Deirdre Campbell

Doctorjones

Does anyone have a picture of Deidre Campbell (Indys wife from some of the books). Or has anyone know where to find one on the Internet. Thanks. :)

Webley

This is all I could find
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/bjoern.hellebrand/indy/images/buecher_englisch/seven_veils.jpg
seven_veils.jpg

Doctorjones

Hey thanks. Im suprised you could find even one picture of her on the Internet. I was looking for it alongtime. :whip:

IndyBuff

Web beat me to the punch but as far as I know that's the only drawing of her available. I'm surprised she didn't appear on the Dance of the Giants cover since they met in that book.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, I know it really sucks that there isn't many pics or mentions of her... I mean come on she was Mrs Jones!!! She was a pretty cool character. Though I think she wasn't really much of a firebrand, which is why I believe Marion should be Mrs Jones. Then again, Indy's mum (The other Mrs Jones that died tragically) was no firebrand either.

Indyologist

Violet Indy said:
Though I think she wasn't really much of a firebrand, which is why I believe Marion should be Mrs Jones.

Here, here! :D Marion would be a kick a-s wife for Indy, in spite of what others may think. The only other person who even came close to what I think what be a suitable mate for Indy was Elsa. However, she had book smarts, not street smarts. Since Marion had a Phd for a dad and knew how to take care of herself on her own, I think she more than qualifies. I think she and Indy would squabble at times (hey, what couple doesn't), but their arguements would always be over by the end of the day. They would make up in bed and have some real wall slammin'... well, you know...;)

In spite of any bickering, they would love each other deeply. That is, if Marion would learn to let go of feeling like she has to mistreat Indy to prove to herself that she's still loyal to her father. You really get the sense from the Marvel comics that she has some sort of guilt complex that way; that if she gave in and loved Indy she would be betraying her dad somehow. In one issue of the Marvel comics, Marcus comes right out and chides her for it to her face! I loved when Marcus told her off! She deserved that one. Or maybe she's afraid she'll get hurt again. Anyways, Indy would do something really great for her, but she'd smart mouth him in return. I thought she was terrible to him in the comics. Still, I think it would end up that she would eventually turn around. I would work it out that something really bad would happen to Marion and Indy would step in and be his usual heroic self, being there to support her, possibly after they briefly broke up. Marion would have something bad happen to her and, in spite of his anger, Indy would hear of her misfortune and suddenly, there's good old Indy to stand by her.

I think a "good" bad thing that could happen to Marion is that she would get some kind of telegram saying that someone found her father's remains in Nepal. That would really shake her up. She'd tell Marcus about it and, of course, Marcus would tell Indy. The day Abner's remains are flown in she's standing on the tarmac, thinking about how she lost her father years ago and now how she's lost Indy-- possibly forever. An agent from the plane speaks to her about the arrangements, he leaves, Marion turns around and there's Indy, standing at the gate a couple hundred feet away-- just looking at her, feeling the pain he sees in her eyes. After that, Marion's eyes would finally be opened and she would see Indy for who he is-- a guy who loves her. Gosh, he even told her he loved her in the Marvel comics! How dense can the dame be?! Then, I think she would finally come around and totally love him. The burial of her dad would be the birth of a new life with Indy.

Sorry for the mushiness, guys. I have to admit I dream about Indy and Marion being together in IJ#4. :) :rolleyes:

Canyon

Indyologist, I love your story idea. :D

I too think that Marion is a pretty good match for Indy, and like yourself, I feel that Indy deserves to be happy.

Don't worry about the mushyness. It made a great read. ;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I agree. That was an awesome post, Indyologist:whip: . I LOVED IT!!! :whip: :whip: Lucas should hire you to write Indy IV :D . I didn't know anything about the Marvel comics stuff. Well you do learn something new everyday after all. ;)

indyt

This is embarrasing but I did not know Indy had a wife. :( What does the comics/books say about her? And how did Indys mom die? :confused: thanks guys

Feanor

A few days ago i've read Dance of the Giants (guess thats the english title) again.

And i love her character and the idea that Indy loved her and wanted to marry her (it seems he was not the only one who fell in love with her right away).

So the end of the story where it said "something had changed between them and it seemed they were different persons now".

I hated that end although it wouldn't have been very indy like to marry, because it certainly had restrained his life as an adventurer (it's not very husband like to bring your wife into dangerous situations over and over).

But i liked the idea and was disappointed with the end.

In hoped that there are other books she might appear in i searched around.
And i found out that he was married (i guess to her). Probably only in the books of McGregor, but he wrote a couple of books about Indy.

I also heard she gets killed in one book, which i probably don't want to read (unless it's the only book she appears in besides "...Giants").
I already hate myself for knowing she gets murdered.

So here is my question. Are there any books besides "dance of the giants" she appears in, and what are the titles?

I'd gladly appreciate any help.
If someone knows the answers please email them to Feanor@webchiller.de (or just write them here).

Thx in advance

IndyBuff

Welcome to The Raven Feanor!:whip:

The only other novel that Deidre appears in is Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils, which takes place right after Dance of the Giants. I don't want to spoil too much for you but they do get married in that book. You should definately check it out, as well as the rest of the series. She only appears in two books but Indy thinks about her and mourns her in some of the other books.

Also, she doesn't really get "murdered" but I'll let you discover the ending for yourself.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Depends on your point of view on her death, Indybuff. It could be read as a murder.

IndyBuff

Violet Indy said:
Depends on your point of view on her death, Indybuff. It could be read as a murder.

That's true. The more I think about it, the more I do consider it murder. Its been a year since I re-read the book so I must have missed something when I was thinking about it. A quick reminder of the ending now makes me think the opposite. Thanks for pointing out that mistake.:)

IndyBuff

Violet Indy said:
Well, seeing it as a murder makes Indy's "amnesia" in Genesis Deluge more logical.

Interesting view. I hadn't thought of it that way before but it definately could work. I need to go read those chapters again.

Then again, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the ending to The Seven Veils.;)

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
Rob MacGregor offers the following

Hi gang,

Saw the interesteing discussion about Deirdre Campbell and thought I'd ask the author of the books in question, Rob MacGregor, about her. Here is what he had to share:

Hi Shipwreck,

Yes, readers of my Indy novels typically are surprised to learn that Indy was briefly married. Of course, that's because there's no reference to any such past events in the movies.

So here's the behind-the-scenes story about Deirdre Campbell, who appeared in Dance of the Giants and Seven Veils. Initially, my interest was to delve into the back story of Marion Ravenwood, who of course was featured in Raiders. Since my stories were all prequels to the movies, it seemed like a good idea.

However, George Lucas preferred that I use my own secondary characters and stay away the ones in the movies. That was especially true regarding Marion Ravenwood. The reasoning was that there should be no conflict in story lines in the event that Marion re-appeared in a movie set at an earlier time.

After that understanding was reached, I looked elsewhere for romance for Indy. After all, we can easily assume that Indy had other lovers, especially in his younger years. Hence, the appearance of Deirdre Campbell, and the heartbreaking saga that followed.. That's how it came about.

Readers of my Indy tales might be interested in my upcoming novel, Romancing the Raven. It's a time travel story takiing place in present day New York City and New York of the 1830s. There's no Indiana Jones in the tale, but there is another well known, mysterious character named Edgar Allan Poe. The novel will be out in December and can be ordered early on Amazon.com.

Rob MacGregor
www.robmacgregor.net

Joe Brody

Shipwreck said:
Hi gang,

Saw the interesteing discussion about Deirdre Campbell and thought I'd ask the author of the books in question, Rob MacGregor, about her. Here is what he had to share:

[. . . .]Readers of my Indy tales might be interested in my upcoming novel, Romancing the Raven. It's a time travel story takiing place in present day New York City and New York of the 1830s. There's no Indiana Jones in the tale, but there is another well known, mysterious character named Edgar Allan Poe. The novel will be out in December and can be ordered early on Amazon.com.

Interesting stuff -- but as for the Poe story, nothing sucks more in this life than being late-to-market.

Feanor

Thank you all very much you guys (and gals ;) )

I'll go out an buy the sequel of Deidre asap, if it was published in Germany. If not I'll definitely get the english version.

I'm glad that there is at least one other book she appears in.
Sometimes you read a book and get attached to it.

The last time it happened to me was after reading "Savage" by Richard Laymon. A great book and adventure.

After i finished it i searched all over the internet. Hoping there'd be another adventure of Trevor W. Bentley.
Of course in that case there couldn't have been one. Still, i was disappointed when i didn't find anything.

I felt the exact same way after reading "Dance of the Giants", and although i had little hope i searched for a sequel
And you guys helped me find it.

That's great. I'm jumping around out of joy and excitement (not easy to type, I tell you *gg*)
I can't wait to read it.

After that i get all the other books.
McGregor,McCoy,hohlbein etc wrote a lot of them. But i figure they all have at least one thing going for them....Indy :whip: