It's a Trailer Era

Joe Brody

For some years I've argued that the current state-of-art has made many trailers better than the actual film the trailers are made to support . . . and that's a good thing. But Captain America: The Winter Soldier takes it to the next level where the trailer is actually used to enhance the movie-goer's experience.

Using quick cuts, good music and discrete use of key scenes, compelling trailers have become commonplace. Some recent examples of trailers that are actually better than the film include:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WVLvMg62RPA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The initial teaser trailer for Fincher's Girl With a Dragon Tattoo. What made the trailer so great is that it showcased both the talent and highlights from the novel while creating an intriguing atmosphere to get audiences want to watch another re-make of a story many had just seen -- the original Swedish adaptation.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sN183rJltNM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think I'll get any argument that this Great Gatsby trailer is better than the film.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DZhM-AcCzNU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

. . . same for this trailer for On the Road.

Now initially the first trailer for Captain America: Winter Soldier. seems fairly convential and pre-release I had claimed that it actually revealed too much.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NLWsK1ZFunA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NLWsK1ZFunAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NLWsK1ZFunA

I won't give away too much except to say that this trailer actually uses irony and the unreliable narrator to great effect -- making for a richer viewing experience. When several of the actual scenes and/or dialouge used in the trailer plays in the film, it is in a different and unexpected context. I have seen this manipulation and twists in other films but never to my memory to this effect. It really added to my viewing expereince.

Is this work part of a greater concious marketing effort (started initially under Marvel and perfected) by Disney? I think so.

On the front end, are the trailers. We all know their purpose is to generate interest in the film but now they actually help develop trust and help to set up the audience for unexpected. If I see a trailer for a Transformers movie, I now what I'm going to get. Not so with a Marvel trailer.

On the back end, we all know about the trademark teasers embedded in the credits. It's been something to watch increasing number of people in the audiences of the phase 2 movies increase with each new installment. For the early films, it would be just a couple of dorks and the cleaning guy that would be in the theatre to watch the last teaser. Last night for Winter Soilder, I'd say just over half stayed all the way to end. That's something. And now Marvel is continuing engagement with the One-Shots. More continued engagement.

I only thing I can compare it to is visiting the Disney parks. From the time you get off the main highway in Disney World for example there is a sense of arrival. Simply getting into the park is a novel experience. On the way out there's the fireworks. Just great bookends . . . . and I hope they keep it coming.

Last edited:

Joe Brody

Thor Ragnarok becomes most watched trailer in 24 hour period using same Zeppelin tune as noted in Post #1 above. We do live in a Trailer Era.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Thor Ragnarok becomes most watched trailer in 24 hour period using same Zeppelin tune as noted in Post #1 above. We do live in a Trailer Era.

If they are getting the Led out - dont you mean "Trailer Park" era...