Anyone been on or thought of going on their own Indy adventure?

Routledge

Anyone been on or thought of going on their own Indy adventure? I have been tempted to, but of course, that's what movie inspiration does to you.

Tennessee R

Well, I can't say that I'm doing anything more than bragging, when I post a message in this thread, but here goes:

In February of '03, I took a trip to the Middle East, where I helped with Sub-surface Interface Radar (A high-tech machine that allows examination of objects underground without digging or excavation. Waves are transmitted into the ground, and then bounce back, and are measured by a reciever, showing an image of what's underneath)

Sorry, gotta run. I will edit more in later.

Not that these are too exciting, but I explored the ruins of an old '20s mining town and surrounding cave area and I went up to Canada once to hike along the lake and see some ancient Native American rock carvings....

Love to go off searching for the Lost Ark, Atlantis, etc....

Tennessee R

Well, I can't say that I'm doing anything more than bragging, when I post a message in this thread, but here goes:

In February of '03, I took a trip to the Middle East, where I helped with Sub-surface Interface Radar (A high-tech machine that allows examination of objects underground without digging or excavation. Waves are transmitted into the ground, and then bounce back, and are measured by a reciever, showing an image of what's underneath) in Zedekiah's Cave, in Jerusalem. A vast linkage of caverns running underground, with unexplored man-made walls, and huge caverns, one, called 'Mason' Hall' where masons meet underground. And crevices barely large enough to squeeze through, on a horrible angle upwards. Slippery hard-packed mud slopes, barely climbable. Every boys dream.

Then, on to Greece where I visited the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, where the Pythia would babble insensible phrases, and countries were run based on those babblings. Also where one of the Indiana Jones books storyline originates.

Sorry, gotta run. I will edit more in later.

intergamer

I've thought about it a lot. I could have gone on an archaeological dig in Peru this winter or next summer but decided against it because I have a number of other things I need to do. I might be building a rope bridge with a prof and some people pretty soon. And I explore the corridors and roofs of my school sometimes. At the moment, though, I'm learning fencing and glassblowing.

Snakewhip_Sable

I've explored abandoned mines, modern ruins, and natural and artificial caves, and have had guys in black uniforms point loaded pistols at me while German Shepherds barked angrily behind them, does that count?

Johan

007...so you looked at our rock carvings eh?
I go there all the time have you seen the HUGE rock formations that they made to look like animals? Anyway...You must all remember most achaeology is done in the library doing research...and if that's the case I am always on an adventure

IndyJohan said:
007...so you looked at our rock carvings eh?
I go there all the time have you seen the HUGE rock formations that they made to look like animals?

That was quite a fun trip going up to Canada. Can't say that I've ever heard of the animal rock formations before though... Wish I had when I was up that way though. But there were some very lovely waterfalls not too far from the rock carvings that I stopped at though... Man, those were the days. Brings back some good memories..... now, where's my bottle of scotch?

The otherguy

My Adventure

I was with a tour group when I was 17 to Israel, Egypt and Greece. I was determined to go as Indiana Jones. My fedora and jacket were as close as I could get them. I enjoyed touring the ruins and seeing everything ancient. Then sacheing in the market places. I even bought a whip over there! I wish I could re-live that experience now.

dapthx

Well in 1979,I had decided to go to college and get a PhD in Archaeology,and then after a couple of years on debating with myself..Raiders came out,and I
thought...huh?..Tarantulas????No way!!..I mean Indy hates snakes...I hate spiders...and I mean when they listed arachnaphobia in the dictionary,I was the one they had in mind...LOL..But the love of ancient cultures,and that wave of anxiety that you feel when you happen upon a find...gave in.I mean it's not like I have to be in a cave in S.America..right?There is one type of adventure I'd love to go on....and that is searching for solid proof of the exsistence of the Old Hindu (Indian) Rope trick.It's said to really exsist,but no
one has ever seen it...and where on earth would it lead us...why none other than the mountains of Tibet!!;)Btw...I have drawn up a rough draft,and plot for a story...not sure if it will be my own Indy story,or that of an adventure of
a magician in search of...but I had copywritten the plot,and such,and would have to find a writer;)

DC

Stoo

007 said:
...and I went up to Canada once to hike along the lake and see some ancient Native American rock carvings....

Cool man. Where exactly was that? I had a chance to see something
similar at Red Rock Canyon outside of Las Vegas just a few months ago.

Stoo

dapthx said:
There is one type of adventure I'd love to go on....and that is searching for solid proof of the exsistence of the Old Hindu (Indian) Rope trick.It's said to really exsist,but no one has ever seen it...and where on earth would it lead us...why none other than the mountains of Tibet!!;)

The whole snake-charming/rope trick mystery is something I find extremely
fascinating. Maybe you could write a bit about it in another thread? :)
Good luck with your Indy story.

One of the more memorable things that I've done was to hike the volcano,
Stromboli, a tiny island north of Sicily. Arriving in a small boat, we started in
the day and ended up on the crater's top lip watching lava bursts by night.
Not to mention getting rained on by a gigantic cloud of black, volcanic ash.
Helmets - mandatory. I had the stuff in my pockets for weeks!
An amazing experience.

This is a great thread. Adventures big or small, let's hear 'em all...

Tenerife/Canary Islands/Spain but geographically you can find it in an island near Africa, i was born in one of them called Gran Canaria, they are all volcanic islands.

canarias.gif

roque-cinchado.jpg