Anybody who still thinks Harrisons age is an issue...

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:
It all depends on what your take on Indy is, I think. The basket chase in ROTLA was memorable to say the least, and I can't think of anything in it that Ford couldn't do today. It doesn't have to be all insane and unbelievable stuff that even a 20 year-old wouldn't survive, you know. Ford can still run, shoot, and duck for cover, right? I mean nobody ever expected him to be Jackie Chan, Jean Claude Van Damme, or The Terminator. He's supposed to get hurt anyway, that's part of the fun, right? I can see it working. It's all about execution.

My take on Indiana Jones is that the character is a caucasian male, US nationality and is mid to late 30 years of age. Of course they can make a movie with him being a much older character... they can make a movie where he grows his hair long, gives up violence and calls himself Shirley... but I'm not sure that would match the general consensus of what 'Indiana Jones' is. It's not really about what Ford can and can't do as an actor; it's more about what audiences are willing to accept.. and what an ageing actor/character necessitates in terms of the script and tone. Any movie that takes an iconic character and doesn't conform to type (as far as the generic traits are concerned) can only really be viewed as a curio (even if done well). I'd be willing to bet my house that were never likely to get a trilogy of movies about an old James Bond, Batman or Tarzan... as the iconography of the characters depict them in very specific ways and at very specific ages.

If you were happy with KOTCS, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with any possible Indy V. My comments are only really directed to those who are expecting/hoping for a movie to compare with Raiders (and who were disappointed with KOTCS).

James said:
Oh, I didn't mean to suggest it made for better films- just that it has become such an accepted practice. So while, ideally, Indy 5 should probably happen sooner rather than later, Ford still has several years in which he can return without it raising any eyebrows.

I'm not sure the franchise aspect has more to do with it than nostalgia, though. The former was around long before the 1980s, whereas fans refusing to let go of their childhoods is a relatively new phenomenon.
It certainly seems that sequels and franchises are more popular than they've ever been. Harrison Ford having at least 3 franchises of his own (or being part of)... where I'd struggle to think of sequels/franchises that Newman, Redford, McQueen, James Stewart or Cary Grant where synonymous with (although I'm sure someone will provide a list ;)). That said, yes - I'd agree... unabashed nostalgia seems to be more popular than it's ever been.

Last edited:
Darth Vile said:
My take on Indiana Jones is that the character is a caucasian male, US nationality and is mid to late 30 years of age. Of course they can make a movie with him being a much older character... they can make a movie where he grows his hair long, gives up violence and calls himself Shirley... but I'm not sure that would match the general consensus of what 'Indiana Jones' is. It's not really about what Ford can and can't do as an actor; it's more about what audiences are willing to accept..

Well, I think that aliens, Area 51 and flying saucers didn't exactly match the "general consensus" of what an Indiana Jones film should be centered on... yet they filmed "Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull", no matter what.

Darth Vile

The Stranger said:
Well, I think that aliens, Area 51 and flying saucers didn't exactly match the "general consensus" of what an Indiana Jones film should be centered on... yet they filmed "Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull", no matter what.

Exactly... they won't let Ford's age stand in the way of making another one... but for those who didn't like the last one, prepare yourself for KOTCS Part II (if Indy V gets made). ;)

Darth Vile said:
Exactly... they won't let Ford's age stand in the way of making another one... but for those who didn't like the last one, prepare yourself for KOTCS Part II (if Indy V gets made). ;)

Would be bad... oh, so bad...

But for now, I can say that I have wiped out all of my expectations. I don't sincerely think they will ever make it. Time is running out too fast, and Lucas is working on everything but Indiana Jones 5. Fu##ing Star Wars.

Darth Vile

The Stranger said:
Would be bad... oh, so bad...

But for now, I can say that I have wiped out all of my expectations. I don't sincerely think they will ever make it. Time is running out too fast, and Lucas is working on everything but Indiana Jones 5. Fu##ing Star Wars.

That would be my advise... minimise expectations, minimise potential disappointment.

Also - As my preference would always be for Star Wars, your loss is my gain. ;)

Indy's brother

Replican't, you posted this pic in the Indy 5 rumors and possiblities thread yesterday:

harrison-ford-aarp.jpg

Despite the age joke or two about him gracing the cover of AARP, I think he looks great. I mean, in a totally hetero way, of course.....:eek:

Anyway, I've noticed something. And maybe it's just me. But I think he looks more like Indy when he's smiling. The IJ movies are the only ones Ford is in that I really smile with the guy, you know? Not that he doesn't have get terse to the point of laconic as Indy either, but I've only really seen him light up as Indy. I dunno. Maybe I'm off, or maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly.

Marcus: Does anyone understand a word I'm saying here?

moon_tan

Harrison Ford is in fine physical form.

Harrison Ford will be 70 on July 13, 2012.
I will watch every Indiana Jones movie they make. He said this month (June 2011) he is "still in the gym". That shows he is interested in making Indiana Jones 5 as soon as possible. He looks better than any senior I have ever seen. Calista Flockhart must be treating him well. It's a shame George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have waited so long to make more Indiana Jones movies.
If their plan is for Shia LaBeouf to eventually continue the "Indiana Jones" franchise, I hope they would release one every two years.
Another question is, "Will Indiana Jones / Mutt Williams-Jones continue without George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. They are getting up there in age too. I should add, Director David Lean did his last film at the age of 76. Director Manoel de Oliveira was 102 when he directed "The Strange Case of Angelica (2010).
I'm not being rude. Just concerned.
I hope their are many more Indiana Jones movies in the future.

Darth Vile

replican't said:
Check these pics out from award ceremony this week - he looks bloody awful. What the hell is going on with his hair???
Unflattering lighting is just highlighting, unfavouraly, his age. In good lighting I'm pretty sure he looks more like the Ford we know.

Hanselation

Time is still running...

At some pics he has the typic Harrison Ford mimic that still shows me the 'Indiana Jones" inside of him - but the haircut :eek:
Maybe Calista did it at home or Harry by himself ? Creepy shingled!
But I think it's okay that his hair is dyed. That would also better fit in a next Indiana Jones movie. So the story could play before KotCS.
And if so, they should act rapidly within the next months ....else his age will be is an issue

Henry W Jones

The sad truth is while I believe his age isn't an issue yet, it probably will be by the time George gets a story together and Steven sounds like his plate is full for awhile so my hopes of another Indy movie have pretty much disappeared.

Darth Vile said:
Unflattering lighting is just highlighting, unfavouraly, his age. In good lighting I'm pretty sure he looks more like the Ford we know.

He looks like a guy in his sixties. His skin is saggy, his jawline is drooping, his nose looks bigger as a result, his hair is thinning and white.

No offence to Harrison Ford at all - he is in good shape for a 70 year old - but one more Indiana Jones? No thanks, it'd be embarrassing.

Montana Smith

replican't said:
He looks like a guy in his sixties. His skin is saggy, his jawline is drooping, his nose looks bigger as a result, his hair is thinning and white.

No offence to Harrison Ford at all - he is in good shape for a 70 year old - but one more Indiana Jones? No thanks, it'd be embarrassing.

He's one step away from...

lara-croft-and-old-indiana-jones.jpg

...and two steps from...

Old Indy voluntarily visits a psychiatrist to prove he's still able to take care of himself (after getting himself stuck up a tree trying to rescue a cat).
(Vienna, November 1908 bookend)

That's a quite a few steps from...

302.jpg

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:

I think this image sums up my thoughts on an aged Indy. I can believe quite easily that a 30 something year old Indy is capable of hanging off a truck. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever believe a 60/70 year old Ford, playing an older Indy, is capable of the same feats. And if we were to have another movie where Indy can't do those things (or we can't believe he could do them)... then where's the fun in that?