The Raven

The Raven (http://raven.theraider.net/index.php)
-   Indiana Jones Trilogy (http://raven.theraider.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Raiders in Concert: Screenings with Live Orchestra (http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=23593)

Citizen_Kane 07-07-2015 12:02 PM

Raiders in Concert: Screenings with Live Orchestra
 
"In 2016, to celebrate the film's 35th anniversary, Raiders will be shown on the big screen at the [Royal Albert] Hall whilst a live orchestra simultaneously perform John Williams' legendary score."

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tick...e/default.aspx

Stoo 07-07-2015 01:24 PM

OH…MY…G_D! I must see this! What a special way to watch & hear the movie. Can't wait for them to announce the actual date/s!

Thanks for the heads-up, Citizen Kane!:hat:

Citizen_Kane 07-07-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoo
Can't wait for them to announce the actual date/s!


Hi Stoo. Shown on that page in a box on the right ("to buy tickets") is the date: 12/3/2016!!

Stoo 07-07-2015 07:14 PM

D'oh!:o Thanks again. It even has the date & times right on top, under the headline!:o

Most of the good seats are gone already. Drag! If anyone else is thinking of going, they should buy their tickets now or as soon as possible.

AndyLGR 07-08-2015 06:45 AM

That sounds like a great night!

Drones33 07-09-2015 02:43 PM

This'll be great.

doppelganger 09-20-2015 05:26 AM

fantastic...
 
Seriously thinking about it. Might have to drag my wife along dressed as cairo marion too.

Perhaps members going should sit in the same box all in Indy gear.

Stoo 09-29-2015 01:44 PM

Raiders: Live Concert & Film in Switzerland
 
Gerry2001 & myself were in Lucerne, Switzerland about 2 weeks ago and saw this poster along the lake:



Needless to say, we were surprised and freaked out a little bit.:)

As much as the lure of seeing "Raiders" at the Royal Albert Hall beckons me, this is an easier way to experience the same type of event (with a dinner included). It could also be a fun way to get together with other central European fans.

There will be 10 screenings. (One of them will be without a symphony.)

04 December 2015
06 December 2015
09 December 2015
10 December 2015
22 December 2015
27 December 2015 (2 shows - earlier show without symphony)
29 December 2015
31 December 2015
02 January 2016

http://indianas-symphony.ch/film-music.html

Grisu, will you be attending? It would a perfect place to meet up!:up:

Dana Scully 09-29-2015 05:33 PM

Oh, how I'd love to go to this. I doubt very much I'd be able to afford it though, all my spare cash is being siphoned into my 'Thailand fund' at the moment, heading there on holiday in November.

doppelganger 10-19-2015 01:00 PM

So is anyone from here going? I keep checking what seats available, even my wife is up for it. I dont know why I havent pulled the trigger yet. Would love to go all geared up but not sure what the security would think of it. Although plenty of people dress up for the last night of the proms. :D

Stoo 10-26-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doppelganger
So is anyone from here going?

Because of the Swiss run, I've decided not to do the Royal Albert Hall. Would've been great to meet some U.K. fans, though!:(

For the Lucerne performances, I'm planning on either December 4th or 6th. Grisu, will you be going?

Joosse 10-30-2015 01:24 PM

Does that mean you won't be going to Amsterdam, Stoo?

Stoo 11-07-2015 06:11 PM

It is strongly urged for anyone in the London area to attend the event!!! How monumental is it to see your favourite movie accompanied by a LIVE ORCHESTRA at the ROYAL ALBERT HALL???:confused: 'Twould be utterly pathetic if not one Ravenhead from England bothered to go. Buy your tickets now, mates!:gun::whip:

If anyone can't do London in March 2016 then come to Switzerland next month (this December). Not only will you experience the superb beauty of Lucerne but you'll also get a nice dinner before the film!

Joosse, my next Amsterdam trip doesn't look likely for December at this point.:(

Mickiana 11-08-2015 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoo
It is strongly urged for anyone in the London area to attend the event!!! How monumental is it to see your favourite movie accompanied by a LIVE ORCHESTRA at the ROYAL ALBERT HALL???:confused: 'Twould be utterly pathetic if not one Ravenhead from England bothered to go. Buy your tickets now, mates!:gun::whip:

If anyone can't do London in March 2016 then come to Switzerland next month (this December). Not only will you experience the superb beauty of Lucerne but you'll also get a nice dinner before the film!

Joosse, my next Amsterdam trip doesn't look likely for December at this point.:(


Sounds great, but Australia is a bit far. Would it come to us in the Down Under?

Stoo 12-07-2015 01:05 PM

Raiders: Film & Concert in Switzerland - Part 1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickiana
Sounds great, but Australia is a bit far. Would it come to us in the Down Under?

This is actually a Swiss production and they are taking it to the Royal Albert Hall in London*. The tour schedule in the concert's programme only goes until May 2016 so who knows if the show will go on the road after that?:confused:

*Therefore, this thread's title ought to be changed to something more generic like, "Raiders: Film in Concert" (or something similar). The 'world premiere' was 4 days ago in Lucerne and it'll be performed many more times in Lucerne than it will be in London.

----
Last night, I went with my girlfriend and, boy, what an unbelievable & unforgettable event it was!:up: 'Twas an amazing time and I'm still buzzing from the experience!

A unique thing in the film was Jock's line, "Come on, show a little backbone, will ya?". It was DIFFERENT. Will elaborate more later.

Took photos & a couple of videos so stayed tuned for a full review...


Indymag 12-07-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoo
Took photos & a couple of videos so stayed tuned for a full review...

...in issue 9 of Indymag!!

gregmparry 01-07-2016 12:20 PM

Raiders in Concert - in California Jan 15-17
 
Symphony Silicon Valley is going to be the first American Orchestra to perform the music live with Raiders playing on the big screen! Should be an incredible experience - I love John Williams' music!!! And to see Raiders with a live orchestra will be awesome!!

http://www.indianajones-ssv.org

Pale Horse 01-07-2016 01:01 PM

Strong first post, new member. As a local, I will certainly check this out.

Indycrusader 01-09-2016 11:03 PM

I want to attend this so badly. I was in Switzerland recently and saw the ads for it. Took a picture, actually:



But I didn't know it would be coming to the states! Sure hope it heads toward New Orleans. San Antonio is the closest I can find so far.

Stoo 02-02-2016 11:27 AM

2016 World Tour
 
It's goin' on the road, folks...

06 Feb - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
13 Feb - Paris
14 Feb - Paris
19 Feb - San Antonio, TX
20 Feb - San Antonio, TX
---
04 Mar - Boca Raton, FL
09 Mar - London
10 Mar - London
12 Mar - London (2 shows)
---
29 May - Krakow, POLAND
---
15 Jun - Perth, AUSTRALIA
16 Jun - Perth, AUSTRALIA
24 Jun - Nashville, TN
30 Jun - Chicago, IL
---
01 Jul - Chicago, IL
01 Jul - Houston, TX
02 Jul - Chicago, IL
02 Jul - Houston, TX
29 Jul - Sydney, AUSTRALIA
30 Jul - Sydney, AUSTRALIA
---
26 Aug - Lennox, MA
---
10 Nov - Kansas City, MO
12 Nov - Kansas City, MO

http://filmconcertslive.com/movies/r...-the-lost-ark/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indycrusader
I want to attend this so badly. I was in Switzerland recently and saw the ads for it. Took a picture, actually:

How recently were you in The Switz?:confused: Don't know if you realize it or not but you were standing right across the street from the venue for the event. (I can tell that your photo was taken in the Lucerne train station facing due east. A bit of the concert building can be seen between the 2 posters.)

Hopefully, you weren't there in December because it'd be a shame to have missed the opportunity, especially after being so close. It was, literally, a stone's throw away!

I posted the Lucerne dates in this thread:
Raiders in Concert: 21st Century Symphony Orchestra
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Horse
As a local, I will certainly check this out.

So...did you or any other California dudes attend this once-in-a-lifetime experience?:confused: 'Tis a must-see!:up:

Maybe merge the 2 threads, too?

Mickiana 02-04-2016 05:59 AM

Thanks a million, Stoo. I'm booked in and seeing it this Saturday night in Brisbane, Australia. :up: :whip:

Stoo 02-04-2016 07:29 AM

Fantastic, Mick!:up: I was really hoping you'd find out in time and am thrilled that something this special is finally going down under. You're the 1st person I thought of when seeing the Australian dates. Have a great time!:D

Be sure to pay attention during Jock's, "Come on, show a little backbone, will ya?", because it was different at my screening.

---
MODS: Could one of you be so kind as to merge this thread with the other one?
Raiders in Concert: 21st Century Symphony Orchestra

Mickiana 02-04-2016 04:39 PM

It was by chance I looked when I did. Great fortune! And it is playing in Perth and Sydney too. Im wondering why Melbourne didn't get it. Normally it is Brisbane that misses out. The last time I was in that auditorium was to hear a thousand voice choir. Now I will be hearing a whole movie's score by JW.

I will watch out for Jock's scene. Ta. :D

Mickiana 02-07-2016 04:18 AM

The Concert was excellent. The music was the centre of attention of course. I wish to describe my experiences in detail but I do not want to create any particular expectations amongst those yet to attend.

I think I will just say that watching the Queensland Symphony Orchestra play the score underneath the movie was very enjoyable and I was interested to see how certain technicalities worked out.

And Stoo, I think I know what you mean in the Jock scene. I think the same actually happened when Indy went to the bar at Belloq's behest and asked the first swarthy Arab if he was looking for him. Again, I won't say what it was now, unless you raise the actual issue of course.

Several people attended in Indyesque outfits, nothing too screen accurate. I could have done so myself but decided not to. As it was, I wore my Aldens and hitched my jeans up with my SA military belt. Dressed up and with my shaved head I would have looked like a cross between Indy and the big German mechanic (somewhat confused).

All in all well worth it. Just hearing any Indiana Jones music played live in whatever context will always be enjoyable, but when an excellent Symphony Orchestra is doing it who can say "No"?

ps The very large auditorium was fairly filled up too which was great to see. Plenty of support for this event!

Stoo 02-16-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickiana
The Concert was excellent. The music was the centre of attention of course.

Glad you had a wonderful night, Mick!:) Now you have me curious about the audio in the hookah bar scene with Belloq. Please, do tell what you noticed...

During my concert, the score was so perfectly executed that it was easy to forget the music was live onstage. It was THAT good! Occasionally, the orchestra was too loud and drowned out the dialogue (ex. "bulldozer to find a China cup" scene) or much too low (ex. the entire basket chase) but the volume never ruined the overall experience. It was immersive, to say the least.

Did you get anything special during your intermission? Just before Part 2 at my showing, we were given a medley of Indy tunes which included about 1 minute of "Scherzo for Motorcycle" from Indy 4. Being my favourite piece from that flick, I was pleasantly surprised.:up:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickiana
Dressed up and with my shaved head I would have looked like a cross between Indy and the big German mechanic (somewhat confused).

Ha!:) As far as I could tell, there were only 2 people "in costume" at my show. One guy sitting behind wore a fedora and I met a cute, Zurich girl in full regalia while having a smoke outside during intermission. She's an uber-fan so we shared e-mail addresses. Hopefully, Erika will eventually join The Raven.

Our concert in Lucerne was packed (except a few 'nose-bleed' seats). It was almost sold out.

---
Heads-up to Billy Ray and all other Texans:
2 shows in SAN ANTONIO this coming weekend! :whip:

Mickiana 02-17-2016 05:25 AM

Stoo, firstly, do you agree Jock's voice was dubbed in? It sure sounded like it to me. And the Arab who laughs in Indy's face in the hookah bar had his laugh dubbed in too by the sounds of it. And they played his laughing for longer like an echo dying/receding. I couldn't guess at why this happened.

I agree that at times the live score was beguilingly well done. At these times I had to remember there was an orchestra playing. At other times there were nuance differences, I think perhaps mainly in volume, that made the orchestra more apparent. I enjoyed watching the orchestra ready themselves for their next parts after resting in score-free sections. The Conductor looked quite dynamic and was enjoying the fun and drama of JW's music.

The sound effects were distinctly lowered in volume so as not to compete with the live performance. I found this amusing in a way, as I was surprised at how much impact that sound effects would normally have by virtue of their diminishment in this screening.

At the end of the first half, just prior to intermission, they played a lively piece but I was not able to identify it. Discussing the experience with a fellow and his wife in front of me during the intermission, he said he thought it was from LC.

I walked out with a nice old spell-bound feeling, as I am sure others did, judging by the humming of the main themes by other concert goers on the way back to their rides.

:up:

Stoo 04-25-2016 04:34 PM

Updated Tour List - More Shows!
 
29 May - Krakow, POLAND
---
03 Jun - Dublin, IRELAND
03 Jun - Boston, MA
04 Jun - Dublin, IRELAND
04 Jun - Boston, MA (2 shows)
15 Jun - Perth, AUSTRALIA
16 Jun - Perth, AUSTRALIA
19 Jun - Barcelona, SPAIN
20 Jun - Barcelona, SPAIN
24 Jun - Nashville, TN
30 Jun - Chicago, IL
---
01 Jul - Chicago, IL
01 Jul - Houston, TX
02 Jul - Chicago, IL
02 Jul - Houston, TX
09 Jul - Vienna, VA
29 Jul - Sydney, AUSTRALIA
30 Jul - Sydney, AUSTRALIA (2 shows)
---
13 Aug - Irvine, CA
19 Aug - San Diego, CA
26 Aug - Lennox, MA
---
03 Sep - Cuyahoga Falls, OH
04 Sep - Cuyahoga Falls, OH
---
28 Oct - Denver, CO
---
04 Nov - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
05 Nov - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA (2 shows)
05 Nov - Tulsa, OK
05 Nov - Vancouver, CANADA
06 Nov - Vancouver, CANADA
10 Nov - Kansas City, MO
12 Nov - Kansas City, MO
26 Nov - Omaha, NE
---
06 Jan - Rochester, NY
06 Jan - Red Bank, NJ
07 Jan - Newark, NJ
08 Jan - New Brunswick, NJ
---
29 Mar - Toronto, CANADA

http://filmconcertslive.com/movies/r...-the-lost-ark/

Violet 04-26-2016 06:42 AM

I know I'm a little late to this party but I went to the one in Brisbane back in Feb- whilst the Orchestra did a fantastic job the setup could have been better- the screen was way too small, the music volume was way too low and the cut of the film was slightly different- there were different words in place of others in some lines. Not sure if the cut I'm used to is due to regional versions but it was defs slightly different.

Also for the entr'acte (as in the start of Act 2) they played Adventures of Mutt much to my surprise and that was one of the highlights as I could hear it loud and clear. The second half was better and more audible. I was just a bit sad that the screen wasn't bigger as I still have yet to see Raiders or any of the original three on the big screen. I also would have appreciated some form of special effects on stage- the ark opening was rather anti climatic for what it was supposed to be- maybe a little theatrical fog would have helped. My 2 cents.

Mickiana 04-26-2016 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Violet
I know I'm a little late to this party but I went to the one in Brisbane back in Feb- whilst the Orchestra did a fantastic job the setup could have been better- the screen was way too small, the music volume was way too low and the cut of the film was slightly different- there were different words in place of others in some lines. Not sure if the cut I'm used to is due to regional versions but it was defs slightly different.

Also for the entr'acte (as in the start of Act 2) they played Adventures of Mutt much to my surprise and that was one of the highlights as I could hear it loud and clear. The second half was better and more audible. I was just a bit sad that the screen wasn't bigger as I still have yet to see Raiders or any of the original three on the big screen. I also would have appreciated some form of special effects on stage- the ark opening was rather anti climatic for what it was supposed to be- maybe a little theatrical fog would have helped. My 2 cents.


Hi Violet. Overall I do agree with you. I almost laughed out loud when I saw the size of the screen. But it would take a pretty large screen not to look small in that large venue. I have seen Raiders several times on the big screen since I first saw it back in 1981. One screening was at the Village Twin and the first few moments the movie was purple with wear lines streaking down. It must have been an old copy. It cleared up after a short while and was fine.

As for the recent Raiders In Concert, it was still worth it despite a few shortcomings. The live score was great to watch and listen to.

Stoo 04-28-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickiana
Stoo, firstly, do you agree Jock's voice was dubbed in? It sure sounded like it to me. And the Arab who laughs in Indy's face in the hookah bar had his laugh dubbed in too by the sounds of it. And they played his laughing for longer like an echo dying/receding. I couldn't guess at why this happened.

I'm pretty certain that it's an alternate take from the same dubbing/ADR session as heard in the normal, released version. When filming that scene, the plane's engine noise would've completely drowned out the voices (especially with open canopies) so they would have to be dubbed in, no matter what. Watch your DVD and you'll see that Jock & Indy's dialogue isn't 100% synchronized with the movement of their mouths.

Why the difference? The whole film appeared to be an old print because the colours looked faded and the blacks weren't 100% black. Therefore, this anomaly could very well be due to the 'concert version' being a pre-release cut.

Nice spot regarding the laughing Arab at the shisha bar. I didn't catch that and, according to Violet, there were some other differences, as well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Violet
...the cut of the film was slightly different- there were different words in place of others in some lines. Not sure if the cut I'm used to is due to regional versions but it was defs slightly different.

Do you remember what particular differences you noticed? I'm very curious to know and have been waiting to hear from other folks so thanks for chiming in.

Funny that you & Mickiana were at the same concert. You two might have been sitting right next to each other and not even known!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Violet
I know I'm a little late to this party...

Better late than never! At least you actually went. It's hard to believe that there were recent concerts in California & London (2 of the highest concentration areas of Indy fandom at The Raven) and NONE of our resident Ravenhead locals bothered to go?:confused: I'm bewildered, nay, flabbergasted by this fact. What the hell?!? :eek::down:

Pale Horse 04-28-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoo
It's hard to believe that there were recent concerts in California & London (2 of the highest concentration areas of Indy fandom at The Raven) and NONE of our resident Ravenhead locals bothered to go?:confused: I'm bewildered, nay, flabbergasted by this fact. What the hell?!? :eek::down:


CA is a big state, you know. I Can't just pop out of Greater Los Angeles to Silicon Valley for a concert one night. I mean, theRaven pays well and all, but not THAT well.

Even Mordy won't let me expense that trips. No matter how we fly:


Stoo 04-28-2016 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Horse
CA is a big state, you know. I Can't just pop out of Greater Los Angeles to Silicon Valley for a concert one night.

Excuses, excuses. Geographically, the Golden State is not that big and San Jose is about, what, a 3 hour drive from L.A.?:confused:

It played for 3 nights in San Jose. The week before (on 7th January 2016), you wrote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Horse
As a local, I will certainly check this out.

You "certainly" did not. Shame on you, Paley! :p :whip:

Pale Horse 04-28-2016 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoo
Excuses, excuses. Geographically, the Golden State is not that big and San Jose is about, what, a 3 hour drive from L.A.?:confused:

It played for 3 nights in San Jose. The week before (on 7th January 2016), you wrote:
You "certainly" did not. Shame on you, Paley! :p :whip:


3. Ha! You talk like a local. :D

Mickiana 04-28-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoo
I'm pretty certain that it's an alternate take from the same dubbing/ADR session as heard in the normal, released version. When filming that scene, the plane's engine noise would've completely drowned out the voices (especially with open canopies) so they would have to be dubbed in, no matter what. Watch your DVD and you'll see that Jock & Indy's dialogue isn't 100% synchronized with the movement of their mouths.

Why the difference? The whole film appeared to be an old print because the colours looked faded and the blacks weren't 100% black. Therefore, this anomaly could very well be due to the 'concert version' being a pre-release cut.

Nice spot regarding the laughing Arab at the shisha bar. I didn't catch that and, according to Violet, there were some other differences, as well.
Do you remember what particular differences you noticed? I'm very curious to know and have been waiting to hear from other folks so thanks for chiming in.

Funny that you & Mickiana were at the same concert. You two might have been sitting right next to each other and not even known!
Better late than never! At least you actually went. It's hard to believe that there were recent concerts in California & London (2 of the highest concentration areas of Indy fandom at The Raven) and NONE of our resident Ravenhead locals bothered to go?:confused: I'm bewildered, nay, flabbergasted by this fact. What the hell?!? :eek::down:


I do admire your forensic analysis, Stoo. Thank god someone does it.

As for recognising Violet in that large venue that was very well attended by the public, good luck to me. :p (Where is an emoticon with Indy's glasses?) But I did wear stronger glasses just for the performance. Violet, did you go in costume? I wore my jacket and Aldens, but thought the hat, whip and bag not really necessary. I saw that a few people of my vintage (later 40s) wore garb akin to the adventurer's outfit.

Violet 04-29-2016 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickiana
I do admire your forensic analysis, Stoo. Thank god someone does it.

As for recognising Violet in that large venue that was very well attended by the public, good luck to me. :p (Where is an emoticon with Indy's glasses?) But I did wear stronger glasses just for the performance. Violet, did you go in costume? I wore my jacket and Aldens, but thought the hat, whip and bag not really necessary. I saw that a few people of my vintage (later 40s) wore garb akin to the adventurer's outfit.


No I didn't - my Marion cosplay wasn't finished yet (wore that to Gold Coast Supanova with my Indy group which I showed off in my Marion Gear thread) however I was wearing my Headpiece to the Staff of Ra shirt I got from the Indy exhibition as well as wearing my Disney Mickey Indy pins. I saw a couple guys here and there with fedoras.

Stoo- As for the dialogue differences they weren't huge differences but just similar words in place of words I normally heard in the cuts I've seen (can't think of an example right now).

Stoo 06-20-2016 06:41 AM

Barcelona Screenings
 
Two days ago, I was walking down the Passeig de Grącia in Barcelona and stumbled upon a poster for the concert. Unfortunately, the 1st show was the day of my departure (yesterday) so I'm kicking myself for not realizing that I'd be in town at the same time. Could've stayed longer and filmed Jock's scene! AAARGH! What a missed opportunity!:mad:

The 2nd show is TONIGHT so, hopefully, folks from our Spanish contingent can manage to attend. ”Es muy bueno!:up:



Quote:

Originally Posted by Violet
Stoo- As for the dialogue differences they weren't huge differences but just similar words in place of words I normally heard in the cuts I've seen (can't think of an example right now).

Very curious...Too bad you can't remember any examples.:(

IAdventurer01 07-02-2016 11:39 PM

I was at the Chicago Symphony Raiders concert today and it was fantastic!

I think it was actually a lot more fun than when I saw Raiders in IMAX back at the 30th. At that showing, pretty much everyone in attendance was already pretty well versed in the film, but today's showing at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (CSO) I think had a fair number of casual fans and some who'd never seen it at all! As such, there was great audience reaction to the action and humor throughout.

The elderly couple behind me was a particular delight with gems including: "Oh! Haha! He just shot him!"; Gasps at the reveal that Marion is still alive; and "Whew, just a coat hanger!"

As for the actual show, I agree the picture and other sound could have been better. The action sequences, particularly those without orchestral backing such as the gunfight in the Raven were terribly muted, likely to help bring out the music in other parts. Indiana Jones fights just aren't the same without the full impact of Burtt's punches. The CSO sounded fantastic, though, and even without the shots of the Flying Wing's machine gun and and roar of truck motors, the orchestrated action scenes were crystal clear and had plenty of excitement that they made me as 'giddy as a school boy'.

I also agree there was something up with the scene with Jock. The pacing of the delivery of those lines seemed much slower than I'm used to, but haven't yet popped in my copy to verify. I even turned to the group I was with and gave them a puzzled expression about the lines, but they didn't think anything was wrong. Then again, I probably have a couple dozen more viewings under my belt than them. ;)

There was an intermission and I thought is was a very creative and smooth transitions for where they placed it. I won't spoil where it was, as the placement of the intermission provided a fun debate before the concert began. The overture to begin the second half was "Adventures of Mutt" for some odd reason, but it, too, was well performed and it's one of the best pieces from Crystal Skull, so I'm not complaining.

All-in-all, a great experience and I can't recommend it enough to anyone who's lucky enough for this concert to roll into their town.

Dr.Sartorius 07-03-2016 12:40 PM

For those who live in So Cal: https://www.pacificsymphony.org/tickets/concert/Raiders

jrohrba1 01-12-2017 08:08 PM

Hey everyone,

Though I saw the Raiders concert in Newark, New Jersey this past weekend (well worth the blizzard), I had to make an account here first before I could post.

The differences in the film at the concert and the actual finished film is what surprised me the most. Having seen Raiders an unhealthy amount of time since I was a kid, the differences really stuck out at me. I certainly really enjoyed it as I felt we got to see a version of Raiders no one will ever see again. I assumed this was perhaps the version of the film Spielberg gave to Williams as a base for his scoring.

- What I noticed first was the alternate take of Jock in the plane. Same lines, but different delivery.
- Many of the sound effects that I knew seemed missing. I did notice sound effects muffled or turned down throughout, but there were definitely some missing. For example no noise really when Indy put his Whisky bottle down on the table when talking to Marion.
- Right when Indy shoots at Toht and the others at the bar, Marion grabs Toht's fedora and says "my hat" or something to that effect it seemed. I never heard her say that before.
- No screaming from the Nepalese man on fire before being shot in the face
- Not certain, but I felt some of the Sallah takes talking about the dig at his home seemed different in a way too.
- No monkey noises when Monkey Man gestures to him to hide in the truck.
- The biggest surprise for me was that while under the truck, as Indy hooks his whip to something, he said a line which I had never heard before. He said something like "please god" or similar I believe. I didn't quite catch it unfortunately.

If I remember more, I'll add them here. Certainly an experience I'll remember forever. I always wanted to see this score played in person or play it myself, but I could never get my High School band director to go for it haha. Just seeing people play the Desert Chase was worth it to me. I highly recommend it if its playing near you

jrohrba1 01-12-2017 09:29 PM

Actually I do remember two more differences.

- When Indy shoots at the truck before it explodes, the Arab on the side lets out a scream. I dont think he does in the film.
- Also when Indy asked if a man wanted to see him while in the bar, the man lets out a different laugh than whats in the final film. Though I think someone mentioned this earlier.

IAdventurer01 01-19-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrohrba1
Just seeing people play the Desert Chase was worth it to me.


I kept needing to remind myself to look at the orchestra once in a while, but for the Desert Chase I was pretty captivated on the screen!

It was probably due to it being the beginning of the film, but personally I had the most fun watching the percussionists in the Peru opening. Lots of fun instrumentation there, and the clarity of it really made that opening come alive.

AndyLGR 01-20-2017 07:44 AM

What is the format of these shows? Is it the complete film being shown and the orchestra play along?

jrohrba1 01-21-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyLGR
What is the format of these shows? Is it the complete film being shown and the orchestra play along?


Yeah, they played the whole film, but took a break half way for an intermission.

Goonie 05-14-2017 09:15 PM

Raiders - Movie with Live Orchestra - Calgary
 
Treating myself to this next weekend:
http://calgaryphil.com/event/raiders...ra/2017-05-19/



Should be great.:up: Anyone else go to one of these screenings with a live orchestra?

Stoo 05-15-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goonie
Should be great.:up: Anyone else go to one of these screenings with a live orchestra?

Hey Goonie,

How's it goin', eh? :) The world premiere was in Switzerland in December 2015 and I went to one of the 1st shows. 'Twas an excellent experience. You're going to have a great time!

If you can, PLEASE film the part where Jock says, "Aw, come on. Show a little backbone, will ya?" and send it to me (or upload it) because it's different. Please, please please! :whip:

There's actually a thread about this already:
Raiders in Concert: 21st Century Symphony Orchestra

(Maybe the threads could be merged with the title changed to "Raiders in Concert - Movie with Live Orchestra" or something similar?)

Goonie 05-20-2017 01:06 AM

Had a blast tonight! And the Jubilee was sold-out. Another show tomorrow at 2pm if anyone is in town.



Stoo, unfortunately I didn't capture that bit, but I see what you mean. Jock's line delivery was slightly different.

TheFedora 05-24-2017 04:20 PM

Wow thats fantastic, I hope to get a chance to go see the concert one day.

micsteam 05-28-2017 03:47 PM

Does anybody know the remaining 2017 schedule for Raiders in Concert ?? All I've been able to come up with is the Hollywood Bowl 8/4 and 8/5. Thanks !

Attila the Professor 05-29-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micsteam
Does anybody know the remaining 2017 schedule for Raiders in Concert ?? All I've been able to come up with is the Hollywood Bowl 8/4 and 8/5. Thanks !


Not sure if there are any presentations of such under a different name, but here's a list.

Stoo 06-02-2017 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrohrba1
The differences in the film at the concert and the actual finished film is what surprised me the most.

Hi, jrohrba1. Welcome to The Raven! :hat:

Great first posts! Thanks for the list of differences that you spotted because you certainly noticed more than I or anyone else did. Good job! Interesting that you heard the extra dialogue when Indy is under the truck because it was also included on some American TV broadcasts in the '90s and early 2000s.

For more on that, see this thread:
Special Edition Truck Chase? starting at post #151.

Quote:

Originally Posted by micsteam
Does anybody know the remaining 2017 schedule for Raiders in Concert ?? All I've been able to come up with is the Hollywood Bowl 8/4 and 8/5. Thanks !

It played in Boca Raton in March 2016. Guess you missed it? Too bad because that's like, what, 45 minutes away from you by car. :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.