Anybody who still thinks Harrisons age is an issue...

Indyisreal

I think some fans are going to have to accept the fact that a old Harrison Ford is not good for the franchise. Especially when you write a Disney`s version of Indiana Jones ala KOTCS. A 70 year old Indiana Jones doing that kind of a adventure is not realistic. After the last movie, I just don`t know If I can take a #5 movie seriously. Lucas has really hurt the brand IMO.

I think it is time for the Indiana Jones franchise to find a new actor (to play Indy) and a new writer/director. I would love to see what Christopher Nolan can do with this project. It would be way better than the abortion of KOTCS.

Darth Vile

Indyisreal said:
I think some fans are going to have to accept the fact that a old Harrison Ford is not good for the franchise. Especially when you write a Disney`s version of Indiana Jones ala KOTCS. A 70 year old Indiana Jones doing that kind of a adventure is not realistic. After the last movie, I just don`t know If I can take a #5 movie seriously. Lucas has really hurt the brand IMO.

I think it is time for the Indiana Jones franchise to find a new actor (to play Indy) and a new writer/director. I would love to see what Christopher Nolan can do with this project. It would be way better than the abortion of KOTCS.

The problem is that mostly everything good about Indiana Jones is as a direct result of Lucas/Spielberg and Ford. They can re-boot (and I'd be up for that), but lets face it, there isn't much depth to the character (as it stands). Nolan has a lot more depth to explore with Batman. That emotional depth/complexity would need to be re-invented for any future Indy movie. Not an impossible task... but I'd have to ask the question why would anyone want to?

Dr.Jonesy

Indyisreal said:

I've read about every post you've made recently. I find it hilarious that you must write an KOTCS insult every 1-2 sentences. You let that film get to you so much, I love it :hat:

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Out of the OT, what stunt wouldn't you buy with today's Ford? I can't think of any.

Being dragged behind the German truck would be a brutal thing to do to the older Harry today. It looked brutal enough for the younger version!

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Maybe, but would it be any more unbelievable? I don't think so.

No. Just brutal!

Harrison suffered on set during the making of the original movies, so I'd presume that his older self would be more susceptible to injury and general discomfort. The producers would be afraid of putting their star out of action, so much of the physical work would likely be handed to doubles, whether Harry wanted to do it himself or not.

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:
Out of the OT, what stunt wouldn't you buy with today's Ford? I can't think of any.

Unfortunately nearly every one... be it hanging behind the truck, jumping through/from the window of Club Obi-Wan, jumping from the horse to the tank etc. etc. It's certainly not as a result of Harrison Ford not being physically up for it (he clearly is), rather it's the disparity between his physical appearance as Indiana Jones and what we are willing to believe a 60/70 year old man is physically capable off. I thought Spielberg actually downplayed some of the stunts in KOTCS in order for it not to look too incongruous e.g. some of the jumping between vehicles (jungle chase).

Also to consider is that the character has largely been played as a romantic adventurer. Not sure the audience is ready to see a 60/70 year old romancer...

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
Unfortunately nearly every one... be it hanging behind the truck, jumping through/from the window of Club Obi-Wan, jumping from the horse to the tank etc. etc. It's certainly not as a result of Harrison Ford not being physically up for it (he clearly is), rather it's the disparity between his physical appearance as Indiana Jones and what we are willing to believe a 60/70 year old man is physically capable off. I thought Spielberg actually downplayed some of the stunts in KOTCS in order for it not to look too incongruous e.g. some of the jumping between vehicles (jungle chase).

Also to consider is that the character has largely been played as a romantic adventurer. Not sure the audience is ready to see a 60/70 year old romancer...

Since Harrison was about 8 years older than Indy in KOTCS, the age difference will become more marked as time progresses. If they freeze time (and not move on in real time as they did from TLC to KOTCS) it isn't going to work. And the further they advance time, the less relevant Indy's character becomes.

Harrison can still be convincing as the character, but it will be a film unlike his previous outings. It's doubtful whether the general audience will accept that. The action will be by proxy (a younger sidekick), and I don't want to see Indy emasculated even more than he was in KOTCS.

He could still play the tough guy, but not in the manner we've become accustomed to. Smoke and mirrors, a steely determined gaze, and an unwavering gun hand could win the day. However, since I can't see the creators risking that approach, I hope they don't try to make #5. It would be like making an action filled On Golden Pond, rather than a more convincing Hitchcock style mystery, which would suit Indy's age.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
Since Harrison was about 8 years older than Indy in KOTCS, the age difference will become more marked as time progresses. If they freeze time (and not move on in real time as they did from TLC to KOTCS) it isn't going to work. And the further they advance time, the less relevant Indy's character becomes.

Harrison can still be convincing as the character, but it will be a film unlike his previous outings. It's doubtful whether the general audience will accept that. The action will be by proxy (a younger sidekick), and I don't want to see Indy emasculated even more than he was in KOTCS.

He could still play the tough guy, but not in the manner we've become accustomed to. Smoke and mirrors, a steely determined gaze, and an unwavering gun hand could win the day. However, since I can't see the creators risking that approach, I hope they don't try to make #5. It would be like making an action filled On Golden Pond, rather than a more convincing Hitchcock style mystery, which would suit Indy's age.
Exactly... but even if they tried to make Indy V a slower, more thoughtful character piece, I'm not sure it would constitute being an 'Indiana Jones' movie. As I stated elsewhere, if Ford has got a showpiece last hurrah performance left in him (i.e. as a tough man coming to terms with his mortality), I hope for his sake he doesn't waste it on what would be just another Indy movie.

Hanselation

Related to the Topic:

...should think about: Is George fit enough to develop the story, the script and the project within the next handfull of years?

Till now it's not Harrison Fords or Steven Spielbergs age what is letting me assailt by doubts for the realization of Indiana Jones 5.

And what's with the age of John Williams? John Williams is another mainstay of Indy because of his unique storytelling by music. Born in *1932 and on the 8th feb he will be 79! years old.

Think about that!

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
Exactly... but even if they tried to make Indy V a slower, more thoughtful character piece, I'm not sure it would constitute being an 'Indiana Jones' movie. As I stated elsewhere, if Ford has got a showpiece last hurrah performance left in him (i.e. as a tough man coming to terms with his mortality), I hope for his sake he doesn't waste it on what would be just another Indy movie.

+

Hanselation said:
Related to the Topic:

...should think about: Is George fit enough to develop the story, the script and the project within the next handfull of years?

Till now it's not Harrison Fords or Steven Spielbergs age what is letting me assailt by doubts for the realization of Indiana Jones 5.

And what's with the age of John Williams? John Williams is another mainstay of Indy because of his unique storytelling by music. Born in *1932 and on the 8th feb he will be 79! years old.

Think about that!

=

a wistful Indy movie with overtones of No Country For Old Men. A powerful and gripping final chapter.

Unlikely to see the light of day, but probably the only serious way in which Harrison and the regular crew could pull it off.

One for the older fans, to whom the newer country of KOTCS is a little alien and brash in nature.

Montana Smith said:
+

=

a wistful Indy movie with overtones of No Country For Old Men. A powerful and gripping final chapter.

Unlikely to see the light of day, but probably the only serious way in which Harrison and the regular crew could pull it off.

One for the older fans, to whom the newer country of KOTCS is a little alien and brash in nature.

If Indy 5 gets made, it wont be to appease the older fans, it will be to please the multiplex fodder. Return of investment is king.

Expect to see a digitally enhanced Harrison Ford riding piggyback on the woman from Avatar into an epic battle against giant transforamble robots, all in lipsmacking 3D Pepsivision(tm).

Montana Smith

replican't said:
If Indy 5 gets made, it wont be to appease the older fans, it will be to please the multiplex fodder. Return of investment is king.

Expect to see a digitally enhanced Harrison Ford riding piggyback on the woman from Avatar into an epic battle against giant transforamble robots, all in lipsmacking 3D Pepsivision(tm).

That's why I vote we put Indy out of his msiery now, before he has to suffer further indignity.

It's the safest option, no matter how curious we might be how Indy 5 will look.

Montana Smith said:
That's why I vote we put Indy out of his msiery now, before he has to suffer further indignity.

It's the safest option, no matter how curious we might be how Indy 5 will look.

Sadly, we don't get a vote. And since Ford, Spielberg and Lucas all have retirement funds and families to look after, if the sums add up on the computer, it will happen. Unfortunately.

It's like Mick and Keith still making albums. The Rolling Stone and the boulder will keep trundling down that hill until life or profit runs out the way.