Mystery Of The Blues

Matinee Idyll

Thought I may aswell bring these threads back...

mo_33_tn.jpg

Two of the best episodes in the series, and one of the best 'two parters' in the shows history.

Great cameos from historical figures, the interplay between Hemmingway, Ness and Indy is quite amusing and fantastic.

yij06b.jpg

The music is wonderful (I was actually learning to play saxophone when I first saw the episode, so it was quite a treat!), the filmic references (De Palmas 'The Untouchables' being an obvious one) are great...

Many of the issues it raises, Racism for example, are rather deftly handled - didacticism and heavy handedness are kept to a minimum.

Great to see Harrison, though the final bookend is alittle bit too clunky (the 'avalanche'? * cringe *).

yij05q.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode, please!

...Is this the only episode that has remained untouched by George since it first aired?

200px-Mo_37.jpeg

Last edited:

Flannery10

Great idea to continue. They made a couple of 2 hour Tv events without Old Indy, so those weren't changed by George Lucas. Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, Phantom Train of Doom and Attack of the Hawkmen are examples of those 2 hour events.

Mystery of the Blues though was split in Europe and aired with George Hall bookends, and those were cut out by Lucas (of course!)

Dr Jones

'Mystery Of The Blues'

Sorry, another pointless debate from Dr Jones, but I watched 'MOTB' lastnight and boy did THAT episode really link the YIJ with the IJ films!

Seeing Harrison with the hat, jacket and whip!!

Hearing the Radiers March!

Seeing the action!

It felt so good to see another burst of Indy (only 7 years away from KotCS in Canon time of course), it was like a mini-Indiana Jones movie!

It was a fantastic way to keep that reminder that Young Indy IS the timeline and theory of Older Indy.

:cool:

Plus it was a fantastic episode on it's own, some magical music sets and Sean did some fantastic acting and made me smile as he enjoyed the jazz and blues.

Couple that with a fantastic action set in the warehouse raid with Elliot and Ernie (great character telling Elliot to 'SHUT UP!' in the truck), it was a very welcome and different episode of Young Indy unlike we're used to, so I hope the final two chapters are that good!

(Really, Harrison kicked ass and hearing that Raiders March...GOOSEBUMPS!)

(y)

TalonCard

If you liked Mystery of the Blues, you'll like the last two installments. ;) It's like a little pop culture trilogy for Indy...

TC

Adamwankenobi

And boy does it gives those TRUE fans problems! I bet they nearly fainted the night they saw Harrison Ford refer to Sean Patrick Flanery as his younger self. (y)

metalinvader

I always wondered why Ford forgot to take the walkie-talkie off of his belt.It's kind of funny that it's there for a brief second.

I've had this wish (Fan boy dream:D ) That a comic/novel would be published about the whole wyoming adventure.I'd really like to know just who were those men chasing after Gray cloud's peace pipe and how Indy got involved.

TalonCard

That innuendo-tossing villian was pretty intriguing, wasn't he? The Ultimate Guide would've been a great place to provide some background info on him.

Adamwankenobi said:
And boy does it gives those TRUE fans problems! I bet they nearly fainted the night they saw Harrison Ford refer to Sean Patrick Flanery as his younger self. (y)

If they had a problem with that, why would they be watching the YIJC? ;)

TC

oki9Sedo

He wasn't good in the cameo.

He was too "self-aware". I half expected him to wink or smile at the audience or something. He didn't take it seriously like the films.

Crack that whip

Huh. I don't get that feeling at all.

metalinvader said:
I always wondered why Ford forgot to take the walkie-talkie off of his belt.It's kind of funny that it's there for a brief second.

Oh, no. I really hope that's not referring to a goof in the show. I really didn't need to read that if it does... :(

Last edited:

Stoo

Glad to hear you enjoyed "Blues", Dr Jones.
metalinvader said:
I've had this wish (Fan boy dream:D ) That a comic/novel would be published about the whole wyoming adventure.I'd really like to know just who were those men chasing after Gray cloud's peace pipe and how Indy got involved.
Same here! The credits don't really give any clues as to who they are.:(
oki9sedo said:
He was too "self-aware". I half expected him to wink or smile at the audience or something. He didn't take it seriously like the films.
Ha ha! He does smile at the audience. Only the last line is chessy. Ford plays the rest of it straight.

oki9Sedo

Stoo said:
Glad to hear you enjoyed "Blues", Dr Jones.
Same here! The credits don't really give any clues as to who they are.:(
Ha ha! He does smile at the audience. Only the last line is chessy. Ford plays the rest of it straight.

He doesn't. In the car chase he looks like he's enjoying himself.

Crack that whip

Enjoying himself?! Horrors! :eek:

Actually, to me he looks like he pretty much always looks as Indiana Jones fleeing some adversary. What's the matter with that?

oki9Sedo

Crack that whip said:
Enjoying himself?! Horrors! :eek:

Actually, to me he looks like he pretty much always looks as Indiana Jones fleeing some adversary. What's the matter with that?

Watch it again! Its on youtube.

tupogirl

I think this is what really got me into watching the original films. It was a great way for a new fan like myself at the time to fall in love with the whole Indiana Jones *thing*.

Plus after all those dark war episodes, it was a lot of fun and entertaining to watch.

robweiner8

The Ford bookends are awesome! I also love it when Bechet tells Indy 'time for you to play the blues.' One of the best episodes.

Avilos

This is one of my absolute favorites. I just watched it again on my DVDs last night.

I missed it when it first aired and it built up this kind of mystical status in my imagination until I saw it in 1999 on Video for the first time. I had been mostly interested in Ford's appearance but did not know what I would think of the rest. I did not see most of the series at this point. But feel in love with the whole thing! I love the history and the music. This episode caused to buy most of the tapes and to record every movie USA network showed.

Of course Harrison is great! Its almost like one of the prologues from the films. A short mini-adventure.