The Goon

Le Saboteur

Yes, this is in the right section.

The Goon is one of those comics I pick up on occasion opting instead for the collected editions. Set in an unspecified time period that looks oddly like the mix of the Roaring Twenties & Depression Era America, the titular Goon is a hulking bruiser who heads the criminal racket in his City (perpetually unnamed) and happens to be the only thing standing between the regular populace and a zombie horde.

Yep, zombies. There's also: vampires, ghosts n' ghouls, giant mutant apes, rival mobsters, interdimensional aliens, booze, mad scientists, roadsters, guns, comely maidens, massive squids, a "living" zombie.

b39.jpg

So who's the twerp? That's Franky, the Goon's one true friend and sidekick in their unrelenting war against the Zombie Priest. He's scrawny. He's motor mouthed, but highly resourceful. And if everything goes right he'll be voiced by Paul Giamatti in the feature-length film! No, not The Goon. He'll be voiced by Clancy Brown!

David Fincher & Blur Studios released a concept trailer back in 2010 @ the World Famous San Diego Comic-Con?. While gaining fan approval, the film has languished in development hell. No studio has been willing to green light a, well, non-family oriented animated feature. In order to "show more" Fincher & Co. have reached out to the suddenly ubiquitous Kickstarter audience to fund a feature-length story reel*.

A story reel is a fully voiced storyboard intended to convince the money men in Hollywood to part with their dubious rubles, because they love to make to movies and absolutely hate to read.

Dig on the proof of concept trailer!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zr_Ta6NS3-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interested? There's 18 more days to go (as of 10/23/12) in the Kickstarter campaign! They've just about reached the halfway point in their fundraising goal of $400,000, so there's a snowball's chance in hell that this gets done.

Kickstart this sucker! And do your part to help change how animation and sequential art is viewed in these United States!

If everything goes Tango Uniform then hopefully you'll use this opportunity to pick up a new comic. Silver lining and all that.

goon1.jpg

Le Saboteur

Update!

the%20goon%20710x-noscale.jpg

It's been a great couple of years for animation, but it finally looks like somebody in Hollywood is willing to take the plunge on an R-rated animated feature! Fingers crossed.

And all it took was the success of Deadpool.

Tim Miller said:
Eric (Powell) is amazing, we've known him for a long time now. I have known Mike Richardson at Dark Horse for a long time, and I tried to get the comic, so they said yes, and we developed it. Eric wrote the script, which is F***ing great. Which I think, normally with these things in Hollywood, the creators are often pushed aside. We didn't want to do that, we brought Eric right in. And Eric wrote the script, its great, it's just a hard one, because it's not Disney, it's not G rated. So it took a while. Then we pitched it, and we got a lot of nos, and then we did a Kickstarter, and we raised a lot of money to do it. We've done a story board animatic for the whole movie, and we used it to pitch it. We are going to have an announcement soon, I can't make it quite yet, but it will happen. We have never given up.

You can watch the full interview below. Or read the accompanying article here.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FrxUi19kGwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>