Ep. 16: YIJ and the Phantom Train of Doom

Matinee Idyll

As well regarded as this episode is (even by 'true' Indy fans ;)) - it never quite gelled for me. Sure, the action is there, lots of explosions and shoot outs and things, but ultimately it felt quite hollow and empty - particularly when you compare it to the brilliant Oganga two parter.

The stereotypical Texan and Australian old folks kinda irked me, some of the action was ludicrous even by Indiana Jones standards - the lasso that miraculously didn't break, despite the fact it was pulling about 300 tonnes of train!

I like the second half with the German general more than the train section, I'll say that - some good character interplay.

Eh, not one of my favourites - but I can see the appeal.

3 out of 5 fedoras.

Flannery10

Really, I rather liked that episode, especially since it was the first Young Indy episode I ever watched. Since this was released on DVD and VHS uncut (or at least I hope it's like that), it had the real and not the fake re-edited look with it.

The brilliant cinematography, with the African vegetation and wildlife, caught my attention immediately and the action was brilliant, too. Ok, some of the characters were somewhat annoying, but this wasn't that bad. The second part was better than the first, no doubt, but I still think it was quiet good.
Von Lettow is a great character and even though he can be considered the villain of the episode he had some depth and he wasn't a really bad person, after all. This toilet paper thing was kinda stupid too but it made me smile (at least the first time when I watched it).

In the end, I would say it really isn't the best Young Indy episode, but still entertaining and interesting. I have to admit, I've never seen Oganga and I'm really looking forward to that film. I think I'll give the episode 4 out of 5 phantom trains.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
3 out of 5? Let me guess...this episode never had any George Hall, did it?

(I agree with you, incidentally, that Von Lettow was <I>very</I> well done, in my recollection.)

Flannery10

Right, it never did, which doesn't make it a bad episode, but it was actually the first one not to have any. Was this episode really never changed or are the 2 parts re-edited together for the VHS and DVD, because only the first part really is about the Phantom Train!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'd imagine they were used to the format more than anything else, of their plotlines being a particular length, and also that perhaps it was originally intended to be done as hour long episodes before being reconceived as a film.

And the bit about the absence of George Hall making it a bad episode wasn't a response to you, but rather to Matinee Idyll. I have no problems with you, Flannery10.

Matinee Idyll

Attila the Professor said:
I'd imagine they were used to the format more than anything else, of their plotlines being a particular length, and also that perhaps it was originally intended to be done as hour long episodes before being reconceived as a film.

And the bit about the absence of George Hall making it a bad episode wasn't a response to you, but rather to Matinee Idyll. I have no problems with you, Flannery10.

Heh, my apathy for the episode has nothing to do with George Hall - it's just alittle too silly in parts without being amusing.

Flannery10

Attila the Professor said:

No offense taken, and I really didn't think that reply was supposed to be for me. But anyway, since this was always without Geroge Hall, it doesn't have the fake re-edited look to it, which is why I think it's one of the better two-hour movies, that are released on DVD now.

About you Matinee, I agree some scenes were way to "funny" to make me laugh, but the action is still pretty good and I think a 3 is a little to low for Phantom Train, but hey I don't wanna change your opinion, just my point of view.

Stoo

My favourite scene in the entire series is when the German soldier
swings the grappling hook and jumps from the truck to the balloon.
Colonial Africa is another great passion of mine so, for me, this
is the absolute highpoint.

metalinvader

Flannery10 said:

He was part of Selous's army.He's the one who wore the flower in his hat and tight rope walks across the trains when they detach.He can also be seen in full clown makeup when Indy first stumbles onto the camp.Is kinda odd that they would have him in full clown getup on the back.

Sorry I can't provide a name for him..Anyone know it??

Stoo

It's Zoltan (or as "Big Mac" calls him, Zolie). When Selous is introducing his team
to Gen. Smuts, one of the things he says about Zoltan is "best clown in Europe".

If you watch the Selous documentary on the DVD, there is a small part that mentions
all those guys. Really interesting to learn that they weren't fictional characters.

Indy Smith

Adamwankenobi said:
Who also played the Selous role in "British East Africa, September 1909".

Desn't he remember Indy when he was a little boy when they meet again in Phantom Train of Doom?

metalinvader

Indy Smith said:
Desn't he remember Indy when he was a little boy when they meet again in Phantom Train of Doom?

Not untill Indy reminds him...It's been awhile since I've seen 'Phantom' doesn't he remember Henry Sr. as well?

Stoo,Care to answer this? :p

Stoo

Yeah, Selous is clueless (and rightly so) until Indy clarifies the when, the where and the who.

"Professor Jones' son? You were lost then, too, I recall."

Junior Jones

Yeah, Indy had to remind Picasso who he was, too. And I'm surprised he didn't re-introduce himself to President Wilson in Paris, too.

Adamwankenobi

I think he did the same with Howard Carter when he meets him again in "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye". It would have been funny if the third season would have been made, because maybe we would have seen the "Jerusalem, June 1909" episode where Indy meets Abner Ravenwood for the first time, and maybe an episode later on where he's in college and says something like "Mr. Ravenwood? Maybe you don't remember me. I'm Henry Jones, Jr. We met a little over ten years ago in Jerusalem when I was a kid."