Special Edition Truck Chase?

Tsar

Well, I've been watching RotlA on USA, and I noticed something.

Is it just me or.........

It looks like the original shot of the troops car diving off the side of the cliff with the matte painting background has been replaced with a Lucas special edition CG version!

I'm sorry if this is old news, but it's new to me. And I really hope I was hallucinating.. :dead:

Snakes

I noticed this too! I'm not sure since I haven't seen Raiders in a real long time, but it seemed different to me. I didn't think it was a bad thing though, it just looked sharper and less fake.

Travis85

I think it is a good idea. I have no problem with them using digital effects to touch up scenes that need it, such as the horrible green screening during the bridge scene in Temple of Doom :) They already used it to edit out the glare on the glass used to separate Ford from the snake in Raiders on the DVD. Unfortunately, Spielberg probably won't be able to make any cosmetic changes without backlash for no good reason :p I think fixing things like that put the CG effects to good use and allow the movies to be preserved longer. The only problem Iv'e ever had with effects in the Indy movies is when they use green screening, it always looked pretty bad :p Other than that, the effects all hold up pretty well :).

Tsar

IMO, the troop car sequence was fine the way it was. The CG version now looks so out of place with the rest of the film. But hey, it's only a 3 second shot, it could've been worse (1997 Star Wars SE); as long as I have the original version on DVD, I'm alright.

Travis85

The problem is that Star Wars fans got upset (for good reason) at some of the changes made to Star Wars, and now there is kind of a knee jerk reaction go any cosmetic CG changes to movies :p. If they started adding in Rancors in well of souls, i'd be upset :) But fixing up background shots isn't something that would bother me.

eroc

Travis85 said:
The problem is that Star Wars fans got upset (for good reason) at some of the changes made to Star Wars, and now there is kind of a knee jerk reaction go any cosmetic CG changes to movies :p. If they started adding in Rancors in well of souls, i'd be upset :) But fixing up background shots isn't something that would bother me.

Yes!!! I just finished watching Raiders and thought that "nazis driving off a cliff" scene looked sharper, less fake*, than it has ever looked before. At first, I thought it was my hi-def TV and the uber-sweet letter box broadcast of the film...but I dunno.

Snakes said:
...it just looked sharper and less fake.

Tsar said:
IMO, the troop car sequence was fine the way it was. The CG version now looks so out of place with the rest of the film. But hey, it's only a 3 second shot, it could've been worse (1997 Star Wars SE); as long as I have the original version on DVD, I'm alright.

"...are you crazy?" It looks so much better now. Hopefully they fixed the other "action-figure" cliff scene in Crusade

Last edited:

Burke

I noticed that, but I think they lingered a little longer on it than necessary, just to make a point so you'll notice it's different.

Travis85

I hope they fix the tank falling scene from Crusade as mentioned above and the green screen effects in Temple of Doom during the bridge scene :p

Tsar

eroc said:
"...are you crazy?" It looks so much better now. Hopefully they fixed the other "action-figure" cliff scene in Crusade

*sigh* That's the problem. It now looks so much better, that now it sticks out from the rest of the movie. You have 1981 filmmaking all of a sudden cut to 2008 CG special effects, then back again to 1981.

The original sequence was fine the way it was. Even though this one does look 'better', it still looks fake, just 3D fake instead of matte painting fake.

eroc

really? i need to watch it again. in the 3 seconds my mind saw it, i thought it looked right at home with the rest of the film. Did it look that much different as when the ark shot up into the sky and "phoned home?"

Michael24

You would think that the movies being "fixed up" via CGI is something that would be known by know with the new DVDs coming out. I can't imagine it's something Lucas would do on his own without consulting Spielberg first, and even the first time around Spielberg only approved the erasure of the cobra's reflection and the boulder guide rail in Raiders. Perhaps USA is just now using the same remastered version from the DVD, hence why it appears so much sharper?

Snakes

I don't really think it looked like 2008 effects, just better '80s effects. More like a miniature than a matte.

Michael24

I just saw that Raiders was on and decided to watch it. (Like I really needed a reason to. :D ) Anyway, it does indeed look like the shot has been CGIed, at least the environment itself. I think the camera move is slightly different, too, because the shot did actually stand out to me as something new.

Interesting.....

eroc

Snakes said:
I don't really think it looked like 2008 effects, just better '80s effects. More like a miniature than a matte.

exxxactly.

Agent Spalko said:
Goddamn Lucas! We need to stop him now before he ruins something else!

Let's have this conversation about George's vision in, ohhhh, about two weeks.

I think this may be what Yoda was talking about. Hope and redemption; and having a back-up plan.

Last edited: