Winds of Change

Demitasse

Couldn't find a thread for this episode, so I thought I'd start one.

Re: Lawrence's quote:

We gave the old men victory and they threw it away. We offered them a new world and they made the old one over again. Still it might have been worse.

Anyone know if he actually said this anywhere? I know some of you guys own copies of Seven Pillars... ;)

Stoo

Hello, my friend, Demitasse. Two years late to write a reply is better than never, eh?:)

There actually is another thread about the Princeton portion of "Winds" but, naturally, the Paris portion was also discussed:

Amazed at the 2nd Half of The Winds of Change (I wonder if The Mods could merge your thread with that one, whilst keeping your title?)

There's also this one about Toynbee's dialogue: Remember the (alleged) quote of Arnold Toynbee in the 1919 Paris episode?

---
Regarding that line from Lawrence: Having never read my 1st edition printing of, "Seven Pillars", I don't know if those words are in there. However, good ol' Jeremiah Jones (wherever he may roam) has read the book and seems to think that it is, indeed, a direct quote from Lawrence...from somwhere. (http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=399816&postcount=8)

---
The real reason for bumping this topic is because of Le Saboteur's news here at The Raven that a film is being made about Gertrude Bell. (See Le Sab's thread here: Queen of the Desert). Being one of my least-watched episodes, the announcement inspired me to see, "Paris 1919", again and I was impressed at how the costume department did a such a fine match for Gertrude Bell's outfits. The actress was a bit too old but check out the comparison with photos of her from 1921:

GertrudeBell_Comparison_zps93abf623.jpg

Now, I've mentioned it before but I strongly urge people to seek out & watch, "A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia", from 1992. It's all about T.E. at the Treaty of Versailles and is extremely well-acted & directed. Gertrude Bell is in it, as well as Meinertzhagen. The beginning of the Young Indy episode is strikingly similar to this one and...to top it all off, BELLOQ is in it!:)

Demitasse

Thanks Stoo! I've been waiting for the GB biopic too. I hope they are a little more even-handed in their portrayal, but how can it be with a title like "Queen of the Desert"? LOL.

A Dangerous Man is indeed a fine film and Ralph Fiennes is, IMHO, the best of the three actors (I know of) to take on Lawrence (apologies to Peter O'Toole). There's a great darkness and tone to that film.

On an unrelated note, made my first trip to Montreal last weekend. Hell of a town you got there! :whip: Nice change from Toronto. :hat: