiding the dreaded bondo putty/sand and repeat...I tried wrapping the fuselage in vinyl. It looked like crap:

DSCF9410.jpg

After nearly ruining the model, I sheepishly began the puttying stage, followed by multiple sanding and putty recoats. I also trimmed back the wings on each tip by about an inch (they were looking way too long to me). After several cycles of puttying, I sprayed the fuselage with a coat of primer and did further puttying and sanding:

DSCF9413.jpg

DSCF9415.jpg

DSCF9416.jpg

I also added more depth and shape to the wings. I glued two strips of styrene to the wings, then layered styrene on top of these strips to create a wing profile.

DSCF9418.jpg

DSCF9419.jpg

DSCF9421.jpg

More puttying and sanding on the wings:

DSCF9430.jpg

I also added a piece of 020 styrene to the nose of the fuselage to create the look of the plane's smoother, metal-encased front end:

DSCF9432.jpg

A scale shot of the progress thus far:
DSCF9433.jpg

The support struts next to the fuselage will be removed and refitted so that they attach to the side of the cockpit like they should. I will also be making a revolving gun turret for Henry Sr. (already in the works). Lots more work to do...not quite sure yet how I'm going to execute the landing gear.

Comments and crits are welcome.

fenris

inky_skin said:
If there was a "Like" button on this page, I would've just clicked it. Outstanding work Glorbes.

Well... you can always "rate" the thread. There's a rating option at the bottom of the thread. (y)