20 Questions

20 Questions is a game where a person: "A" thinks of a person, place, or thing, (in this case an Indiana Jones person, place or thing): "IT", and others: "Q" ask questions that can be answered by a yes or a no until they guess/discover the answer, (20 Questions is the name of the game, and not a limit).

Part of the fun is in trying to guess what "IT" is in as few questions as possible, and part of the fun is that this game inherently lends itself to being silly.

There are only two fundamental rules, one for "Q" and one for "A".

Rule 1: "Q" may only ask questions that can be answered with a yes or a no.

Rule 2: "A" may only respond with a yes or a no, whichever is more helpful to "A".

Ideally, these two basic rules will sustain a complete and competitive game of 20 Questions, but the ideal is rarely achieved, especially when some of the players are novices. There is a learning curve (albeit a quick and easy one) to jump on and ride, and there are exceptional situations that, once recognized and categorized, can be responded to by convention.

Rule 2 is impossible to follow all the time. This exception is an acceptable answer that "A" (and "Q") should keep in mind:

"I DON'T KNOW." Sometimes "A" simply will not know the answer. In such cases "A" may respond with "I don't know." An example: consider that "A" has chosen Marshall College as "IT" and "Q" asks, "Is it closer to New Jersey or New York?"
If "A" doesn't know then he should not merely guess, because "Q" might know, and if "A" guesses wrong he will certainly mislead "Q", which is a more serious violation of Rule 2. So, A should say he doesn't know and let "Q" take it from there.

The format to answer should become apparent, for the winner who will, if they wish become "A". When a new player becomes "A" they must PM me the new "IT" for (hopefully) obvious reasons. Please PM me if you have questions reagring the rules so the game thread remains as clean as possible.

Shall we play a game?

Last edited:

XanaduEli

oh cool! we played this in physics mathematics today, with a different theme of course. :D

have we started playing?.well here's a question anyway:

is it a character? :confused:

Pale Horse

Staff member
At the risk of derailing this thread before it starts, it's counter productive to ask a question, and then answer it. LOL.

That's called rhetoric. (and I guess by all accounts in D.C. it would be a game too).

XanaduMel said:
is it a character? :confused:
No

Pale Horse said:
At the risk of derailing this thread before it starts...
screaming.jpg

Goodeknight

Well, while it doesn't follow the rules as they were initially presented here, 20 Questions typically starts with the Q:

Is it a person, place, or thing?

RS has already noted that "IT" is not a location, artifact, or character. He's obviously dropping a hint there.

goodeknight said:
Well, while it doesn't follow the rules as they were initially presented here, 20 Questions typically starts with the Q: Is it a person, place, or thing?
Really?

When does someone declare they are thinking of said person place or thing? AFTER someone asks the "typical" question?:rolleyes:

XanaduMel said:
can it be used to help find an artifact?
No, "IT" cannot.

Last edited:

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
Really?
When does someone declare they are thinking of said person place or thing? AFTER someone asks the "typical" question?:rolleyes:

Well, the "typical" start of the game is usually
Q: "Is it a person, place or thing?"
A: "It's a thing." (or a person, or a place)

It's kind of the modern variant of the older "typical" start:
Q: "Is it animal, vegetable, or mineral?"

Follow me?

Geez, just trying to play along.
I would have thought you'd leave your "typical" bilious attitude at the door when entering the game room.

Fun game!
Cheers! :hat:

goodeknight said:
Well, the "typical" start of the game is usually
Q: "Is it a person, place or thing?"
A: "It's a thing." (or a person, or a place)

It's kind of the modern variant of the older "typical" start:
Q: "Is it animal, vegetable, or mineral?"

Follow me?

Geez, just trying to play along.
I would have thought you'd leave your "typical" bilious attitude at the door when entering the game room.

Fun game!
Cheers! :hat:
Guess what? This is being conducted on a message board so it's NOT typical.
Why bother repeating yourself? I read you right the first time, you're not adding ANYTHING, (in anyway).
Follow me?

If you're playing along, drop the martyr crap and play, (and don't gum up the works with your self indulgence).
Geez, just play then will ya?

It's not like you've even tried to ask a question...

Regarding my bile: if you simply asked a pertinent question and let your oh so important observation go, we would be well on the way to the entertaining part of the Q and A process instead of discussing your clever and necessary insights into the game and it's structure.

Fun? Not with your input it isn't...

Jeers!:rolleyes: